Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
633 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First, I'd like to start by saying that I'm new to post, but have been using the valuable info from this site for some time.

I have a '94 Rodeo 4WD, automatic, 141k and original auto-hubs. Yesterday, I replaced the cv boots on the driver's side (took 12 hours, horrible job). Everything went very well, well, almost, but that's another story.

I finished the job by repacking the wheel bearings (with synthetic Mobil-1 "red" grease); one question arose. What on the automatic hubs do I grease? Anything? Haynes doesn't mention this. From experience, I lubed the clutch teeth and outer hub-cap.

This morning, while testing things out, after a bit of 4WD use, I disengaged the hubs; with the truck in 2H, at about 10 MPH, the driver side wheel would begin making a buzzing noise (similar to a cold, worn out speedometer cable). I reengaged 4WD and then disengaged and the noise went away. Any ideas on what would be causing this noise? Any guidence on what should be greased?

I'm going to tackle the passenger side boots Friday.

·
Premium Member
5,577 Posts
You probably have a bit too much grease, or just very gummy grease in that hub. That grinding noise was a partially engaged hub. Whenever I did mine, I would clean as much of the old grease off as possible, then just coat the innards of the hub with grease. If you glob it on, you'll potentially have a sticking problem. A good coating should be find though. Be sure to lube the CV shaft where it sticks out of the locking-nut too.

-Tad

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.