Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What's up everybody? I haven't been on here in a while and I could use a little advice. My wheel bearings are starting to sieze from when I was stuck a few months back, is there somewhere that's cheap but has good quality you recommend to get the replacements? Thanks in advance.

It's the front pass side that's going, but I was gonna replace both the front inners & outers...

·
Registered
7,284 Posts
VBTrooper said:
What's up everybody? I haven't been on here in a while and I could use a little advice. My wheel bearings are starting to sieze from when I was stuck a few months back, is there somewhere that's cheap but has good quality you recommend to get the replacements? Thanks in advance.

It's the front pass side that's going, but I was gonna replace both the front inners & outers...
Have you tried pulling, cleaning and re-packing them, yet ?

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Not yet, I figured they'd be a lost cause after sitting in the water for five days... I guess I can give that a try. Do these bearings require a press? If so I think it's out of my league due to my lack of tools.

·
Registered
7,284 Posts
VBTrooper said:
Not yet, I figured they'd be a lost cause after sitting in the water for five days... I guess I can give that a try. Do these bearings require a press? If so I think it's out of my league due to my lack of tools.
Don't remove the races. Just the bearings. Take the axle apart, and the bearings will pretty much just slip right out.

You'll have to buy new seals, but that's all.

Sitting in water is not going to kill the bearings.

Getting mud, and other grit in there, and then driving it, and/or driving it with no grease left in there... That will kill the bearings.

And sometimes, just plain old time/wear and tear will do it. LOL

But if they were fine before sitting in water, they are still fine. Just need to be cleaned and packed with new grease.

The real point is... Get the new seals, then get the bearings out and have a look. Don't just assume that they are bad. And don't let someone tell you that since they were sitting in water, you need new bearings.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I appreciate that, I was just pricing the bearings & it was about $200 for all the ones in the front... I haven't ever attempted to do anything like this, so I guess it will be an experience.

·
Registered
7,284 Posts
VBTrooper said:
I appreciate that, I was just pricing the bearings & it was about $200 for all the ones in the front... I haven't ever attempted to do anything like this, so I guess it will be an experience.
It will be easier than you might think.

And very messy. Get a couple of rolls of paper towels before you start.

Once you have it apart, clean every last bit of the old grease out of the bearings before you repack them. And clean every bit of the old grease out of the housing.

And don't skimp on the grease when you put it back together.

Put plenty in the housing.

You're taking it apart to do this anyway. There is no point in cheaping out on the quality or quantity of grease that you use.

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
Selador AKA Tat said:
Once you have it apart, clean every last bit of the old grease out of the bearings before you repack them. And clean every bit of the old grease out of the housing.
I've found that gasoline and or brake cleaner (not at the same time) work well. Wipe the excess grease off and then slosh them around (carefully) in the gas. Remove them, dry and spray with the brake cleaner to get the stubborn bits in the crevasses.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts