Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Opened the hood on my Amigo today for the first time in a couple of weeks and saw...whatever this is underneath.
engine1.jpg
engine1.jpg
engine3.jpg
:?

Like somebody spilled white paint all over the left side of the engine & battery. I don't see an origin point or anywhere it could be coming from, and the truck as been acting perfectly normal. Any ideas? :?

Attachments

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
Probably coolant, when it dries it will turn white like that. Check all of your hoses and see if you have a leak, also check your coolant level. It looks like it came from the reservoir.

·
Registered
2,184 Posts
they been painting new lines in your neck of the woods? I would agree with clipper most likely coolant though.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Coolant resrvoir was empty, radiator is full. Don't see any leaks with the naked eye. Truck hasn't been running hot at all...

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Not that I can see, but the fan is light-colored. It looks like it's coming from the reservoir hose or somewhere close, but I still can't tell.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Checked it with a pressure tester...crack in the radiator. Goodbye $450 :(

·
Registered
106 Posts
Goodbye $450??? If you spend $450 on a new radiator you sir are crazy! :shock:

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thats the best price I was quoted out of 3 places to replace the radiator and thermostat and a coolant flush...I'm handy but I'm not that handy :(

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
OUCH!!! 450?? I think I would take that job on myself. You could could always get help from the sharp folks on this very forum. :!:

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks; honestly I would, but I just don't have time right now; it's the insanely busy season where I work and I just need it done ASAP, as this is my only transportation right now. You guys have been a great help since I got my new 'zoo, but this is one that I had to turn over to someone smarter than me ( which isn't hard to do).

·
Registered
11,939 Posts
Replacing the thermostat on your engine requires removal of the intake manifold, it would take at least three hours just to do that. So if you actually need a thermostat, the price to replace the radiator and replace the thermostat for $450 seems pretty reasonable, considering $200 for the radiator plus another $50 or more for intake manifold gaskets, thermostat, coolant and transmission fluid.

·
Registered
2,184 Posts
So what ur saying is if you don't need a thermostat there's quite a bit of moola to save. Just a thought if dough is tight.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I don't know that the thermostat is bad, but in the past I've always just replaced it whenever I had any radiator work done. Is there an easy way to just check the thermostat itself without pulling the manifold?

·
Registered
11,939 Posts
If your coolant temp is around 180 degrees after warmup the thermostat is working. If it stuck shut the engine will overheat and you will figure that out quickly. If it stays open the engine doesn't warmup properly and performance is affected. An ODBII scan tool can accurately monitor coolant temperature if you want to test it.

I got an all metal radiator from Radiator Barn for a reasonable price and installed it my 02 in less than two hours. I also replaced the radiator hoses at the same time. I probably spent about $225 for everything.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts