Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have an 88 pup what axles are easiest to swap and what works best?

·
Registered
90 Posts
Any axle will work seeing as how youve got to cut the IFS out regardless. Im going to be using a dana 44 for my trooper since I have one.

For a correct width axle Id say either a bronco or wagoneer dana 44 or a toyota mini truck axle. If your building a hardcore crawler then just go straight to full width one tons. Dana 60 up front 14 bolt full floater in the rear. No reason to put a full width dana 44 up front just to realize later your gonna break it all the time on 38+ tires.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
do they work well with the stock powertrain?

·
Registered
6,859 Posts
With the right gearing. It will take a little fab work any way you do it.

There are a few SAS projects on here you can use for reference.

·
Registered
207 Posts
stomis said:
Any axle will work seeing as how youve got to cut the IFS out regardless. Im going to be using a dana 44 for my trooper since I have one.

For a correct width axle Id say either a bronco or wagoneer dana 44 or a toyota mini truck axle. If your building a hardcore crawler then just go straight to full width one tons. Dana 60 up front 14 bolt full floater in the rear. No reason to put a full width dana 44 up front just to realize later your gonna break it all the time on 38+ tires.
Why would you say your gonna break axle shafts(i assume you meant these) on the dana44?

jstader45 ----- as far as the topic is concerned, you can look at my build post(see my signature area) to give you an idea of what you will be getting yourself into!!

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks alot that thread will come in handy!

·
Registered
90 Posts
89Amigo said:
stomis said:

Why would you say your gonna break axle shafts(i assume you meant these) on the dana44?

jstader45 ----- as far as the topic is concerned, you can look at my build post(see my signature area) to give you an idea of what you will be getting yourself into!!
I would say youre gonna break dana 44 axle shafts on a 38in + tire because ugh you're gonna break dana 44 axle shafts on a 38in + tire...

Dana 44 under a mid size rig such as ours is only good to 35s w/ no after market shafts, 37 w/. Anytime you get bigger than that 37x12.5 on that axle its too much weight and too much leverage and is time for a dana 60. Dont buy into the BS people try to sell on the internet that my cousins brothers uncles sisters brother ran 44in tires on a dana 44 front with a big block in a fullsize chevy and never broke a thing. Cause if they didnt break that they didnt wheel it.

·
Registered
7,076 Posts
Agreed. D44's are not that strong. Along with breakage consider the stopping power the D44 will have with a 38" tire. You will want a D60 with tires that big.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts