Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a 01 rodeo sport 4x4 (ironman edition if that will change things) with 140k that has what I believe to be some sh*tty old OEM shocks #8-97253843-1 according to the stamp on the shock itself.

Looking for input and advice from those with experience, what shocks run well on these rigs? I was going to wait to get new shocks until I lifted it, but these shocks are rather unpleasant. Especially on gravel roads. I know my tires don't help matters (10 ply mt) but it rode quite rough on the underinflated passenger tires it had on when I bought it too.

Thanks in advance for the help!

Attachments

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Purple Rectangle Violet Font Tints and shades

rockauto got these dudes that say they don't work with the active suspension, is the shock mounting area actually differant with the ironman do you know? Or are they just saying I'll lose the dual mode shocks?

Thanks for the quick response man I'm diggin it

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
View attachment 124990
rockauto got these dudes that say they don't work with the active suspension, is the shock mounting area actually differant with the ironman do you know? Or are they just saying I'll lose the dual mode shocks?

Thanks for the quick response man I'm diggin it
Forget this post, I found the answer I was looking for (and a video!)

·
Registered
2,052 Posts
Well post up what you found, I'd like to read/watch it.

I've hard the Skyjacker Nitro shocks, and the M95 Performance Monotube. I've decided that I don't like either for my '99 Trooper. I think it weighs too much for those shocks. The truck seems very stable, but the shocks allow me to bounce all over the place. I had the Nitrocharged shocks for about 6 months before I blew them out. I hadn't adjusted my bump stops after the lift.

I fixed the bump stops and replaced the blown rear with the M95 Performance shocks. These are the ones that let me bounce all over the place. I know I could pay more for better shocks, but I don't know how much better, for how much more.

·
Super Moderator
2,783 Posts
In my experience unless you want to drive like a trophy truck all the high-falutin stuff isn’t worth it. KYB has two lines of non gas charged shocks. The heavier duty line (number for rears starts with 444*** vs 443***), are about the best for your money. Great stability on highway, without the jarring ride the gas charged shocks give you offroad.

·
Registered
954 Posts
I went through this too on my 2000 Ironman Amigo. Any 2000 Amigo front shock will fit. The rear shocks need to be longer. Trust me..look for rear shocks for a 1991 Trooper. I have KYB KG5534 on the rear of mine.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well post up what you found, I'd like to read/watch it.

I've hard the Skyjacker Nitro shocks, and the M95 Performance Monotube. I've decided that I don't like either for my '99 Trooper. I think it weighs too much for those shocks. The truck seems very stable, but the shocks allow me to bounce all over the place. I had the Nitrocharged shocks for about 6 months before I blew them out. I hadn't adjusted my bump stops after the lift.

I fixed the bump stops and replaced the blown rear with the M95 Performance shocks. These are the ones that let me bounce all over the place. I know I could pay more for better shocks, but I don't know how much better, for how much more.

I went through this too on my 2000 Ironman Amigo. Any 2000 Amigo front shock will fit. The rear shocks need to be longer. Trust me..look for rear shocks for a 1991 Trooper. I have KYB KG5534 on the rear of mine.
The KG5534 work well? I’m kinda just looking to have a lil softer ride right now. My amigo rides rougher than my buddies lifted 97 Tacoma on 10ply 33 MTs does😆

·
Registered
124 Posts
I had Rancho 9000’s front and rear, ran them for about 20 minutes in Anza Borrego desert, along with other FJ’s , 4 Runner etc. They failed by overheating. The front and rear suspension was a floppy mess. Same trail , same day…. no one else’s shocks had an issue. My Trooper was un-laden, no gear , no stuff, only an igloo cooler for the day. 32” all terrain tires, 1” lift. Ordered another set through warranty, Those again failed 4 weeks later. Contacted technical adviser guy at Tenneco, He offered to pull some right out of new stock, and give them a try. Ok, sure. Those failed. Removed them and got my money back. Bought some MX-6 adjustable shocks at 4 Wheel Parts. That was 3 years ago, without a single issue. You can order them in all sort of stroke lengths and mounting methods. Eric

·
Registered
124 Posts
MX - 6….. ummm, they are Pro Comp

·
Registered
50 Posts
The best shocks I've had as far as stuff like this goes were Bilstein 5100 series, the second best were Bilstein OEM blue and yellow shocks (4600 series I think). If they made Bilstein 5100s for our troopers I'd get those but since they do not offer them I am saving up to get OME shocks to replace the Rancho 5000s I currently have. They're not terrible but they're also nowhere near as good as Bilsteins.

The Bilstein 5100s firm up the ride without making it rough at the same time. I've also had good experiences with Koni, Tokico, and KYB for cars but I don't have any experience with them for 4x4 SUVs or trucks. I'm sure they're pretty good like the other guys are saying. Believe it or not, several people have said that Monroe makes a pretty good shock for the money if you get the "OEM+" versions.

The worst shocks I've ever had on anything had to be the rough country ones that came in a leveling kit. I want to say they were around or under $100 for 4 of them and you could definitely tell. I bought them with the intent to use them as placeholders until I could get the Bilstein 5100s and I couldn't wait to take them off.

·
Registered
877 Posts
The best shocks I've had as far as stuff like this goes were Bilstein 5100 series, the second best were Bilstein OEM blue and yellow shocks (4600 series I think). If they made Bilstein 5100s for our troopers I'd get those but since they do not offer them I am saving up to get OME shocks to replace the Rancho 5000s I currently have. They're not terrible but they're also nowhere near as good as Bilsteins.

The Bilstein 5100s firm up the ride without making it rough at the same time. I've also had good experiences with Koni, Tokico, and KYB for cars but I don't have any experience with them for 4x4 SUVs or trucks. I'm sure they're pretty good like the other guys are saying. Believe it or not, several people have said that Monroe makes a pretty good shock for the money if you get the "OEM+" versions.

The worst shocks I've ever had on anything had to be the rough country ones that came in a leveling kit. I want to say they were around or under $100 for 4 of them and you could definitely tell. I bought them with the intent to use them as placeholders until I could get the Bilstein 5100s and I couldn't wait to take them off.
I put the Bilstein 4600 series (OEM like) on my 99 Trooper and they have been incredible. Much better than the KYB's that were on it before, but the KYB's are solid for the price.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I put the Bilstein 4600 series (OEM like) on my 99 Trooper and they have been incredible. Much better than the KYB's that were on it before, but the KYB's are solid for the price.
If I don't end up getting OME rear coil springs and stiffer torsion bars I will probably get a set of 4600s. I've seen them last 250k miles on a half ton truck and still be good. Like you say, for the price KYB is hard to beat.

·
Registered
1986 Chevy K5 Blazer - 383 stroker - Posi front/Gov-Lok rear - 265R75/16 E Rated pizza cutters
4,749 Posts
I've got a 01 rodeo sport 4x4 (ironman edition if that will change things) with 140k that has what I believe to be some sh*tty old OEM shocks #8-97253843-1 according to the stamp on the shock itself.

Looking for input and advice from those with experience, what shocks run well on these rigs? I was going to wait to get new shocks until I lifted it, but these shocks are rather unpleasant. Especially on gravel roads. I know my tires don't help matters (10 ply mt) but it rode quite rough on the underinflated passenger tires it had on when I bought it too.

Thanks in advance for the help!
Since I never was a serious offroad driver ... but occasionally went trekking for the elusive wild trout ... I was happy with Rancho on everything I owned .... still am.

·
Registered
147 Posts
I also put the Bilstein 4600 series on my '01 Rodeo Sport and really like them. I'm running the Dobinsons Torsion Bars in front and Moog CC247 springs in the rear.

·
Registered
150 Posts
I was impressed with my Rancho RS500s. They were cheaper so I thought they would suck. So far theyre OK.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts