Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just recently got my Trooper and have been running the best gas I can find, but with gas prices on the rise, I'm wondering what I can use.

·
Registered
558 Posts
i have a 1.8L power pick up and a 2.6L powered trooper. Both are run on 87 octane, and have no problems whith pinging (and i tow up to 3,000lbs whith my pick up). Honestly unless your motor calls for highoctane your only wasting money. Higher octan gas burns whith fewer BTUs and has less potential energy thus makes you less power. The octane number refwers to the ability to resist detonation (pinging) and only allows you to run more compresion or more timing advance. Those two things are what makes more power. That said i think youll be good whith 87 octane, but if the motor pings bump up to 89.

·
Registered
140 Posts
I'm a college student...need I say more????

I use regular, whatever rating that is.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Always use 87 unless the user manual says otherwise OR you tow and experience pinging.

You're otherwise wasting money because there is no other benefit to running the engine on a higher octane.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Yeah - I've always used just regular 87 octane...unless I'm traveling with a full load of people and stuff in the back....then I'll actually splurge and fill up with super since I find it does help a little bit on the highway with all that extra weight that I normally don't carry around.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm coming from a turbocharged car, so higher octane was good. My wallet thanks you for the info.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Yeah a turbocharged car is probably not only higher compression, but also higher temp. Running a low octane there is asking for trouble. :)

Just a note from my experience. On trips from Paramus, NJ to Miami, FL I get a steady 21 MPG running 87 octane all the way with 4 people in the car and about 200 pounds of cargo.

I only wish I get that on my daily commutes to Stamford, CT :( :( :( (17-18)

·
Registered
113 Posts
¡Oracle! said:
Always use 87 unless the user manual says otherwise OR you tow and experience pinging.

You're otherwise wasting money because there is no other benefit to running the engine on a higher octane.
Yep

¡Oracle! said:
Yeah a turbocharged car is probably not only higher compression, but also higher temp. Running a low octane there is asking for trouble. :)
Lower static compression (normally used), higher dynamic compression when on boost.

·
Registered
79 Posts
EIGHTY SEVEN!!!! :!: :!: :!:

·
Registered
2 Posts
My 2000 Rodeo 3.2 (stock) runs great on 87....

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.