Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I really need you experts to tell me what Im looking at here on my 91 Trooper V6 2.8 I am struggling to figure out what someone has done here. I have been chasing an oil leak in this area this week and already replaced the oil sending unit for the oil light and it was still leaking so I ordered a sending unit for the gauge which is supposed to be right here on top of the oil filter but...it isn't there. Gunked and washed it today and figured out that the oil is leaking from the gasket behind the actual filter housing..but there is more than that wrong here. I took some pics for you guys to look at and see if you can figure out if maybe someone put this oil filter housing on wrong..or if its the wrong one..or what is supposed to go where. You cant exactly see it in the pictures so to clarify that orange hose is about a foot long and runs from the port in the bottom of the oil filter housing to another port in top right to the left of the oil filter itself (this is where I believe the pressure sending unit is supposed to be). My oil pressure gauge has never worked but I already knew that it wasn't hooked up since the connector for it is just hanging unplugged down below. Would love to fix this but unsure what to do. Help!! Thanks a bunch!!

Attachments

·
Registered
9,719 Posts
That Trooper had the tow package and as such it was equipped with an engine oil cooler and the necessary hoses. As they age (25 years), the hoses tend to develop a nasty leak and what you have there is how the P.O. dealt with the leak. Some folks just plug the 2 holes (pipe plugs? - GeoffinBC is best authority here aside from Jerry) Others get the oil filter adapter from a Rodeo or non tow package Trooper (V-6). Dennis

Reactions: FirstGenTrooperGirl

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's great! Thank you! So, if I don't need to replace this housing (which I don't guess I do-the leak is coming from the gasket between it and the block. The hose they put on it is not leaking)--How do I get my oil pressure gauge working? Can I thread the sending unit into the hole where the unit for the light is and sacrifice that one? or will it only fit in one of the holes where that hose is? (I haven't gotten the sensor in the mail yet to hold it up to the holes there). And if I take this off and redo the gasket and reinstall will the same paper gasket fit both the oil cooled and non-oil cooled models? Or do I have to hunt up something different? Or is the sending unit for the oil pressure gauge located in an altogether different place on this model because I honestly cant find where there is one anywhere. Sure appreciate you taking the time to help me figure this out!

·
Registered
291 Posts
Hey buddie!!, lets make a run to P A P and get ya one off an S-10 with both sensers on it, cause you know whats gonna eventually happen to that hose.....right?...lol
And Dennis is right...Geoff is great on these motors!!..he probally knows if the S-10 route will work or not, dont know if you can plug the fitting where that banjo bolt is or not...it is threaded inside where the banjo bolt goes, so maybe....and if thats true, the other end just screws into a fitting, maybe the sending unit ur getting will fit that hole...and a new gasket and you be leak free...from there anyway...lol

·
Registered
9,719 Posts
I know from experience that the S-10 will NOT work (sorry). Because the S-10s have their starter on the passenger side, their oil filter is where the Isuzu starter is located. I don't remember exactly where the various sensors were on mine. Dennis

·
Registered
5,755 Posts
I'm not sure why even the workshop manual didn't have a location for the oil pressure gauge if/when the oil cooler was installed, but after poking around a bit on Zoe's Trooper I located it - on hers its just around the corner from the oil filter/switch, but on the bottom... i.e: crawl under the front of the truck and look up on the driver side just forward of where the starter is:

Let me know what you find on yours!

Jonathan

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
shaggydoink said:
I'm not sure why even the workshop manual didn't have a location for the oil pressure gauge if/when the oil cooler was installed, but after poking around a bit on Zoe's Trooper I located it - on hers its just around the corner from the oil filter/switch, but on the bottom... i.e: crawl under the front of the truck and look up on the driver side just forward of where the starter is:

Let me know what you find on yours!

Jonathan
Thanks so much for going to that trouble for me! I am just more confused than ever though! LOL Here is a photo I just took of what I have and I kinda took it from the same angle for comparison: It looks to me like the bottom of my "bypass hose" is hooked in where your sensor is, but what I cant figure is would there be two OTHER ports dedicated for an oil cooler? Maybe there is another one up there that I cant see and its plugged with a bolt or something but I don't think so. What do think? Is this the correct housing for an oil cooler model? If it is, Ill just replace the gasket, put the sensor where is goes, eliminate the hose and plug the extra hole...but Im not convinced it is yet. hmmmm..Thoughts?

Just to clarify, that big knobby looking this next to my one sensor is what I saw in there and originally thought WAS the sensor but after looking closer, you cant see it good in the photo but that's a big banjo bolt type fitting for that orange hose.

Attachments

·
Registered
7,076 Posts
If your absolutely sure the gasket is leaking then the whole works needs to come out and you will see where your sensors go. It really does not matter where you choose to put them. So long as the orifice on the sensor is in an oil galley and the body of the sensor does not hit anything. My money would be on the hoses leaking. In all my years working on these things I have not seen the base gasket leak.

If you replace the base gasket all the models will interchange. One from an S-10 or Camaro will be a good part number. Or look it up for a Trooper on rockauto.com

As for eliminating the oil cooler I would recommend it. If you still want one then I would use a sandwich adapter with an aftermarket cooler that uses common AN fittings. The aftermarket hose lasts forever and it's replaceable if it ever gets damaged. Not to mention you can route it better and make it look much cleaner.

If you do run to the junkyard take your filter housing because a 4x4 S-10 housing should be the same as a non oil cooled Trooper and Rodeo (but don't quote me). 2WD S-10's are definitely different.

·
Registered
9,719 Posts
Yeah, when I was looking a 2WD (S-10) was the only thing they had. Dennis

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Shaggy!! I could kiss ya: You FOUND it!!! After looking at your pics and arrows and cool stuff...yep there it is. It is plugged. I had to go back outside after I saw the pic and crawl under the truck with the light and put my own eyeballs on it to believe it. No WONDER I couldn't find the stupid sensor..it isn't there! LOL So, I am in business now. Thanks so much to ALL of you for helping me figure this out. All I need to do is order the 99 cent gasket, redo that and pull that bolt out, put this shiny new sensor I have in my hand into its home and Im good to go! Woo hoo! No more $20 monthly oil bill for me :)

Sorry for leaving ya hanging all day, I been over at Tommy's place helping him put some more bits and pieces back together on his n just got home.

To respond to Geoff, nope not planning on replacing the oil cooler right now...maybe later and yes, I am absolutely certain that it is leaking from behind the housing. I cleaned and degreased the whole area, wiped the crud all away and waited til everything was nice and dry. I had the truck on a jack stand with the wheel off so I could see everything really well. Had hubby crank up the truck and after about 20 seconds running, I could see the oil start to dribble out from the behind the bottom of the housing right above the oil pan seal. The hoses and other sensors plugs etc stayed dry so guess Im the one weird one out of the bunch!

·
Registered
7,076 Posts
When you take it apart give the gasket surface a good inspection. Clean with a razor blade and then run a fine file across it carefully and look for high spots. Remember you must also replace the o-ring on the bolt if it is there. The Banjo version may not have one. Order new copper crush washers too. The ID is 18MM if memory serves me right.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
geoffinbc said:
When you take it apart give the gasket surface a good inspection. Clean with a razor blade and then run a fine file across it carefully and look for high spots. Remember you must also replace the o-ring on the bolt if it is there. The Banjo version may not have one. Order new copper crush washers too. The ID is 18MM if memory serves me right.
I'll definitely do that! I expect I'll get to this on Monday sometime and I'll be sure to hit you up if I run into anything else I can't figure out. Thank you so much! I sure do appreciate all you guys!

·
Registered
7,076 Posts
Oh and the best way to get at it is to jack up the engine by the oil pan and remove the engine mount. Use a small piece of plywood between the pan and jack.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
DSUZU said:
Yeah, when I was looking a 2WD (S-10) was the only thing they had. Dennis
Ha! Im with ya on this one. I went to the junkyard Thursday and looked while I was there since I knew I had some kind of problem here. I saw that an S10 was different but they only had 2WD at ours too. Because of that I had written off the S10 as a part option in my head! It never occurred to me at the time that a 4 WD one might be different so it's definitely good info to know to keep an eye out for a 4WD S10! That might come in handy one of these days!

·
Registered
7,076 Posts
Yea the 2WD one pointed down and back just like the Camaros. The 4WD one poked out under the exhaust facing the wheel well.

Here is a pic of one.

Also keep in mind if it is impossible to find a non oil cooled adapter as long as you fins one that fits it does not matter if it is exactly the same as the factory one.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts