Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
123 Posts
Howdy. Seafoam is a brand name for a top end cleaner. I think they make a few differnt products now. NAPA sells it as well as most other chains. It's decent stuff and I've used it on my old Scouts, but I've heard rumors of the possibiligy of sensor damage.

-Kevin

· Registered
123 Posts
Howdy. Well, yes and no. Jules, I think your mechanic is worried about excessive buildup. Sometimes if you send a cleaner through a REALLY dirty engine, a large chunk of carbon can be dislodged and block the oil passageway to a hydraulic lifter and cause eventual lifter failure. This is pretty damn rare though. If you have an adjustable lifter set up, you could remove enough carbon to cause slack in the system due to excessive valve deposits, and hence have a noisy typewriter sound under the valve covers, this only requires an adjustment, and again, is pretty damn rare.

Regular oil is a detergent oil, and your mechanic is betting on these detergents to clean up the system. Here's something else you can do. While changing your oil, let the engine get warm, drain out 1qt of oil, and replace it with an engine flush solution. Don't drive with the flush in. Leave the flush in for a few minutes with the engine running and then change your oil as normal. All in all Jules, I don't think a good cleaner is anything to worry about.

-Kevin

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.