Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
11,705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
To the right of the rear wiper rocker switch is a rectangular, plastic cover plate. I'm considering placing one of those sticky back clocks there. Did a factory option reside in that recess?

thanks,
shooter

·
Registered
10,560 Posts
If you pop that plate out there are 3 more slots for switches just like the wiper switch. Whether Isuzu actually used those slots I can't say.

On both of my 1st gens I've put the fog light rocker switch cross wise there.

·
Registered
11,705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
squatch said:
If you pop that plate out there are 3 more slots for switches just like the wiper switch. Whether Isuzu actually used those slots I can't say.

On both of my 1st gens I've put the fog light rocker switch cross wise there.
Allrighty. Thank you.

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
I know they put the 4x4 of the year emblem there once. But other than that nothing. I'm running the rear defroster switch over there because I find it stupid to have my rear wiper on the other side of the dash from the rear defogger?

·
Registered
2,785 Posts
yep mine has the 4X4 of the year there.

one person i know used a few rear wiper switches, and used them for controlling his WVO fuel system.

original tank is diesel, and a 2ND tank has the Waste Veggie Oil

EDIT
out side the usa,
i remember some of the OZ troopers where sold with two tanks, they may have had the tank butten there?

as well as a low speed rear diff lock Jerry spoke of one time?

i know its not the rear heater, its on the other side buy the rear defogger and GLOW timer light.

·
Registered
221 Posts
My Jackaroo has the auxiluary fuel tank pump switch in one of the spare holes, but there is still 2 spare spaces for 2 more switches.

·
Registered
10,560 Posts
Balka Roo said:
My Jackaroo has the auxiluary fuel tank pump switch in one of the spare holes, but there is still 2 spare spaces for 2 more switches.
You folks got dual fuel tanks? I want one. Can you post us a few pics?

·
Registered
5,214 Posts
squatch said:
Balka Roo said:
HEY MARK, YES SOME OF THE EARLY TROOPERS DID COEM WITH DUAL TANKS, WHAT THEY DID WAS USE THE ORIG 84-85 ABOUT 13 GALLON TANK THAT THE ORIG TROOPER CAME WITH ALONG WITH THE BIG REAR TANK, LOOK ON THE PASS SIDE RIGHT INFRT OF THE RR AXLE THERE IS A LARGE EMPTY SPACE THERE , YOU CAN MOUNT THE EARLY SHORT BED PICKUP UP 81-87 TANK THERE ALL MOST A BOLT IN , YOU HAVE TO MAKE ONE BRACKET AND THEN THE FILLER NECK HOOK UP , THE LATE 88 AND UP TANKS WONT WORK, DIFF SHAPE AND TOO BIG, AND IT CAN BE WIRED TO THE STOCK GAUGE TO READ CORRECTLY , JERRY

·
Registered
3,404 Posts
JLEMOND said:
HEY MARK, YES SOME OF THE EARLY TROOPERS DID COEM WITH DUAL TANKS, WHAT THEY DID WAS USE THE ORIG 84-85 ABOUT 13 GALLON TANK THAT THE ORIG TROOPER CAME WITH ALONG WITH THE BIG REAR TANK, LOOK ON THE PASS SIDE RIGHT INFRT OF THE RR AXLE THERE IS A LARGE EMPTY SPACE THERE , YOU CAN MOUNT THE EARLY SHORT BED PICKUP UP 81-87 TANK THERE ALL MOST A BOLT IN , YOU HAVE TO MAKE ONE BRACKET AND THEN THE FILLER NECK HOOK UP , THE LATE 88 AND UP TANKS WONT WORK, DIFF SHAPE AND TOO BIG, AND IT CAN BE WIRED TO THE STOCK GAUGE TO READ CORRECTLY , JERRY
:shock: AWESOME

·
Registered
10,560 Posts
JLEMOND said:
squatch said:
Balka Roo said:
Dang now there is even more stuff on my to do list. 600 mile range sounds real good for those Uwharrie trips. I take it these were LWB 2 doors with the side filler for the front tank?

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
My Ls had a factory ash tray in that location. I cliped on and held a little ash tray.

·
Registered
2,976 Posts
The factory clock actually went in the consol where the coin tray is. I have one but cannot find the trim piece. The wiring is already there. I plugged mine in and it worked right away. I would like to find the trim piece to set up the digital clock.

·
Registered
2,785 Posts
in the USA, the 84 and 85 troopers have NO REAR TANK.

its a mid ship tank, the filler is in frunt of the rear tire.
makes a easy way to spot a 84/85 trooper, the other way is there a 4 speed ONLY in 84/85

no other trooper in the usa was sold with the mid ship tank.

if you could find one, you could graft the fuel door in to a 86/91 trop.

as Jerry said the S\B pup tanks 81/87 will work too and hold about 1 or 2 gallons more than the 84/85 trop tank there about 10 the pup tanks are about 13.

LOL i go 575 miles, on just the main tank getting 27/29 mpg

·
Registered
221 Posts
squatch said:
Balka Roo said:
Squatch,
Yep, Jerrys spot on, early (81-83) Jackaroos only had one tank mounted in the RH side and that was 50 Litres, (I think thats 13 US gallons) which was too small so for 84 they put another tank the "same" 50 Liter size in the rear doubleing the amount of fuel storage, and then after 84 they dropped the tank in the original side position and put the bigger tank in the back. Duel tanks were only available on the 2 doors and went out when they started selling 4 doors. I don't have a photo that clearly shows my tank hatches at the moment but "Andy" from Indonesia posted this magazine photo in a thread several months ago and it is "exactly" the same model as mine and clearly shows the 2 hatches for the 2 tanks.

Andys Magazine photo

This is mine !
Its a bit hard to see the doors in this pic but they are there.[/img]

·
Registered
3,998 Posts
Sexy! It even got the centerfold. :lol: :D

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
Balka Roo said:
squatch said:
Balka Roo said:
Squatch,
Yep, Jerrys spot on, early (81-83) Jackaroos only had one tank mounted in the RH side and that was 50 Litres, (I think thats 13 US gallons) which was too small so for 84 they put another tank the "same" 50 Liter size in the rear doubleing the amount of fuel storage, and then after 84 they dropped the tank in the original side position and put the bigger tank in the back. Duel tanks were only available on the 2 doors and went out when they started selling 4 doors. I don't have a photo that clearly shows my tank hatches at the moment but "Andy" from Indonesia posted this magazine photo in a thread several months ago and it is "exactly" the same model as mine and clearly shows the 2 hatches for the 2 tanks.

This is mine !
Its a bit hard to see the doors in this pic but they are there.[/img]
That dual tanks setup is only for Australian market. I never read that another country had it. But maybe in Africa that also need for long range fuel tank had the same dual range setup.
A friend of mine succeed to modify his Trooper with 30lt side tank + 80lt back tank, Imagine what you can do with 50lt side tanks + 80lt back tank.

Graham, your Jackaroo awesome. Did you modify the middle seat? It looks a little bit different from the original seat on that magazine ads.

Back on the main issue, the plate is places for various switches, depend on which country that vehicle marketed.
According to late '80s International Market "Isuzu Trooper Owner's and Driver's Manual Book", that is a place for :
RHD:
- Rear Fog Light Switch (Only for Europe)
- Front Fog Light Switch (Only for Europe)
- Rear Wiper and Washer Switch
- Quick Warming Up Switch (for 4JB1T diesel)
LHD:
- Air Source selective Switch (Only for Europe)
- Rear Wiper and Washer Switch
- Rear Fog Light Switch (Only for Europe)
- Front Fog Light Switch
- Quick Warming Up Switch (for 4JB1T diesel)
Sorry I don't have time to scan the Manual Book right now, but I hope that can explain some.

Andy

·
Registered
221 Posts
[quote="ubs_lover"

Graham, your Jackaroo awesome. Did you modify the middle seat? It looks a little bit different from the original seat on that magazine ads.

Andy[/quote]

Geez Andy, you must have good eyes !

My seat isn't modified but it is the reclining split bench type with the arm rests that can either be mounted on the side to use as an arm rest, on the edge of the seat back to make a wider back rest or if you are using it as a bed the armrest fits into the front edge of the seat itself and gives you a semi solid surface up to trhe rear of the front seat. The magazine photo probibally has them in a different position at the time the photo was taken.

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
Balka Roo said:
ubs_lover said:

Andy
Geez Andy, you must have good eyes !

My seat isn't modified but it is the reclining split bench type with the arm rests that can either be mounted on the side to use as an arm rest, on the edge of the seat back to make a wider back rest or if you are using it as a bed the armrest fits into the front edge of the seat itself and gives you a semi solid surface up to trhe rear of the front seat. The magazine photo probibally has them in a different position at the time the photo was taken.
Hahaa... My eyes isn't that good enough, at first I thought that your seat is higher and the main back rest is too close to the windows, unlike the original bench seat. Like you said, it's probably because of the different photo angle.

I'm using that bench seat either, modify it from 4dr LS. That bench seat is a very brilliant idea.

Andy

·
Registered
10,560 Posts
Thanks for the info. I'm sure a filler could be worked out but the other problem I see is that in those years Pup and Trooper that would have been a carb tank and not a FI tank. That would be a pain to deal with as well for a conversion.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts