Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 91 Rodeo 3.1, i have found a 90ish Trooper at the wrecker and I was wondering if I can take the front axles off of this thing? I have allready taken the hubs and they fit my Rodeo, but I could use a couple of spare axles too, if they fit. Please Help.

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
Don't know if the 1G Rodeos used the Corporate diffs or not, but if they did, and yours are open; check to see if that Troop has the G80 code on the Option plate on the firewall. If it does, then it has the LSD option which is quite desirable.

Other than that, I wouldn't think there would be much of value, unless you can get the whole vehicle for cheap and then sell the crap out of it on eBay - parting it out.

Heck, I'd love to get my hands on an LSD diff for dirt cheap........ :roll:

I would even love to get my hands on two front diff brackets for the drop-diff mod......... :roll:

Cheers,

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
What I need for my Rodeo is:
- pitman arm
- tie rods (I just replaced 1, 3 more to go)
- spare axle(s) would be nice

Can I get these from a 91ish Trooper??? :D

Please help this won't last long at the wrecker.

·
Premium Member
5,577 Posts
The rear axle, no. The Trooper has an Isuzu 12-bolt. You have the GM axle, or a Dana 44 (I always forget the year split, so I won't even guess).

There are other little bits. Driveshaft flanges. Springs. Depending on the engine (2.8l v6) some other things like the oil cooler, radiator (maybe), engine accessories, etc may fit as well.

-Tad

·
Registered
566 Posts
tie rods (I just replaced 1, 3 more to go)
Why do you need 4 tie rods? What are you doin to these poor things? And your pitman arm?

I forget the year split on the axle change too, but I think its 93. A 91 def has the gm10 bolt axle. So the trooper axles might not work, but theres probably a lot more gm 10 bolts than isuzu 12 bolts in any given junkyard. I wouldn't know what to find em in, maybe a chevy s10, do some research.

The front axles should be the same, you can use them.

And if you happen to find a trooper with 31x10.5 tires- the wide tire option, it has 4.77 gears. Def get those. :D

Mike
________
CHEVROLET BERETTA SPECIFICATIONS

·
Registered
82 Posts
You should be able to use the front axles because it was all corp. 10 bolt 87-present Trooper IIRC. GM 10 bolt on Rodeo? I thought only corp. 12 bolts and various Dana 44s back there. Then again I've only owned early and late model 1st. gen Troopers. Learn something new everyday about them Rodeos I guess.

All 84-91 Troopers can fit 31x10.50 tires w/ no lift etc. on any wheel so 31x10.50 tire doesnt mean 4.77s. I could be wrong but I believe the 89 RS was the only 1st. gen Trooper available with the "wide-track" option ie. 4.77s. Look for the "snowflake" wheels and Troopers 89 and newer if it was an option on anything but the RS short wheel base truck.

As for the tie rods thats what I like to hear (Honky Tonk'n). Its not if they'll break but when. Grab 'em and rock that truck. I really don't beat on my Trooper any more (restifying it) but I used to go through them like water. Wheelin a full size F250 now to see if I can still fit where the Zu used to go.

Thanks
Craig

·
Registered
558 Posts
yikes thats alot of tie rods. In my 80 pickup its manual steering, so i have never broken or bent tie rods but i have tore shoulder and fore arm muscles :shock: . Now my fore arms and shoulders are just huge from wheeling whith manual steering :lol: As far as the axles, the troopers never came whith Dana44s so the rear axle will not work. But the front axle shafts should be the same so i would pull those. And if you are going through the trouble of pullinbg the pitman arm i would pull the trailing arm and intermediate tie rods off too. Those just whent out in my 80 pickup and by the sounds of it youll be hammering that thing. Good luck...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.