1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7,284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's what may be a dumb question.

What are tire patches made from ?

I mean, the answer "rubber" is obvious.

But... is it similar enough to an inner tube rubber, that a piece of inner tube could be used ?

·
Registered
4,823 Posts
in tenn we use old flannel shirts and denim :thefinger:

really,coming from you....the dali lama of all things findable on the net :shock: ...SEARCH...there is a tool bar at top of screen that says google beside it...type your question in there. :p
and an inner tube will not be strong enough for a lasting repair on a vehicle tire,the air pressure will force the thin rubber out of the hole in the tire,where the steel belts will kill it, now a thick boot and then a tube is acceptible

now you can drill holes in the tire,wire it together like stitches and fill in the voids with plugs,that'll get you off the trail...always carry a cordless(or corded drill),wire,tire plugs(and tools) and a source of air...you should be good to go

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
A tire patch or "boot" is made up of 2 rubber compounds, the primary compound being a 90 durometer rating with a thin secondary outer layer with a duromiter rating of 60. Woven into the primary patch is a, for the lack of a better discription, a spiderweb weave of kevlar cord. The stem (plug you accually see coming up through the tire) is the 90 durometer inner core. The reason for the softer 60 durometer outer shell is better adhesion to the inner tire wall structure.

At least, that's how they were made 13 years ago when I worked for a tire shop for 2 years. Doubt seriously anything has changed since then.

·
Registered
3,587 Posts
meh... proper thickness rubber and some rubber cement will fix anything... the duct tape of the tire world. I have 3 sidewall patches made this way on one tire. The tire has been about 60k including highway since having the patches installed and has NEVER once had an issue. :)

·
Registered
7,284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you.

I did google, but didn't find anything at all like Coyote's answer.

And that is the sort of answer I wanted.

Thanks again.

~~~~~~~

I ran tubes without any sort of boot or liner, in full size "tubeless" tires, for over three years, with absolutely no problem. If the rubber was going to get 'pushed through' and damaged by the steel belts, it most certainly would have happened with those tires.

·
Registered
7,284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
dman4486 said:
meh... proper thickness rubber and some rubber cement will fix anything... the duct tape of the tire world. I have 3 sidewall patches made this way on one tire. The tire has been about 60k including highway since having the patches installed and has NEVER once had an issue. :)
That's what I am thinking.

I have a studded snow tire that I'd like to get at least another winter out of. LOTS of tread left on these, so once the studs are too small to be worth anything, I hoped to remove what was left of them, and continue running the tires as DDs.

There is a small "crack" on the inside of the sidewall of one tire.

This crack wouldn't even pull open, when the tire was on the 'stretcher' at the tire place, where they were going to patch a leak in the tread area.

But when they saw the 'crack' they refused to go any firther.

I have some HUGE old inner tubes. Very thick rubber

I am considering making a patch pretty much just big enough to cover the 'crack'. Well sanded on both sides. Tire also well sanded. Then heat with a torch. Then apply patch.

Once done, cut a larger one, to cover that one.

Probably be a bear to balance. But I would hope it would at least last until I no longer felt it was a waste to get rid of the tire. LOL

I have gotten good at plugging leaks in the tread area, so no problem there.

Of course, the alternative is to put a tube in the thing instead. LOL And I have already located one for that purpose, should I need it.

·
Registered
3,587 Posts
Might be easier to just put the tube in and be done with it.... but more fun to see if your invention will hold :twisted:

·
Registered
7,284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
dman4486 said:
Might be easier to just put the tube in and be done with it.... but more fun to see if your invention will hold :twisted:
Dood ! We think too much alike !

·
Registered
7,284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
GoodyMOBB said:
Why not just leave the studs? I ran studded tires on my work truck one season and ran the tires down to bald (2/32) without any problems. Studs just wore down with the tread...
Studded tires are only legal from nov 1 to last of march, here.

Whether they are worn down or not, if you are caught with studs in the tires, april 1 to the last day of sept, you get a ticket.

Ask me how I know.

:oops: :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
7,284 Posts
Aaaaand another way to use innertube as a patch.

Patched my favorite boots with innertube and shoe goo.
bootpatch.JPG

The soles had delaminated on these boots.

Basically huge gaping holes along the sides.

I glued the soles back together. Then I glued the patch over the sides, just for good measure.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
Selador said:
......................I did google, but didn't find anything at all like Coyote's answer.....................
My answer was only because I had to have a 2 hour long saftey & training corse on proper tire repair & watch the unforgetable video "You Dont Get A Second Chance! The Dangers Of 2-piece Rims."
Kinda cool video. I still have it at the house SOMEWHERE,,,,,,,I think! :lol:
They sat a 175 lb. crash test dummy over a 10.00 X 20 truck tire & overinflated it & when it blew off the rim the 175 lb. dummy went about 10' into the air & his leg flew off! :shock:.................:lol:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts