Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
13,615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I finally decided to check out my wiring harnes in my 2000 amigo.
I'm glad I did what a fricken mess !!!

This was only the beginning .....

I'm amazed at the sand contamination...

It looks like an idiot did this wiring harness wrap !!!

This was a main chunk of wrap and it still has sand in it to.

This is a god offall mess !!! I pulled the brain loose and the plugs and actualy spun everything one complete revolution to untangle the menasury...

So many wires are folded back on themselves and pinched and stuff it can't be good...

This is about the only thing I could think of to clean everything safely with, I'm worried about contaminating any other connections and stuff...

This is how it looks after rotating the brain and master plugs. Not sure what I want to do at this point. I need to drive it home so I think I'll put in a few zip ties to let it air out over night.
I need some advise guys !!!!

·
Registered
9,936 Posts
This has always been a sore spot with me. Why are the wiring harnesses and wires in cars generally so unprotected? Makes no sense. You would think every bit of it would be contained in some sort of plastic conduit or something....

Bart

·
Registered
13,615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It was wrapped pritty good but some how sand was all through it !!

This is the best I could do for now till tomorrow. It really needs to be put in two or three looms or something. I don't want it wrapped tight again just to get packed full of crud. See how it runs now !!! It's had kind of a flat spot in the lower rpms like a poor reading of a sensor or something.

·
Registered
13,615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
My biggest bitch about this is the crappy tangled/intertwined mess (from the factory) is. Most rigs when you strip back the harness wrap the wires are generally the same length and not twisted around each other in a cluster.

·
Registered
8,073 Posts
Yeesh...would it be cold to say "better you than me"?

Was your 'migo in a flood?

·
Registered
13,615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Lol !! no flood just my buddy that owned it before me had it down in the sand a few times. I think his kids must have buried it or something.

It's just an explosion of wires !!! It's like watching a monkey screw a foot ball lol

Even the internal wires have taped up junctions...

All I can do at this point is just work with what's there..

I unplugged the brain this time so I could pull everything back and get it as symplified as possible.
I put some dielectric grease on the master plugs before sticking them back in.

I used a little bit of a wrap to encase the wires and help me get it taped back up.

This is the end result !! About the only thing I accomplished was to untwist the loom and take out all the sharp kinks and folds. It's still really rigid. Most of the flex will be were the wires run into the brain. I just don't want it to rub raw against the inner fender.
I guess it depends on how much the engine torques/flexes. Something to keep an eye on...

·
Registered
304 Posts
kinks are bad and will lead to the copper breaking down and eventually breaking. Most likely these wires are multistrand and can take the it.

But that "spaghetti" mess is not really as bad as it looks and may in fact have a purpose. Having all of the wires running parallel with each other causes electromagnetic interference (EMI) due to signals coupling onto each other. It's a capacitive coupling meaning as the voltage in one wire goes up for whatever reason, it induces a current in the adjacent wire to also cause the voltage to jump up.

In all cases it is definitely better to have wires running perpendicular to each other to remove that coupling. The harness winding looks to have done just that. No amount of shielding (other than the absolute distance between the wires it creates) will reduce this coupling effect. I would be careful about trying to straighten everything out with those zip ties cause we just don't if this is the work of a truly good design engineer or the typical work of Midwest union labor.

·
Registered
13,615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I removed all the zip ties. I just used them over night to drive home is all. My biggest observation was the wires being folded over tightly and being kinked. I've worked on several brands of equipment and dozens of brands of vehicles. This was one of the most unsatisfactory wire loom routings that I've come across. I went through it because several people have had issues with wires breaking connection in the tight pinch zones/areas, So hopefully I have saved myself from any future situations. The other thing I don't like about having that large of an abundance of wires strune together is if by chance one ever burns,it will set off a chain reaction and fry everything.

I think the pulse protection/safeguard your talking about is these harnesses have an external coaxal
Type of loom that gives extra ground and feed back protection ...

·
Registered
571 Posts
It would be a real PITA to try to separate all those wires now that they're all bundled together. Looks like whoever did that wiring job figured it was better to have all the wires in one place, rather than to have a bunch of groups of wires running everywhere.

If you melted some shrink wrap around all that they should be fine. That would last a lot longer than electrical tape and zip ties.

As for a wire meltdown, That's not really something common to happen unless you have some high-voltage wires bundled up in there. Say for a subwoofer or some high voltage external lights. If you're really concerned and do have some wires for electrically intense devises I would just pinpoint them and separate them from the rest of the wires. But if it was me I wouldn't worry about it too much. From my experiences and observations wires generally burn out from improper use by the driver. I had a friend who melted his wiring harness because he consistently blasted his dual 12" subwoofers like there was no tomorrow..

·
Registered
13,615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Lol !!! Good storie and good point. These are just the factory wires all my extra amp and light wires are routed on the battery side. I guess it's a big strand because of the brain being located right there , instead of being in the cab. I font plan on blasting it around in the sand nearly as much as the previous owner (my buddy) lol... As BigSwede put it it kinda looked like it was in a flood.... Just an abusive relationship !!!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts