Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
7,284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My neighbor moved away and abandoned 5 cats. I have been feeding them ever since.

The older male and female are brother and sister.

The two younger males, and the younger female are the offspring of the older female. (And I think the older male, her brother, had something to say about their lineage...)

That's not the bad part.

Both females were recently pregnant. The younger one, for the first time. Pretty sure that all three males had some say in the lineage of both of these ill-fortuned litters.

Still not the bad part.

The younger female had her kittens about a month ago. On the roof, right over my bedroom. So I heard them. But not for long. They mysteriously disappeared.

Today, the older female gave birth.

Wasn't long, and I caught the younger female... Eating a still alive, still wet from delivery, kitten...

Other than disbelief, and anger, I have no words to describe how I felt.

About an hour later, I took their food out.

They all came running, as usual.

The only one who ate much at all, was the older female.

Bottom line, they were all, already full, except her.

Doesn't take many brain cells to figure out why.

I seriously considered getting out the shotgun and shooting all but the older female...

·
Registered
4,646 Posts
:shock:

-gulp-

well, that is quite interesting...

·
Registered
7,284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
94Rodayo4x4 said:

-gulp-

well, that is quite interesting...

I have to say, I really do like cats.

But.

I've known for years that cats do not think at all.

People THINK they think. They SEEM like they think, once in a great while. But they don't really think.

They have great reflexes, and great instincts. And that makes them SEEM smart to a lot of people.

But they do not reason in any way. They cannot grasp even the simplest associative concept, unless it is forced on them over and over and over and over and over and over and over again. Constantly. And absolutely consistantly. Let up for just one time, and they forget all about it, all over again.

Associative concept. A good example: Point at something.

What does a dog do ? They look at what you pointed at.

What does a cat do ? Looks at your finger.

Cats. Do. Not. Think.

And apparently... Kittens... They're what's for dinner.

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
Competition for nesting space and resources is usually what make queens eat each other's litters. When there's less competition they'll have an opposite behavior, they'll care for and even nurse each other's litters. Toms will do it to eliminate the offspring of a competing tom. Rarely queens will eat their own litter if they don't believe they'll survive. Dogs are about as well known for eating their puppies.

Cats do show intelligent and reasoned behavior, but not the same sort that dogs do. Cats will live together socially but never hunt cooperatively, so they don't have the same sort of communicative behavior as dogs. Point at an object and a dog may look at it because it might understand that you have some common purpose you're trying to communicate. A cat just doesn't care what you want. On their own, cats will show some fairly impressive problem-solving behavior to achieve whatever individual goals they might have.

·
Registered
677 Posts
I love cats. They taste just like chicken.

I have owned many cats and while I agree that they do not think, the females somehow seem to know which kittens are healthy and which are somehow deformed. They will kill, and eat the ones that show any signs of not being healthy. The males will kill any kittens they find in order to make the female go into heat quicker. That's why you often see several females hiding and guarding the kittens in a farm setting where cats are kept to keep rodents under control in barns.

I once had a cat bring all her kittens and put them under the covers next to me in bed one cold winter's night and then went and begged my wife to let her outside for her nightly potty trip! Once she returned, she took her kittens back to her kitty bed and stayed with them all night.

They may not think, but they are pretty smart.

·
Registered
4,646 Posts
johnnie59 said:
one cold winter's night
you live in tampa! did it get under 65? :lol:

just messin. I know it gets cold enough to frost the citrus crop :(

·
Registered
7,284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
94Rodayo4x4 said:
johnnie59 said:
one cold winter's night

If it hits 60, you start seeing them in arctic parkas.

·
Registered
4,646 Posts
Selador said:
94Rodayo4x4 said:
johnnie59 said:
one cold winter's night

If it hits 60, you start seeing them in arctic parkas.
Until it hits 20 im in sweatshirt. then below 20 its my Carhartt. :lol:

·
Registered
7,284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
94Rodayo4x4 said:
Until it hits 20 im in sweatshirt. then below 20 its my Carhartt. :lol:
Agreed.

45 is tee shirt weather. Especially if I am working.

·
Registered
6,404 Posts
I hate cats. Although they can be interesting to observe from time to time, I think of them as basically self serving little parasites that attach themselves to humans for personal gain. They have no mentality for family or a pack like dogs do. I was aware of the kitten thing. They large ones do it in the wild sometimes. Don't know why the little ones would be any different. Cats are the only domesticated animals that still retain 100% of their natural instincts. If I were you, I would stop feeding them. Cats don't need our food to stay alive. They are perfectly capable of catching their own.

·
Registered
10,560 Posts
Worst part about cats is they usually come with women who like them!

·
Registered
4,001 Posts
I once had pet mice when I was a child. The mother gave birth to a litter of naked pink mice.
The next morning they were all gone. And there was blood in the little house where they lived. :(

·
Registered
677 Posts
We rarely have the kind of cold that most of youse get every year, but we have gotten into the 20's a few times. Plus once your body adjusts to the heat, any sudden drop makes you very cold. It can be 80 here one day in January, then we get rain and its 35 for the the next three days.

Heck we all got used to 115 degrees all the time in Nam, then came the monsoons and the temp fell to 80. We were all looking for long johns and heavy coats. :)

·
Registered
877 Posts
Apeiron said:
Cats will live together socially but never hunt cooperatively
I've seen lionesses hunt cooperatively on the animal planet. Like three or four of them took down a wildebeest.

·
Registered
3,926 Posts
ZuBrew said:
Apeiron said:
I've seen lionesses hunt cooperatively on the animal planet. Like three or four of them took down a wildebeest.
I believe lionesses always hunt together, but I'm no... felinologist?

·
Registered
546 Posts
Selador said:
But they do not reason in any way. They cannot grasp even the simplest associative concept, unless it is forced on them over and over and over and over and over and over and over again. Constantly. And absolutely consistantly. Let up for just one time, and they forget all about it, all over again.

Associative concept. A good example: Point at something.

What does a dog do ? They look at what you pointed at.

What does a cat do ? Looks at your finger.

Cats. Do. Not. Think.

And apparently... Kittens... They're what's for dinner.
I happen to appreciate cats and dogs a great deal, and for very different reasons, but your comment that they do not think or reason isn't entirely accurate. Yes, they do function mostly off of instinct more than a cognitive process, however, having had a few cats myself I can tell you that they can and do problem solve.

In all reality it all depends on the individual animal more than the species. I had a couple of dogs that WERE dumb as bricks. I had one cat that figured out how to open the damn fridge door to get what he wanted out of it.

Oh, and your example about pointing a finger isn't a very good one. A cat will look at your finger first because they don't see the world like dogs or humans do. Their vision is mostly based off of motion detection instead of detail (of which they see very very little), and when you swing your hand out to point at something, they will naturally follow the motion of your hand.

Not to mention, one of my favorite dogs would just walk up and lick my hand if I did that. He was a good dog, but he thought with his stomach.

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
ZuBrew said:
Apeiron said:
That's panthera leo, i'm only talking about felis catus (yes, that's really what they're called). ;)

·
Registered
484 Posts
A cat (singular) can be ok if you have a barn that is prone to have mice (plural). On the other hand, cats (plural) are evil (period).

On a (slightly) more serious note, I know that rabbits will often eat their young if the mother is lacking salt. Might be something related.

Nature: she can be one mean mutha.

·
Registered
8,073 Posts
Selador said:
I have to say, I really do like cats.

But.

I've known for years that cats do not think at all.

People THINK they think. They SEEM like they think, once in a great while. But they don't really think.

They have great reflexes, and great instincts. And that makes them SEEM smart to a lot of people.

Actually, I completely agree with you. I used to have a cat, not long ago. The only time it ever learned anything is when I scared it within a inch of it's life (or so it thought anyway). Then it learned it for good. But that only happened once or twice its entire life.

I told my friends at the time I believe cats operate almost entirely on instinct.

·
Registered
4,001 Posts
I had a cat that I got from a pet shop. Spent one night in my house, took a crap everywhere.
Next morning as soon as someone opened the front door, it jetted out. Havent seen it since.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts