Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently had a buddy come to me wanting a set of u-bolt eliminator plates for his Samurai. I created a few patterns in the computer & cut them out. Turned out great.
They are basically a 5x6" plate that welds to the top of the axle tube. The 2 plates bolt around the leaf spring pack, sandwiching it in against the axle bracket.
I'll get some pics when I go out to the shop after work today. I am ready to start cutting/welding/shipping these brackets. Curious to know if there is any interest out there.
They basically look like this

·
Registered
2,823 Posts
What exactly is the advantage over u-bolts?

·
Registered
7,076 Posts
Looks alright. But if that is the finished product I would put the bolts right against the leaf spring pack. It will put less bending load on the plates.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
betterthanyou said:
Looks alright. But if that is the finished product I would put the bolts right against the leaf spring pack. It will put less bending load on the plates.
I agree. I would also add another set of bolts to make a row of 3 on each side.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
oldestisuzuist said:
What exactly is the advantage over u-bolts?
If you have enough lift your pinon angle will be changed. My friend had probably 4" of angle blocks just to get his pinon angle close. After installing the brackets his vehicle drives much better.

·
Registered
2,823 Posts
The only way I see that these could correct a pinion angle is if the spring perches were welded to the axle tube at the corrective angle during install. You could get the same thing rotating the spring perch & keeping the u-bolts.
Again, what is the advantage? With the SOA pictured you would gain the diameter of the u-bolt in ground clearance where the u-bolt would be snugged against the bottom of the axle tube, but what else? Maybe the increased contact patch with the spring leaves reduces axle wrap a bit?

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
How does that set pinion angle any differently than a U bolt?

·
Registered
1,906 Posts
But you have to weld that new perch on correct?? Isn't it the same amount of work to just put new spring perches on at the new pinion angle and keep the U-bolts?

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
88bronzetrooper said:
But you have to weld that new perch on correct?? Isn't it the same amount of work to just put new spring perches on at the new pinion angle and keep the U-bolts?
Exactly. The pinion angle is controlled by the welding of the perch, not by the bolts or that plate.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
These plates are the spring perches. I don't understand why this is such a difficult concept to understand.
If you like u bolts... Then keep them.This mod is for the select few that have extensive modifications such as an aftermarket rock crawling axle. Nobody is saying that this system functions better than u bolts, it's simply a matter of personal preference.

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
I just don't understand the point. What's the advantage over a U bolt?

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
Right, just like with a U bolt. So what's the difference? Is this stronger or something?

·
Registered
1,906 Posts
I know its sounding like were being asses but were really not. You asked if there was any interest in this kit and we are just trying to get any idea of what it does different. And these wont be of much help in isuzus with them all being spring under axle from the factory. Really we are just trying to understand the benifit.

·
Registered
7,076 Posts
Like he said there is no benefit. Simply preference. One plus I can see is if you do hard off roading and damage the threads and need to remove the axle frequently then the bolts could be cut and easily replaced.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts