Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
questions about my 92 rodeo
i have been noticing a "whirring" sound when i'm driving. it's not as noticeable when i take my foot off the gas, but when i step on the gas a little or a lot (doesn't matter which) it gets pretty loud. then, just in the last few days, i've started hearing a racket from the middle to rear of the truck. it will clunk occasionally when i turn or hit bumps, almost like something was rolling around in the back (there's not anything back there though) and some metal to metal "clanking" also when turning or hitting bumps. i crawled under it and the only thing i saw that might be making some noise is the exhaust pipe towards the rear (almost no clearance between body and frame and i can easily make it bump both). then i checked my u joints for slop and they appear ok. i do get a lot of movement in the carrier bearing though. how much movement, if any, should the rear drive shaft have (up and down) where it goes into the carrier bearing? any idea what some of these noises could be? thanks in advance for any help.

·
Registered
165 Posts
your carrier bearing im sure has bad rubber bushings by now, mine moves all over the place, they really shouldnt move too much, but will as they get old and the bushing deteriorates.
if the rear is whining thats usually an indication of a bad pinion bearing or diff bearing inside,especially since you say on on acceleration only. or lack of maintenance and the ring and pinion are worn or burnt up from lack of oil. once they start to whine badly the gears are beyond savable, but some will whine faintly for years. check the oil in the rear diff and see what it looks like, if it has a ton of metal chips in it your gonna have an issue in there.
just the way you are describing it, im gonna say you let the rear run out of gear oil or there is a bearing coming apart in it.
Either way if thats the case your best off to replace it.
If its 4x4 check out the transfer case oil also.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts