Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1997 Acura SLX, 3.2 v6 4 speed automatic
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's a 3.2 v6, with 177k miles and a 4 speed auto, will be having some questions where i can post for help about the tapping under the passenger's valve cover and why the rear end has a slight clicking while turning in slow speeds..

thanks

·
Registered
778 Posts
Lifter ticks are very very common with the 3.2 SOHC motor that you probably have (really with all Isuzu V6 motors). Like I said in your other post, the clicking when turning is the limited slip differential needing more friction modifier additive.

Reactions: 97SLX

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Lifter ticks are very very common with the 3.2 SOHC motor that you probably have (really with all Isuzu V6 motors). Like I said in your other post, the clicking when turning is the limited slip differential needing more friction modifier additive.
yes i just read about that, it's caused by gumming and deposits, but i saw a video with one that had a loose rocker and the cam had to come out,

it taps so hard it sounds like a diesel engine.... thanks for you comments

and i semi guess it was a limited slip clutch pack, but the seller, thought it was u joints, i have yet to lay under the car an admire all it's 4x4 glory

i also have been reading it is a GM 12 bolt? it actually looks bigger than that....if that is the case do i have to drop the rear cover or is there drain and fill plugs?

thanks again

·
Registered
778 Posts
yes i just read about that, it's caused by gumming and deposits, but i saw a video with one that had a loose rocker and the cam had to come out,

it taps so hard it sounds like a diesel engine.... thanks for you comments

and i semi guess it was a limited slip clutch pack, but the seller, thought it was u joints, i have yet to lay under the car an admire all it's 4x4 glory

i also have been reading it is a GM 12 bolt? it actually looks bigger than that....if that is the case do i have to drop the rear cover or is there drain and fill plugs?

thanks again
Yikes, might wanna pull it apart and replace the lifters in that case.

U-joints shouldn't click when turning with a solid rear axle setup as the drive angles don't change, just the shaft speed. The diff fluid probably should be changed anyways, so do that first. You can easily check if a u-joint is bad by unbolting it from the rear end real quick and "feeling it out."

GM never made any axles for Troopers. 84-86 got Isuzu 10 bolt rears, 87-97 got Isuzu 12 bolt rears, 98-99 got Dana modified Isuzu 12 bolt rears (beefed up compared to older versions), and 00-02 went back to Isuzu 12 bolts but beefed up -- the Dana units had gear whine. Anyways, there are traditional drain and fill plugs. Make sure to replace the crush washers (21mm) and the heads are 24mm.

Isuzu front axles go like this: 84-86 Isuzu 8 bolt, 87-02 Isuzu 10 bolt. They have "hidden" drain plugs and traditional fill plugs.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i didn't look that close, to see if it's a straight axle, the rear end is huge, looked bigger than a chevy 12 bolt anyhow.

i didn't want to hear about the tapping needing lifters, if the cam comes out , it's a huge job , i don't really want to tackle, i guess i'll drive 'er till she blows, comes from a 1 owner family that changed the oil....i think i may run so oil flush to see it that loosens things up

·
Registered
778 Posts
Yup, all Troopers have a straight rear axle and independent front suspension with CV axles.

I'd pull the valve covers off and check the lash if it gets "that bad." Otherwise I'd just drive until another issue presents itself.

·
Registered
778 Posts
Yea everything bolted to the motor above the valve covers must be removed. So take off the intake and all its associated parts.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yea everything bolted to the motor above the valve covers must be removed. So take off the intake and all its associated parts.
[/QUOTE

it is now throwing a code, when i bought it i pulled in my reader and it would not connect, are these early OBDII all like that, then why is the port even there?

·
Registered
778 Posts
The OBDII on any Trooper made 96 or later has always worked flawlessly for me. Might need a different scan tool.

Reactions: 97SLX

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
used my first scanner 5 bucks, P0401 went away , cleaned the egr passage anyways, it was a short run, not cloggged

1 - 11 of 11 Posts