Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I go off roading a lot, and i had to replace my clutch, throw out bearing, and pressure plate. Now last year i replaced the tranny and replaced all that with an autozone kit. the throw out bearing would not work, so i swapped around some parts (pressure plate finger ring and used the old throw out bearing. after mudding, getting in different gears was real hard, then could not do it. replaced the cluch stuff and all better. the throw out bearing was seized. could that have caused the fingers to worp, or could it have been the water? and if it was the water, can i waterproof the bell housing?

·
Registered
11,467 Posts
At worst water will just cause the clutch to slip until it warms up/ dries out as far as the clutch its self goes. It can however cause the bearing to rust and seize up if it happens enough. And that could damage the pressure plate fingers. I dont know of anyone that has been concerened with sealing it up. Mine is far from water proof and been through LOTS of water (including sprayers in automatic car washes) and so far, no issues with clutch or bearings after 6 yrs / 40k miles.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Water wont do anything unless your throwout bearing was already on its way out. its mud thats the enemy!

·
Registered
7,076 Posts
Going through water and mud should not contaminate anything getting stuck and sitting in it for a while will present problems. You could easily seal it up yourself with silicone between all the mating parts but service would be a pain and I would worry that is a bit of water does get it it my have a much harder time getting out.

·
Registered
6,257 Posts
I was watching a video on how to replace a clutch a while ago and there was a lotof emphasison not getting the clutch or fly wheel comtaminated. Okay, so what is the point if it's not sealed to begin with and contaminants can get in?

·
Registered
11,467 Posts
Thats why I never really worried about it on clutches or brakes. How much oil and other crap gets in there just driving in rain? I just spray down the flywheel/rotors (depending on what I'm working on) with some brake cleaner and call it good.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts