Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
here we go again,i got the new head on put everything back together .found coolant in #4 .everything else is ok,could this be a bad block? or maybe a bad head gasket (pinched )not fitting right? standing by ........

thanks in advance for any help

shoe

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
well,we think its the gasket going to pull the head back of(hate doing that)but its going to be the only way we can figure it out.hope its just that 60 bucks for a gasket set is better than the other.will keep ya'll posted.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I have tried to do the head gasket by not disassembling the front of the engine. I have heard of people doing it by tying the timing belt to the cam pulley and popping the cam pulley off, theoretically, the head goes back on with the cam in the same position and the pulley slips right back on. But I couldn't get it to work and was afraid I'd just screw up the head gasket by jostling it trying to pull the timing belt tight enough for the pulley to get back on the camshaft. Not to mention damaging the belt itself which was new recently.

So I just do it the old fashioned way and take the radiator and front of the engine apart although it takes a while.

·
Registered
7,209 Posts
No, you just need to take the top timing cover off. Pull the rubber plug out. Loosen the 12mm nuts on the front, the one behind the rubber plug as well. Now use a long screwdriver or a prybar and pry the tensioner over and tighten the 12mm bolt behind the rubber plug. This will hold the tensioner in place.

Now just pull the timing belt forward off the cam gear and pop the head off.

When you install the new head gasket make sure you are installing it correctly. There is a front and back and a correct side as well. You will have a water passage partially blocked if you install incorrectly.

Just got through doing it this way. Wasn't that bad, just took a while to do.

Joe

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.