Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We recently bought a 1989 Trooper 2.8 V6/5 speed on our return trip from Moab (we were trailing our Trooper home after it broke in Moab) We bought this 89 in Craig, Co. I looked it over pretty throughly and didn't see any thing major like big oil leaks or broken parts (shop had put a used engine in and resealed it) in it. Wife drove it home and then I started noticing oil dripping on the floor and the whole underside covered in oil. Finally had some time to take a good look and found the front skid plate had worn a hole in the oil pan at the drain plug area. I brazed the area over and tweaked the skid plate with a hydraulic press. Just thought I would pass this along for any one with a V6 1st Gen. Trooper you might want to check for clearance between skid plate and oil pan. DAVE

·
Registered
2,969 Posts
I took mine off some time ago and failed to put it back on. I should do that now that the engine is done. Thanks for the reminder and suggestion!

·
Registered
4,350 Posts
hessmess said:
Thanks for the reminder and suggestion!
lol, same here on the 89 :lol: I took it off last summer and it is in the shed...

I have never heard of this and I have currently have three of the first gen troopers. That skid plate must have nailed something hard...
If you need an oil pan, I have one on my donor.

cheers
-Ian

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The skid plate did have a bend in it, nothing really noticeable but enough to cause clearance problems. I think between that and the motor mounts settling a little it was enough to touch. I don't think this Trooper was ever off the pavement there is no other marks underneath it or any indication that it was offroaded. Just like me age is making things sag. I brazed the area where it rub thru and it looks good now but thanks for the offer. I am happy that I caught it when I did, it wouldn't have been too much longer before the hole would have opened up and lost all of the oil. DAVE

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
same thing happened on my 89. In my case there was a rock between the skid and the oil pan. Same place though right next to the drain plug..

·
Registered
925 Posts
my 90 had tons of room...until i got high centered, and even then the pan had about an inch of clearance.

change the motor mounts, see if that helps.

·
Registered
3,196 Posts
hmm I should do an inspection to my 86

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I took a closer look at the skid plate today, it is bent upward more than it should be. I'll take it off again and straighten it out some more. Might be a fun project to reinforce it a little maybe some 1/2 or 5/8 round stock welded around the perimeter. DAVE

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.