Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1991 Isuzu Trooper that I have had for 12 years. Recently I was out of town and I think that the engine compartment got wet ( i live in the soggy NW ). I was having intermittent starting issues. I noticed this on really wet days. Now it will start, but after I the engine warms up when I try to restart it the engine will sputter and die. This happens until the engine has cooled then it starts up again fine, and seems to run fine. Also the all the sensor lights will stay on after the car has started at times and other times the heater fan wont work. This has been really frustrating to diagnose, any suggestions?

·
Registered
2,377 Posts
You got the 2.6L 4 cyl motor, or the powerful 2.8L V6?

And Welcome, New Guy!

·
Registered
2,969 Posts
I would look at the fuse box in the engine compartment, look for green corrosion or maybe for the NW, green moss. HA! Really I would be looking for some problem in the fuse box or even under the fuses. In front of the battery is some fuseable links, look there also. The hard starting after warm could be a coil going bad too. I have no idea how one would test a coil though. If it is a 2.8, inside the distributar there is an ignition module. It has a heat reducing paste to keep it from getting to hot, through the years that tends to go away and cause a warm engine miss and hard starting. On mine I had to buy the whole module as I could not find a source for the heat isolation paste. I don't know the proper name for the stuff but hopefully you get the idea. Just some other thoughts. The idiot lights staying on would be the ignition not returning to the right position after starting and on the 2.8 the heater fan will not work if the oil pressure sender is not securly plugged in to the sender. Don't know about this on the 2.6. Good luck and welcome to the Planet!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for all the responses folks, and apologies for my late reply. To answer a few of the responses. My trooper is a 4cyl. I did check out all the fuses and found that there is no corrosion. So I am still at square one. It seems electrical. I am stumped though. If any one else has any ideas it would be greatly appreciated! And thanks for the help!

·
Registered
423 Posts
I had a 1990 amigo with the 2.6 that had the same type of problem, would start fine when cold and sputter and die when I tried to restart it after it warmed up. It turned out to be a bad diode in the alternator. When it was cold the short would be closed and allow voltage out and when it warmed up the short would open and it would have restarting problems. On the 2.6 motors as you crank the motor over and the alternator is spinning it would send voltage to the fuel pump relay to start the fuel pump running. Run your truck for a few minutes to heat it up, try to restart it. When you get it to sputter and die, disconnect the alternator and start up the truck, if it starts and stays running everytime I would get the alternator checked out chances are you have a diode that went bad. Don't go cheap on a replacement alternator, it will die within 6 months. If you can get yours rebuilt do it, get a good one from a salvage yard, or pm Jerry Lemond on the forum he might have some.

Scott

Reactions: Tad

·
Registered
282 Posts
What he said, it's your alternator. Had a similar problem before.

Look at this post: viewtopic.php?t=13176

Bypass your fuel relay with a jumper wire. After that your fuel pump runs off the battery and not the alternator. Your trooper will start up every time now. Just need to get that alternator fixed.

Also, when your dash lights up like a christmas tree, it means your system isn't charging.

To give credit where credit is due, Selador taught me that trick.

·
Registered
2,969 Posts
I would not of thought of that due to the fact I have little experience with the 2.6! I have one now in the Pup so I learned something also.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts