Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 247 Posts

·
Registered
918 Posts
So in the spirit of ancient warrior themed DIY color changes, I present to you my current ongoing project. The wrapping of my Rodeo Sport. Samurai style. :mrgreen:

image.jpg

Attachments

·
Registered
6,404 Posts
I dont understand the "samurai" part. :scratch:

·
Registered
918 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
morganm said:
I'm in - thought about wrapping the Amigo in the matte black (which is probably overdone at this point...but I like that look!).
Yes, there is a lot of matte black out there. You could always go chrome. :D

·
Registered
918 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Cronk said:
How hard is that stuff to work with? I picture myself like a fly on a sticky trap.
It's easier to work with than I thought it would be. If you prep the surface and apply it in a warm temperature, it is actually not too sticky. Once you apply the heat (hair dryer), it gets some real grip, but you can still pull it off. The biggest thing is having an extra pair of hands (or two). That allows you to lay it down tight, making it go a lot faster.

This is my first time ever doing this. I watched a ton of YouTube videos to learn best practices and bought the vinyl and supplies off of eBay. So far so good.

·
Registered
918 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
bradzuzu said:
Dang that's cool !! So it was red to begin with ?? Can't wait to see a side view :)
Thanks. Yep, it was (still mostly is) red. Once I get a fender done I'll show some side pics.

·
Registered
13,615 Posts
Boy that just changes the whole look !! Amazing that it doesn't get any back color.. That'll be cool when it's all transformed :)

·
Registered
5,755 Posts
Wow, the projects people undertake here on the Planet never cease to amaze me! It looks like you're doing an amazing job so far, I can't wait to see the final results. May I ask how much the materials cost? I'm not sure if it would work well on my Trooper due to spots like the rain gutter, but I'm looking to do a color change at some point so exploring all of the different options.

Jonathan

·
Registered
918 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
shaggydoink said:
Wow, the projects people undertake here on the Planet never cease to amaze me! It looks like you're doing an amazing job so far, I can't wait to see the final results. May I ask how much the materials cost? I'm not sure if it would work well on my Trooper due to spots like the rain gutter, but I'm looking to do a color change at some point so exploring all of the different options.

Jonathan
The Planet is truly an inspiring place. I'm amazed at what gets done to these vehicles too.

As for material cost. I've got around $340 in vinyl and I think another $50 in supplies. You buy the vinyl by the foot, so I tried rounding up when I ordered. I got 40ft x 5ft. You might need a little more for a Trooper since you have more roof. The rain gutters would probably make things easier as you could tuck the vinyl in the gutter.

·
Registered
918 Posts
Well, I had hoped to get some more vinyl on, but we had a lot of wind blowing everything around today. Could not risk it. Will have to try again this weekend.

Here's a close up of part of the roof for those curious.

image.jpg

Attachments

·
Registered
918 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
bradzuzu said:
Do you get air bubbles at all ?? It looks just like paint...!!
They show up every now and then when you are laying it down. Just peel back the vinyl and they are gone. The vinyl actually has tiny air channels in it to help get the air out and prevent bubbles from forming.

It is crazy how much it looks like paint when you get it on. I even use Meguiar's Ultimate Quick Wax on it. Just like real paint.

·
Registered
13,615 Posts
So that's the same stuff that the one fella put on his vx right ?? I need to price my paint to compare the costs of both products, it would be nice to know... The other thing I'd have to think about is new paint and off roading, I'd almost need to put the clear bra stuff on mine which in turn would be twice as expensive...!! Where are you getting the vinyl covering ??

·
Registered
918 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
bradzuzu said:
So that's the same stuff that the one fella put on his vx right ?? I need to price my paint to compare the costs of both products, it would be nice to know... The other thing I'd have to think about is new paint and off roading, I'd almost need to put the clear bra stuff on mine which in turn would be twice as expensive...!! Where are you getting the vinyl covering ??
Yep. Same stuff. As much as I think your Zu would look awesome in VW Mars Red, you are right about new paint on the trail. Also, since you are constantly making changes to your rig, a wrap would allow you to make any new body mod a perfect match.

I got mine from AVS (Auto Vinyl Solutions) off of eBay. They are constantly putting the vinyl on sale for 10% off. So wait for the sale. Mine is the Avery vinyl. They also have 3M. Both brands are good, so just pick your color. I started out by getting a few samples to play with before committing to doing the whole thing.

1 - 20 of 247 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.