Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
ok scratch that idea, now after doing a little resarch a 4.3L V6 is kinda what I am thinking. How hard would this be?

·
Registered
13,615 Posts
No guts no glory !!! Probly fit nicely more tranny choices and t case. I think the t case found in most of those chev pickups have front out put on the left side though. But the 4.3 has the same bell housing pattern as the 350's so you have unlimited choices. Probly biggest issue would be the distributor if you get away from the electronic. I think pertronics makes one or go with a marine one.

·
Registered
7,076 Posts
Personally I am not a Ford fan but if I had to do it I would put a 5.0L in there. It has the shortest deck height of all the American V8's which makes it the shortest in height and width. It also has the distributor in the front which means you can mash it right against the firewall.

The other V8 I would consider would be the LS4 from a late model GM FWD car. It has no distributor to worry about and has the same bellhousing pattern as the 2.8L so when you figure out the clutch and pilot bearing it will bolt up.

·
Registered
13,615 Posts
That be cool to a little more money. He's asking about the chev 4.3 I think. But your absolutely right about dimensions and the bonness of the dist. Up front I'm not a ford fan either, my fords a diesle lol (tow rig)

·
Registered
7,076 Posts
If your thinking V6 then just get a 3.4L. It makes the same power but is lighter, cheaper and makes the same power with better mileage as the 4.3L. Plus any 2.8L Trooper is a dead simple transplant. A 4.3L swap is the same amount of work as a V8 but with less payoff.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Over on pirate 4x4 there was a thread where a guy did a sas and put a 4.3 in a trooper. I believe he had to move his radiator forward to make it all fit. While the 3.4 makes about the same horsepower as the 4.3, the 4.3 has more torque and low end power. Also the 4.3 is alot easier to find. I will be trying to fit a 350 in my 91 later this year but chances are I will have to cut the firewall and move it back a couple of inches.

·
Registered
3 Posts
betterthanyou said:
Personally I am not a Ford fan but if I had to do it I would put a 5.0L in there. It has the shortest deck height of all the American V8's which makes it the shortest in height and width. It also has the distributor in the front which means you can mash it right against the firewall.

The other V8 I would consider would be the LS4 from a late model GM FWD car. It has no distributor to worry about and has the same bellhousing pattern as the 2.8L so when you figure out the clutch and pilot bearing it will bolt up.
Hello, I have a 1993 Isuzu Trooper LS with a 3.2 DOHC and automatic transmission. I want to replace the engine with a more powerful one what would be an easy swap option that would provide me with at least an increase of 50 hp and torque? thanks for your help

·
Registered
7,076 Posts
Put in the 3.5L get the cams reground for more performance, get the compression higher and clean up the head and intake castings and you should see 50 horsepower over the 3.2L

·
Registered
4 Posts
there is always the rover aluminum block 4.2 liter v8's out of classic range rovers. very light can be punched out to 5.o liter, uses gm parts and mates up to gm trannys.

·
Registered
7,076 Posts
Agreed it is a neat concept but it is just a Buick small block a thus shares some of its problems like poor oiling and a lack of aftermarket parts. Buick small blocks were no where near as well supported as the big blocks and compared to the small Ford or Chevy the Buick big block was a poorly supported engine. If your plans are for a smart affordable swap my money is still on the short deck Ford Windsor and thats saying a lot for considering I am a Chevy guy.

·
Registered
13,615 Posts
Lol dont you hate saying that. If I was going to repower my amigo being a chevy man I would probly get a 4.3. Maybe do a trigger ignition and stay away from the dist. You can build them the same way as a normal small block. Finding parts (short water pump short pulley's) is not easy on the ford 5.0's. But also I think buik has that aluminum supercharged V6 probly what your talking about. Don't know life span. I think the 4.3's have roller valve train on some of the engines = better life span. A different tranny t case pushed back another 3-4"'s would way improve driveline angles.

·
Registered
7,076 Posts
Buick did have the all aluminum 215 V8 but that engine is very rare and again is just a Buick small block it was only used from 61 to 63. The tooling was sold to rover and they continued to produce the engine in aluminum. Buick later Produced the V8 in iron and then chopped off the two middle cylinders to make the V6. The Buick V6 was never made in aluminum not the heads or the block. It ended production as the series III 3800 V6.

I do like the 4.3L V6 but the only reason I am suggesting the Ford is because of its low deck height which means it will be skinny and easier to fit in the engine bay of a Small/Mid sized truck. Have you ever changed spark plugs on a S-10 with a 4.3L? Working through the fender well sucks!

·
Registered
13,615 Posts
Yes yes I have and they suck big time. I've seen a rock crawler site that they use an aluminum V6 that's super charged. I'm not sure what brand motor guessing Buick though. I know they talked about using headers from chevy but I haven't looked at the site for so long. Az rock crawlers. Cool stuff crazy climbing not sure I would ever want to do some of that stuff. If we where all rich we could meet everyone atleast once and wheel wouldn't that be fun tastic!!!

·
Registered
546 Posts
a 5.3 LSX from any number of chevy (and rebadged as isuzu chevy) would be a perfect choice as well. Not really much bigger than a 5.0L Ford, and the iron block versions are so abundant that they are easy to pick up CHEAP. Not to mention, since they are LSX engines there are all kinds of aftermarket goodies out there, including superchargers if you feel so brave lol. I am almost certain you could get one used for close to the same price or a little more than a used 4.3 V6.

·
Registered
7,076 Posts
bradzuzu said:
Yes yes I have and they suck big time. I've seen a rock crawler site that they use an aluminum V6 that's super charged. I'm not sure what brand motor guessing Buick though. I know they talked about using headers from chevy but I haven't looked at the site for so long. Az rock crawlers. Cool stuff crazy climbing not sure I would ever want to do some of that stuff. If we where all rich we could meet everyone atleast once and wheel wouldn't that be fun tastic!!!
Well GM does or did offer aluminum Bowtie 4.3L V6 blocks and companies like T/A performance does offer a Buick aluminum 3.8L block and heads. So it is possible you saw either of them. The dead giveaway would be distributor location. (Chevy rear, Buick Front) or if it was not using a distributor then the second giveaway would be the water pump. On the Buick it is integrated into the front cover. On the Chevy it is separate and spans over the front cover.

ImpulseRocket89 said:
a 5.3 LSX from any number of chevy (and rebadged as isuzu chevy) would be a perfect choice as well. Not really much bigger than a 5.0L Ford, and the iron block versions are so abundant that they are easy to pick up CHEAP. Not to mention, since they are LSX engines there are all kinds of aftermarket goodies out there, including superchargers if you feel so brave lol. I am almost certain you could get one used for close to the same price or a little more than a used 4.3 V6.
A Chevy LS engine is actually wider then a traditional small block. 9.025 deck versus 9.24. However the length is or can be a bit shorter due to the modern accessory drive system. And since it is easy to find and all aluminum LS engine your looking at and engine that is just over 400lbs ready to run.

·
Registered
13,615 Posts
Well for now I'm happy with the isuzu 3.2 besides the oil usage. Lucky for me I have bulk oil at work :).
Infanint supply lol. If I supercharged my motor I'd be in trouble with the law all over again.
I originally build my buggy motor smallblock 350 (450hp) for an s-10 pickup. That was my fulfillment of the need for speed ,150 plus mph. Being 37 I've got a few years of craziness under my belt.

·
Registered
546 Posts
betterthanyou said:
ImpulseRocket89 said:
A Chevy LS engine is actually wider then a traditional small block. 9.025 deck versus 9.24. However the length is or can be a bit shorter due to the modern accessory drive system. And since it is easy to find and all aluminum LS engine your looking at and engine that is just over 400lbs ready to run.
Yet, if a 6VD/E1 engine will fit in that engine bay, I can promise you that an LSX of any variety will. The LSX might be a tad longer, but they are a LOT narrower and shorter (top to bottom). I've had my time with both to know lol. a 6VE1 is a little over 27" across at the widest point of the cylinder heads, and about 31" tall. yet almost exactly the same length as any of the 4Z engines.

·
Registered
13,615 Posts
That sounds promising. To bad isuzu didn't make a V8 version of the 3.2's and or the 3.5. That would be sweet. Having that many options though I might do a late model somethin somethin !! To much power just breaks stuff though.
Where one of the motors mentioned a cadalac north star ???

1 - 20 of 39 Posts