Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im sure some people have seen or done this but.... I just got em installed and was very pleased. Gave me about 2.5 inches of lift and vastly improved the ride quality (at least compared to the factory springs with 250k on em!) Just figured I would post this so if any one is looking to lift there trooper around 2.5 inches this would deffinetly be very good and cheap way to do it!
Springs-
Front coils from 96 jeep grand cherokee w/ 5.2 v8.
100 bucks brand new from autozone.
To dark now but will post some before and after pics tomorrow.

·
Registered
634 Posts
Pathfinder guys use them too. The UpCountry springs give about 2" more lift. Aerostar springs can be made to fit as well, but they're fairly soft.

·
Registered
949 Posts
:shock: What year of trooper did they go on?

nevermind, I should have read your screen name... any modifications?

·
Registered
8,073 Posts
I am curious what the spring rate is on those springs, compared to the various OME coils.

·
Registered
928 Posts
That's awesome dude! That''s certainly cheaper than OME...
What brand did you buy? Moog? Rockwell? ACDelco?

I know I posted this somewhere else, but did you have to modify the springs at all to fit the Trooper?

I, too, would be interested to know how these hold up to things like heavy loads or towing

Edit to say that I'm going to assume that with 250k on the last springs, they were sagging. So for those of us with minimally or non-sagging stock springs, these will lift less that he got.

And I also carry a lot of crap, so these may only give me like 1.5" or so. Input?

Reactions: twilson

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
wow. just now read this post. very interesting.
so is the ride softer or firmer than the 'Zu springs were?
Have you loaded the rear down with a bunch of weight to see haw they handle a heavy load?
i am wanting ( accually, NEEDING ) some slightly stouter rear springs. When I load the Troop up with wood it bottoms out the suspension over every little 4" high bump. it hits HARD too! even going slow! guess i should have left my 2" spacers in. :roll:

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The Dude said:
:shock: What year of trooper did they go on?

nevermind, I should have read your screen name... any modifications?
did have to cut a little part of spring. check out pic below.
BigSwede said:
I am curious what the spring rate is on those springs, compared to the various OME coils.
Idk?
streetersam said:
That's awesome dude! That''s certainly cheaper than OME...
What brand did you buy? Moog? Rockwell? ACDelco?

I know I posted this somewhere else, but did you have to modify the springs at all to fit the Trooper?

I, too, would be interested to know how these hold up to things like heavy loads or towing

Edit to say that I'm going to assume that with 250k on the last springs, they were sagging. So for those of us with minimally or non-sagging stock springs, these will lift less that he got.

And I also carry a lot of crap, so these may only give me like 1.5" or so. Input?
There duralast brand coils from autozone
Did have to cut a little peice off jeep spring,very simple. I will post a picture of what I had to cut.
I would guess if ur stock springs are not that bad then you would get a little less lift?
COYOTE102076 said:
wow. just now read this post. very interesting.
so is the ride softer or firmer than the 'Zu springs were?
Have you loaded the rear down with a bunch of weight to see haw they handle a heavy load?
i am wanting ( accually, NEEDING ) some slightly stouter rear springs. When I load the Troop up with wood it bottoms out the suspension over every little 4" high bump. it hits HARD too! even going slow! guess i should have left my 2" spacers in. :roll:
Just got em in yesterday but havent put anything heavy in yet. Most I haul is my little boat. Seems stiffer but ride is way better than bagged out stock springs. Im 245lbs and I can jump up and down on the hitch and seems pretty good. There made to hold the front of a jeep plus a v8 so i am assuming they should hold weight descent?

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Heres some pics
Here is the part have to cut off. It just coils in more than ours you can see were the cut was made. Basically just make it look just like the other side.

Heres before as you can see the back end was lower than the front after i cranked up the front end.

Here is after with the jeep coils

And heres just a few pics of the truck all round. And this is with 285/75/16's

·
Registered
928 Posts
Dang that looks good! Looks really badass now, love the stance

I wish there was a way I could find out how much lift they're gonna give me though...I don't wanna max out my t-bars, I already have 2" of lift

Otherwise, sharp rig! Got any other plans for it?

·
Registered
13,615 Posts

I'm happy this is starting to catch on !!! The v8 coils are more than addaquit for extra weight...
I put a cut set into my buddy's rodeo, it was perfect... In my amigo I'm running 4 or 6 cylinder ones...
If you look close you can see I put the small end down and welded a nipple on top of the perch... Mine came with ome coils and I did drive it with them... They rode stiffer than the jeep coils and the overall length of them was about the same as stock coils...

·
Registered
305 Posts
what is part #? are these considered "progressive" springs like OME? Do you have 1" or 2" rubber pucks on there as well? Thanks

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
streetersam said:
Dang that looks good! Looks really badass now, love the stance

I wish there was a way I could find out how much lift they're gonna give me though...I don't wanna max out my t-bars, I already have 2" of lift

Otherwise, sharp rig! Got any other plans for it?
Well I lifted my front with the torsion bar crank method 2-2.5 inches and these springs leveled it out.
Want to find a lsd rear and one day if I could ever afford it a front locker. Would also like to get some nicer new tires but they are really pricey!

ducktrooper said:
what is part #? are these considered "progressive" springs like OME? Do you have 1" or 2" rubber pucks on there as well? Thanks
This is straight off the autozone web site. I have no pucks/spacers.
Part Number: FCS782V
Weight: 27.0 lbs
Warranty: 1 YR
Bar Size: 0.6
Bottom Coil Type: Pigtail
Performance Item: OEM Standard Part
Package Contents: 2 Springs
Package Quantity: 2
Spring Maximum Compressed Length (In): 15
Spring Rate: Variable Rate
Spring Uncompressed Diameter (In): 4
Spring Uncompressed Length (In): 18.4
Top Coil Type: Pigtail

This exactly what they look like

·
Registered
77 Posts
Nice work, red! I'm that much closer to affording a small lift now! Woohoo!

·
Registered
13,615 Posts
So how much where the coils ?? It's nice that there are tons of options available.... I'm running them front and back so it would be easy to lift my amigo even more if I wanted to... How much longer are the trooper coils than the other models ??? 2"s ..??

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
bradzuzu said:
So how much where the coils ?? It's nice that there are tons of options available.... I'm running them front and back so it would be easy to lift my amigo even more if I wanted to... How much longer are the trooper coils than the other models ??? 2"s ..??
100 bucks brand new. I have read about trooper springs lifting the smaller Isuzu so i would assume the jeep spring would lift them even more? I am not for sure?

·
Registered
13,615 Posts
I'm getting 4-5" s in the back with an uncut coil out of a regular Cherokee... I used them in my buggy build to.. $100 bucks is way cheaper than what less Schwab quoted me, I think it was $250...For lift coils...

·
Registered
77 Posts
If I use the jeep front coil springs for my '01 trooper, what front and rear shocks do you guys suggest i use?

·
Registered
8,073 Posts
You don't necessarily need new shocks, you aren't changing your overall range of suspension travel, you are just riding higher within that range.

Having said that, my favorte Trooper shocks are OME Nitrochargers. Very durable, they are designed a little longer than stock to go with a lift, and are great on and off road.

1 - 20 of 59 Posts