Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yup, it's true.... Three will be an Isuzu gathering in October this year. The weekend of October 11th. I will be posting more in this thread, but as you all know, a good time is had by all at an Isuzu gathering.

More to come,
Tad

·
Registered
763 Posts
A vehicross on the trail? I thought that they were street rods (ala PT Cruiser). I heard that line at a local run. BYW, I do know what VXs can do. I hope a few show up.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Tad, please provide some additional info (where to stay, meet etc.) if you can on the Oct. 11th gig. I've got some interest with the VX group and would like to get it on the calendar at the board.

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
5,577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ok guys, print this map and bring it with you: http://cnc.4x4.org/trails/uwharrie_map2.gif

General Info:
Date: April 26-28th 2002.

Directions
Coming from the North, take rt 95 to just south of Richmond. You will take 85 West from there.

From Durham and Greensboro-traveling from I-85S exit 122B onto Rte 220S follow to Asheboro and turn onto Rte 49S continue until you hit Rte 109S.

* On Rte 109S just past the small town of El Dorado you'll come across an Amoco gas station (Stop here for gas/supplies). Just past the gas station is the entrance to Badin Lake- Uwharrie National Forest. http://www.cs.unca.edu/nfsnc/recreation ... ie_map.jpg see map of park from link above.

We are staying at Arrowhead Campground. You can't miss us (the campground isn't that big). Follow the signs there and setup camp.

To the best of my knowledge there isn't an incoming phone at the campgrounds. There is a pay phone at the bathhouse, but you can call http://www.reserveamerica.com/ and reserve a site.

They don't allow alcohol in the campground, and they were faily strict about that last year. Remember: Alcohol is never allowed on the trail, and if you do choose to drink, do so responsibly.

Official story: Camping is $15/night with electricity, and I think $10/night without electricity.

Each campsite has a hook to hang food from (so the little critters don't get into it), a short driveway and a fireput. The firepits have grills that can be set over the fire.

There are semi-hot showers and bathrooms with sinks available for use.

There is also a $5/day trail use fee.

Trails tend to take about 3 hours. Usually people gather around 9am to head out and come back for lunch before going out again. It would be possible to do 3 trails in a day. I say trails, but "a trail" can sometimes be a combination of 2 or 3 smaller ones depending on what is open.

What to bring:
Tent, sleeping bag, water, clothes, a flashlight, some food, some water, and something to cook with (if you want to use the grill that is provided, that is fine, I personally use a small propany deal that I set on the firepit).

The trails run from 2wd/stocker friendly to what I would call 3+. Nothing that I would call extreme, and I ran what I was told was the hardest trail in October 2000 in my 88 Trooper (1.5" lift) and had zero problems. In July 2000 I ran most of the trails with no lift at all.

I have some pictures online from October at: http://tad.luddite.net/gallery/71

Feel free to e-mail me at [email protected] with any questions, and to let me know who you are, where you are from, when you are arriving and what you are driving. I'll keep updating this article the the list of attendees.

-Tad

If anyone has any hesitation, PLEASE send out an e-mail to the list, or post here. This event is a lot of fun, and there are trails for all levels of vehicle, including stock. I made it July 2000 in my stock 88 Trooper with sagging springs. If you don't want to drive yours on the trail, that is fine. There will be pleanty of passenger seats available, including 3 or 4 in my Trooper.

·
Registered
51 Posts
It is a GREAT time. Last year the IDS Crew (Isuzu Dark Side aka AIM Chat Group) had people making Deep-Fried Turkey, Duck Sausage, and I usually make a nice Italian Feast! (Italian Sausage, Red Clam Sauce, Marinara). The Uwharrie events are more than just a trail-ride, it's an Adventure!

Pics can be seen from numerous events at http://Isuzu-suvs.com/events

-mike

·
Premium Member
3,580 Posts
Well friends, you know I'm gonna be there!
--- Complete with the Uber Shelter and all. :wink:

AND GET THIS:
Daniel (Trooper4life) is planning to whip up a PIG ROAST!

Since he doesn't think that he'll have his new beast ready in time, he figures he'll try his hand at Iron Chef-dom.

--- And for those of you who believe that this might be too much of an undertaking, Daniel assures me that down in Carolina, they have some :?: super-secret ways :?: of cooking a pig that don't take an eternity. --- If the man says we're havin' a pig, and there's nothing difficult or truly time-intensive about it, who am I to doubt him? --- BRING IT ON!!!

The rest of the details for this meal are still being hammered-out, but we're working on it... All details will be announced as soon as they become available.

:!: :!: :!: :!: :!:

If anyone out there has any ideas or suggestions on how to make this event even better than ever before, LET'S HEAR`EM!
--- You can post them here, or if you prefer, please feel free to contact either Tad or me via personal e-mail.

In the words of the none-too-soon-forgotten 1980s pajama-wearing icon, MC Hammer:
"Let's Turn This Mutha OUT!" :mrgreen:

·
Premium Member
3,580 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,580 Posts
eeZooZooJaz said:
I thought MC Hammer was more early 90's...... :?
OK, I might just be busted there... I was taking my chances with the averages... I was a bartender in a college town from `87 to `91

In any case, I'm pretty sure that Hammer's 15-minutes occured somewhere within that timeframe... But hey, like I said, I was a bartender in a college town... I mean, it's not exactly like that was (Girls) the chief focus (Gone) of my attention (Wild!) at the time! ;) :lol: 8)

And now for the 64-cent question...

Are you planning on coming to Uwharrie :?:

(What? - You know I had to ask!)

·
Registered
130 Posts
Okay, big worries here. Is the event the weekend of the 11th as listed in the first post of this thread or the following weekend of the 18th? I listed this event one the VehiCROSS page as the 11th and need to change it otherwise as other VXers are planning on attending, plus I've got to juggle vacation days myself. Tad, if you're reading this thread please clear up the confusion. THANKS!

·
Registered
68 Posts
it's the weekend of the 11th.

·
Premium Member
3,580 Posts
rubo said:
it's the weekend of the 11th.
Well, it had better be the weekend of the 11th, because that's when I'm gonna be there.

I have a family wedding to attend on the weekend of the 18th, and have known about it for over a year now, so when Tad announced that the October gathering was going to take place on the 10th, 11th & 12th, I was quite relieved, to say the least. --- Now I can attend BOTH. --- I really would have hated for my last words on this earth to have been, "I'm sorry Honey, but I can't go to the wedding with you... That's the weekend for my Uwharrie trip."

I don't know if anyone else is planning on an early arrival, but I'm heading down on Thursday morning, so for me the dates are going to be the 9th, 10th, 11th, & 12th. --- If anyone wants to join me, I should get there sometime between noon and 2PM (assuming that nothing slows me down on this end).

·
Registered
130 Posts
Whew! I feel much better now! I suspect there was some confusion with the following weekends Suzuki event, called Zuwharrie. Sounds like a name we'd use, eh? In any case, I'll be driving up either Thursday evening or Friday depending how froggy I feel about a 10-11 hour drive. Hopefully there will be a few more VX's in tow from the Southeast VehiCROSS group!

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.