Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
5,980 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Leaving for Utah in the morning. Plane leaves at 9AM and should arrive in Salt Lake City at 1PM EST. I will be spending all this week in North Utah in the town of Logan. Next week I will head on down to Moab for the rest of the summer to work :D Never been this stoked before in my life :)

Figure this would be a good place to document the whole experience. Thought you guys would enjoy :D

Anyone live near Logan or Moab???

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
I grew up in Wellsville (small town 10 miles from Logan). Most of my family is still up in Cache Valley, so I still spend lots of time there. I know the area better then any, in fact I just paddled down a stretch of the Bear River last weekend. I can tell you pretty much anything you want to know about the Cache Valley/Logan area.

Been down to Moab several times as well.

You working with USU then?

·
Registered
5,980 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Very cool. From what I can tell it's a awesome little town. I'm looking forward to hiking the mountains in that area as much as I can. I heard there were some neat caves also.

·
Registered
586 Posts
Bring your hip boots - The water is getting high!
http://www.ksl.com/?nid=149&sid=15029433

Run-off this spring is expected to exceed historic high levels.
Some areas have over 300% snowpack still unmelted. :shock:

·
Registered
4,001 Posts
Are you shipping your Rodeo?

·
Registered
2,854 Posts
Have a safe trip John and try to stay out of trouble cause I won't bail you out.

Dallas said he would though. :lol:

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
BAMF said:
Very cool. From what I can tell it's a awesome little town. I'm looking forward to hiking the mountains in that area as much as I can. I heard there were some neat caves also.
Logan cave is the neatest, unfortunately it is closed to public access now, they actually put a giant grate over the opening. There are the Wind Caves up Logan canyon, which aren't really caves but more holes carved out of the a cliff face by wind, they're kinda fun. The nearest "real" cave is Minnetonka, which up St Charles canyon out of the Idaho side of the Bear Lake Valley, so it's about a 1.5 hr drive from Logan. But it's worth it to go to Bear Lake anyway (Bear Lake is only a 45min drive).

Logan Canyon is also one of the top rock climbing spots in the nation, if you're into climbing you can rent gear from USU outdoor rec and get some tips where to go.

Many, many fun hiking trails around Cache Valley, I've done most of them.

Also some good 4x4 trails, namely Providence and Millville Canyons, or Temple Fork to the LH Fork of Blacksmith Fork.

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
Donner said:
Bring your hip boots - The water is getting high!
http://www.ksl.com/?nid=149&sid=15029433

Run-off this spring is expected to exceed historic high levels.
Some areas have over 300% snowpack still unmelted. :shock:
Yea, a couple of trailer parks right on the Logan river (near the golf course) have been flooded out 2-3 times already this year.

I'm actually heading up to Logan tomorrow for a family Memorial Day BBQ.

·
Registered
4,646 Posts
black98Rodeo said:
Dallas said he would though. :lol:
I swear he is Dallas' long lost child

·
Registered
2,854 Posts

·
Registered
11,467 Posts
Willy Lin lives in SLC, you might contact him.

When you get to Moab there are several jeep rental places so you can still get some offroading in there. Some pretty cool wind/water carved caves on Dome Plateau about 30 miles up 128 from Moab.

·
Registered
2,672 Posts
Gizmo42 said:
When you get to Moab there are several jeep rental places so you can still get some offroading in there.
Wow, that opens up all kinds of vacation possibilities :D

·
Registered
2,150 Posts
Gizmo42 said:
Willy Lin lives in SLC, you might contact him.

When you get to Moab there are several jeep rental places so you can still get some offroading in there. Some pretty cool wind/water carved caves on Dome Plateau about 30 miles up 128 from Moab.
John in a jeep? HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA pictures will be required.

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
BAMF said:
This place is effing awesome and I have not even gone to moab yet.
I'm in Logan tonight, where are you staying? Maybe I'll drive by and yell at you.

Glad you like it here :D I could never live anywhere that's flat, I NEED mountains. My only complaint with the Wasatch front is it's to dang crowded. I wanna move back to Montana. :(

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
Hey! I'm a Utah State alum and this thread is making me shed a tear of nostalgia.

Do you have some extra time? Here's a couple of spots to crawl around at:

Skyview Hill

About 10 miles N. of Logan and a few miles East of the highway.

Lat: 41.821018°
Long: -111.798690°
(hopefully useful in looking up on Google Earth)

Little Mountain

A much higher hill with a nice, steep road to the top where there are broadcast towers. Lots of wheeling opportunitis in the area. I used to get rides from 4x4 buddies and fly my hang glider off the top.

Lat: 41.896893°
Long: -111.961283°

Have fun!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.