Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone tried these as a replacement when the engine dies? I did a search but did not find anything about them.

From what I can tell, they are imported with about 50k miles on them and have a warranty of sorts. They seem pretty competative (around $1,800 for a 3.2 DOHC).

I remember in the mid 70s some guys I hung out with got one for a Datsun 510. They were able to get a more powerful engine than what was available in the states.

If my engine dies, I would be just looking for the same 3.2 DOHC that I have.

So looking for any experience with these used JDM engines.

Cheers!!

·
Registered
2,672 Posts
I bought 5 engines from them over the years. One for a 84 honda civic, the motor pinged REAL bad under slight load or high load. After pulling the head I found about three cups full of carbon buildup on top of all the pistons and combustion chamber thats alot of carbon for a 1.5 litre engine. After scraping all of it out and installing a new headgasket it ran absolutely perfect for many many years after without issue.

The second engine was for a 1984 honda accord. no issues. a perfect engine for years
The third for a 1989 toyota camary. A perfect engine for many years and miles.
The fourth was for a 1983 honda accord. Perfect engine for many miles
The fifth was for a toyota corolla FX16 again a perfect running engine right from the start

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks...your experiences are what my buddies had back in the 70s. Their engine was tight and powerful.

Anyone try a Trooper engine?

·
Registered
1989 Trooper R/S
4,222 Posts
Just some input for what its worth. I've used 2 of the JDM engines over the years. First was a Datsun 2800cc that I put in a 240 in place of the 2400 engine. I replaced the single carb with the twin su's that were on the 2400 eng. and it ran very well and was still in service when I sold the car. The second was a 1.9 G200 Isuzu engine for my sons trooper back in the early 2000's. I got it sight unseen from a place in Houston. I wasn't available to do the installation, so he got a local shop to install it. BAD engine. After we were able to contact Houston, they made good on the engine and gave us another one. However they didn't cover the labor costs. So after all this rambling here's my 2 cents. MAKE sure your dealing with a reputable company that will be there if you get a bummer engine.

·
Registered
25 Posts
From my friends experiences with buying imported engines is find a reputable company that has good customer service reviews and offers some kind of warranty. I've had friends get great complete ready to drop in engines and I've had people get engines that needed all kinds of sensors, wiring harnesses, and other random stuff that adds up quick having to replace them all. Japan is very strict on something over there requiring their engines be rebuilt or replaced after so many miles to keep emissions in check or something. I used to know the details when I was more involved in the drifting scene.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the posts...I really am leaning that way if the engine goes. There is one place about 30 minutes South of me that I think does installation and one North also about 30 minutes. The one in the North does not do the installs. I like the idea that if it is a bummer engine that the extra labor is on the selling shop.

Now of course having poked around at this, the engine will be fine! The Trooper has almost 227k but I do not have history on it so I do not know if the engine and trans are original.

Cheers!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts