Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1989 Trooper R/S
4,194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've bought loads of cars and we (seller plus buyer) always arrive at either a sale or walkaway. Which is what, I would guess, most of us do. If I see an ad where the seller will put not flexible on asking price, chances are that is one sale I will not look into. Just wondering how our forum members feel about this?

·
Registered
9,778 Posts
Depends on price, and how bad I want the vehicle. If it is a good deal, I usually try to "read" the seller as far as making an offer goes, but often have no problem paying asking price (note that I am usually the first caller).
These days, it's a crazy market. I am currently looking for a 2009 - 2012 Subaru Forester for my daughter. A few years ago, we bought a 2010, one family owner for the other daughter (she bought). It was 6500.00 (their asking price - I was first caller) and just over 100K mileage with good documented maintenance. I bought our '02 with 189K miles - slightly ABOVE the original asking price, but it was ONE OWNER (accountant) with every receipt of repair work since new. Still have the car, now at 245K miles, and other that a cracked radiator, no repairs other than routine maintenance. This is the car I am currently working on replacing.
Because of used car demand, 09s are asking 7 grand and higher. These have 150 - 200 k miles. I won't even bother calling. The stealerships seem to have cheaper prices, but hit you with hidden fees (and hidden problems).
I basically pound craigslist, facebook marketplace, and offerup multiple times daily. Never be afraid to walk away from a deal. Dennis

·
Registered
95 Pickup, 98 Amigo
282 Posts
The way I do it is to hound all of the marketplaces, set up notifications if you can. Lots of patience on this part. Then when you see a car listed for an actual low price, call the seller ASAP and hound him for all the details you can. If everything checks out, tell him that you're very interested and arrange a meet up. A lot of sellers will show loyalty to the first person they speak to. Don't let them have a chance to notice their car is below market value, and don't be so late to the deal that someone else has already snatched it up.

Walking away is also a valid strategy when negotiating price. I checked out an RX7 with a buddy and they couldn't agree on a price, so we walked away and went to go get some lunch in the same parking lot we met the guy. 30 minutes later the guy calls back and says "Actually, I can do your price" and we met back up and finished the deal. For what it's worth that pizza was delicious and we make sure to stop by there any time we're in that area.

·
Registered
2,796 Posts
I can usually read an ad and tell if the red neck (it bleeps out *******....wtf?) is going to be a dick or not. Depending on what kind of unicorn he may have, I might put up with it enough to buy. Usually, if someone is absolutely firm or inflexible, they haven't done the first thing to get the vehicle ready to sell. Most of them are valuable cars and likely worth the asking price if they were complete, cleaned up and ready to sell. I'm not bringing a car trailer and two pick ups to bring a project back for reassembly for the same price as a running version. I went to look at a VW bus years ago and shortly after wading across the creek to see it sitting buried in silt up the sidewalls, I figured that this guy would haggle since it was going to need to be extracted and hauled out. He wouldn't budge and "would rather crush it with his tractor than to have someone jew him down." Someone did pay it as I saw in on the road later, but that was a solid No from me...

I am currently looking for a 2009 - 2012 Subaru Forester for my daughter. A few years ago, we bought a 2010, one family owner for the other daughter (she bought). It was 6500.00 (their asking price - I was first caller) and just over 100K mileage with good documented maintenance. I bought our '02 with 189K miles - slightly ABOVE the original asking price, but it was ONE OWNER (accountant) with every receipt of repair work since new. Still have the car, now at 245K miles, and other that a cracked radiator, no repairs other than routine maintenance. This is the car I am currently working on replacing.
Because of used car demand, 09s are asking 7 grand and higher. These have 150 - 200 k miles. I won't even bother calling. The stealerships seem to have cheaper prices, but hit you with hidden fees (and hidden problems).
I basically pound craigslist, facebook marketplace, and offerup multiple times daily. Never be afraid to walk away from a deal. Dennis
I have a buddy with a higher mileage 09 with a manual transmission that got a lower end knock. I've been toying with the idea of making him an offer if he doesn't want to swap the engine with a lower mileage used one. I've been torn because I think it'll be a sub-$1k buy plus a motor, but would it even be worth it on the back end? The manual transmission is the main intrigue for me. I'm trying to talk him into doing it himself.

·
Registered
593 Posts
I buy and sell about 20 cars a year so I know when some one will budge or not. If its a car I want I will simply pay the money. In the case of my Excalibur I just wrote a check without question and without even a test drive. If its a vehicle I don't have to have I throw out a number that I think its worth and will deviate a little form that. If not accepted I politely say if you cant sell it my offer still stands. more than 50% of the time i get a call back in a couple weeks.

·
Registered
9,778 Posts
Seen a few where they "wouldn't budge", then later seen them on the road to find out the seller practically "gave" it away.
On the Subie, down here, I occasionally see a "fixer" sell for between 1 to 1.5K (but really no time to take on a project right now). Current driver prices seem to be around 7K for anything under 150K miles. The manual tranny cars tend to go cheaper. This daughter flat out refused to even try to learn a stick. They all prefer automatics anyway. Time is on my side. I keep nursing the '02 along. I have a rebuilt rack and rack mounts sitting waiting for the good time to put them in. I figure when we DO find a new car for her, I'll drive to '02 for a while and strip my Baja and get it the new paint job it needs. Dennis

1 - 7 of 7 Posts