Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have an interesting question:

i am looking at both a new rodeo and a used rodeo. they are both '04's, and the used has 14K miles on it. and it's about 2K cheaper than the new one, which has some unreal deals on it. the cars are exactly the same, color and all.

maybe this is a dumb question, but i am wondering if buying a used one from a non-isuzu dealer vs. a new one from a dealer who is promising me after sale service such as loaner cars, etc. a better deal, considering that factor and 14K miles.

additionally, the carfax came back and said it was a fleet/possible rental vehicle. used car guy says that's a plus, my gut tells me that is otherwise.

thoughts? thanks!!!

·
Premium Member
5,577 Posts
tenmiler said:
i have an interesting question:

i am looking at both a new rodeo and a used rodeo. they are both '04's, and the used has 14K miles on it. and it's about 2K cheaper than the new one, which has some unreal deals on it. the cars are exactly the same, color and all.

maybe this is a dumb question, but i am wondering if buying a used one from a non-isuzu dealer vs. a new one from a dealer who is promising me after sale service such as loaner cars, etc. a better deal, considering that factor and 14K miles.

additionally, the carfax came back and said it was a fleet/possible rental vehicle. used car guy says that's a plus, my gut tells me that is otherwise.

thoughts? thanks!!!
It depends on the vehicle and the vibe that you get from it, but have you ever driven a rental? A co-worker or mine had one after an accident, and let me tell you, we were very aware of what the rev-limited in a Mazda sounds like. Reverse to drive while rolling down a hill, no problem. Keys can be used to pry anything open, and that little oil light is just a reminder for the next guy to check the oil.

I've also helped people buy vehicles that were previously rentals. It's like buying a car from anyone else, except that any little thing that's "wrong" makes me cross it off of the list.

For $2k, I'd buy new.

-Tad

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
didnt know about the warranty issue. great info to know. i think i'm going new.

and note to self: never rent a car to tad. :)

·
Registered
7,209 Posts
Or do what I did. Buy a one year old truck for about 8000 dollars off the sticker price. We bought a 98 Passport in 99 with only 9,000 miles on it. I'll never buy a new vehicle again.

In the first four years your typical vehicle looses 60% of it's value. There's nothing else that we buy that looses that kind of value in that time.

I like letting someone else take the beating on a new truck.

·
Registered
7,543 Posts
yup, correct, that new car rolling off the lot depreciates atleast 20%. I agree with TAD, possible rental???? effff.... NO WAY. Look at it this way, say the Rodeo new is 30k and the dealers, they now are 5k off (just round numbers), thats 25k for NEW, no one has farted in the seat or maybe had sex in the back cargo area ;) - Now if you got a used one with 14k on it for $23,000 and you know nothing of its history.......the 5k off sticker is the depreciation value +1000 (20% of 30k = $6000.00). I bought a 2003 Lancer OZ in Feb 2004. MSRP 17,900 + 500 delivery + tax title reg, drove it off the lot for 13,700 + tax title reg. 6 miles on it too, brand new. Car is worth 11k now, 5k miles on it, so figure if i paid 18.4k and 6 months later it lost 33% of its value, id owe more then its worth. Its something to think about. Personally, id go for NEW, but its your money and aggrivation if something on the used one goes wrong.
Ron

·
Registered
7,543 Posts
i got a horror story for you-
we rented a Uhaul van to drive 400 miles round trip to a junkyard in PA. We told them it was a one day rental and be local to help move someone. So we paid 19.95 for the day (we got it at 6am drove for 2 hours each way, plus little driving here and there). WEll with Chevy vans it has a digital ODO, so you cant just pull the speedo fuse, it will lock the shifter in "P". thats park for you manual trans guys ;). Well, they didnt figure on us when they built that lock out feature. So i figured, start the van, put it in neutral and then pull the fuse, then put it in Drive. Guess what, 400 miles later the van had 5 more then when we picked it up. We had to show something on it. Well, there was NO ABS, the speedo didnt work, but the tach did, so we figured out the rpms to mph in 4th gear for the highway and timed mile markers too. The trans would shift into each gear so hard the tires would chirp and van would shake. The van didnt know what to do when it came to down shifting. We could smell the trans fluid burning it was so bad. This van had 5000 miles on it too. So, you can only imaging what someone else may have done to that Rodeo.
ahhhhh, my youth man i miss it

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.