Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First up mods: I know there are multiple threads regarding similar issues but please do not merge or lock this thread as I feel my specific situation warrants an additional thread. Thank you.

Before I get into specifics a little back ground information is needed for complete understanding as the story develops.

I have a 14 year old some the has neurofibromatosis type one. This can cause a multitude of health issues including childhood scoilosis.

Series of events:

On Wednesday Nov 16th, 2011 my family and I loaded up our 1999 rodeo for a trip to cincinnati, from our home in Logan, Ohio which is about 250-300 miles away. Besides my wife and I we were taking all of our kids. Michael 19, Jakob 14 (patient), and Cari 10.

Between Wilmington and Lebonan, Ohio on interstate route 71 south we stopped at the road side rest so I could look a the front of the car because my wife said it was steering funny. After looking at it and not seeing any issues I told her I would drive for awhile. Approximately 15 miles later I passed a semi-trailer and came back over to the right lane. Once I did so the vehicle went into a slide, it felt like the rear end was drifting. Without any control the vehicle cslid off the road and into the wet grass along the shoulder. We narrowly missed hitting or being hit by several vehicles including the semi-trailer that I had just passed.

The Rodeo hit the gully at the bottom of the shoulder pretty hard bringing it to a sudden stop less than 5 feet from the right side of a good sized tree.

Thankfully no one was hurt severely or worse, my daughter did suffer some light tissue damage to her lower right leg. Basically its an internal bruise to the tissue between the tibia and fibia.

After contacting ins company, state patrol etc the state trooper took us 45 miles out of his way to enterprise car rental to get us a rental. We got there 5 minutes before they closed.

Jakobs surgery went well and I am staying at the hospital with him. Several years ago I was a fairly active member here and received a lot of help and advice from Joe and even bought some power door lock actuators from another member. I also had posted some pics of the custom mount I made for my Motorola Xoom tablet PC. Unfortunately I had forgotten all of my login information so I had to create a new I'd.

I came here looking to see if there was any information on this and that's when I found Stantony1's thread. At the hospital my time online is somewhat limited so I may not be able to get back here as often as I would like.

My family and I are very fortunate to have walked away from this accident that could have been so easily avoided. Please keep us in your prayers or if you are not into that send some well wishes our way.

Thank you for taking the time to read this.

Edited to remove personal contact information

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Wow, not even a word from anyone. I would have thought at least someone might have replied back with a "glad you and your family are OK" if nothing else. Especially with 55 views the last time I checked it.

I know everyone here loves their Isuzu and honestly so did I until it turned into a death trap for my family and I.

·
Registered
5,980 Posts
I don't mean to come off as a dick but if you truly loved your Isuzu you would of noticed the rust problems that were developing on the back of your truck and taken care of it before this accident happened. Isuzu has offered recalls for trucks with rust issues on the rear of the frame. I'm glad your family is okay though!

·
Registered
13,615 Posts
I'm glad your family is ok !! Just don't turn this around on everyone. What are you wanting to do about your rig ??? If it's truly toast/ rusted out you have choices to make. A new replacement frame or a whole new vehicle. I have three children of my own and I like to check my vehicles out more often because of that reason (safety)... Lesson learned and a very very fortunate one indeed.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I was looking for information on contacting Isuzu directly concerning this incident, which I have already done. I feel they need to do more to make owners aware of this issue. I will not be having the vehicle repaired, the body shop estimated that the cost to repair it properly by replacing the entire frame would exceed the value.

My entire family has stated that none of them would ever feel safe in the vehicle again.

I also wanted to street how important it is to get these vehicles looked at.

·
Registered
13,615 Posts
The conditions back east with the salted roads would destroy most anything. The rigs that I see at the coast are all rusted to some degree. Crazy I know !!! But you take a car and drive it in salt water, along with the electronics of the vehicle and I'm sure electrolysis takes place and that excelerates everything. It's just a no win situation. Hopefully the insurance company will treat you right and get you a vehicle that makes your family feel safe in.

·
Registered
2,897 Posts
I too am glad you are ok! Buddies Rodeo did the same thing and he too was fortunate not to get hurt. Personally I (and possibly others) didn't reply earlier as all the information on the recall has already been hashed out and can be found using the search function. Any post I could add would just be a repeat, aside from the obvious post that I'm glad no one was hurt.

·
Registered
4,646 Posts
jwood1016 said:
I don't mean to come off as a dick but if you truly loved your Isuzu you would of noticed the rust problems that were developing on the back of your truck and taken care of it before this accident happened. Isuzu has offered recalls for trucks with rust issues on the rear of the frame. I'm glad your family is okay though!
You don't have rust to worry about, you won't understand. Its a constant battle, and the manufacturer should have put stronger metal on the frames. Hell, these are what are supposed to hold the vehicle together. I know that the salt is brutal up north here, but still the frame should have lasted 15 years. Mitsubishi, Nissan and Mitsubishi corrected the problem after 1996-97 it seems. Isuzu IMO kept using ****ty metal, hence the stories, recalls and overall hurt feelings toward Isuzu. His 99 being only 12 yrs old, any 12 year old Montero Sport, 4 runner or even pathfinder will have a better looking frame. Isuzu just used crappy grade metal, typical of Japanese manufacturers in the late 80's early 90's, but most decided to use stronger grade in the late 90's. Obviously Isuzu did on the Troopers, but not Rodeo's/Amigo's.

The recall only corrects a small part of the issue. rear stabilizer bar mount. for most the whole frame is gone.

I am glad your family is ok, and I feel bad that you trusted a car manufacturer to build a strong vehicle and it failed.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
is it not common sense to give your vehicle a quick looking over before a trip like that? especially a 12 year old one? But i am still sorry about what happened, just saying it was easily preventable.

·
Registered
6,859 Posts
John, your comment is funny because I know you've driven your truck with bad wheel bearings and prototype tie rods. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Sorry to hear, this story is just plain scary!

I think we all take for granted that if we can start our vehicles up and drive, all is well. That is how so many Isuzu's run out of oil or antifreeze and get ruined. Frame rot is not something I'd think to check before packing up and heading out. Especially when the rest of the vehicle looks fine.

What ever happened to your Rodeo?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts