Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My '99 Rodeo has a very bothersome upper tailgate squeek on even mildly bumpy roads. Where is a good place to start applying grease or WD-40? It's REALLY annoying! :shock: Anyone else have this happen?

·
Registered
39 Posts
huh mine dose that 2 but i cant be bothered to fix it cause i just turn the radio up. :D

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If you had the squeak I have you would fix it. It's worse than a cat in a blender. Sure after a while it goes away but on my truck it will not!

·
Registered
24 Posts
This may not work for yours, but it did cure (at least for the time being) both a tailgate rattle and hatch squeak on my '02 LSE.

I found the rattle originated from the hatch struts. I tested this by jamming some soft foam / sponges around the well where the stusts lay when the hatch is closed. After driving a day or two, I noticed the rattle disappeared. Not wanting to drive with foam stuck in the hatch, I thought lubing up the struts might help. I lubed the connecting joints with WD-40 and that did it.

For the squeak, I dressed the glatch hatch weather strip with silicone. Next, I wiped the inside of the glass hatch with silicone as well. Note: just wipe the 'blackout' area of the glass, not the whole glass panel. This is the area of the glass that rests on the weather strip when closed. Me thinks the rubber weather strip on the glass blackout coating made the squeak. Something like tennis shoes on a varnished floor.

It worked for me, for 4 months now. We''ll see how long it lasts, but easy to repeat if needed.

Another rattle I cured was the headrest posts in the seats. Some soft foam in the holes cured that as well.

It may be a truck, but I too try to keep the rattles and squeaks minimal.

Good Luck!

·
Registered
26 Posts
I'm getting ready to buy a 96 Rodeo that has a squeak like yours. On another forum I was told that I might be able to get rid of it by adjusting the latch that holds down the window. I noticed that it is a little loose on the truck I'm getting.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
TampaMike was right with his solution and the noise is now gone. It will need a new application every once in a while but I used WD-40 and it took the noise away. The rear glass rubber seal is dry (cheap) I would guess, thanks!

·
Registered
7,209 Posts
I had a squeek on my 98 passport and fixed it by wrapping a few wraps of black electrical tape around the metal clip that goes into the latch.

If you look intot he latch it's made of plastic so it will wear and get loose. That tape has been there for about a year with no squeek returning. When it does, another wrap of tape will fix it again.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
¡Oracle!- LOL! Thanks for the reminder! :shock: I should have known that because I use it to remove stickers ect. At least I found the surface area to dress. Thanks again all.............

·
Registered
7,209 Posts
Try the electricla tape idea, cheap and quick. It worked like a charm for me.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I got rid of a lot of the squeak by fixing the back latch. It was missing a screw. Went around with a screwdriver and tightened a lot of loose screws. (I just bought this). I also adjusted the latch on the window to be a little tighter. It still squeaks if you hit a hard bump but doesn't do it just going down the road anymore. I'll try a quick wrap of tape to see if it makes a difference. I'll also have some graphite I can wipe on the rubber seal that may stop it also.

Jeff

·
Registered
7,209 Posts
I thought it was the window squeaking as well but I put the wrap of tape on mine and I haven't heard it since. I had also tried putting armor all on the rubber gasket thinking if it was squeaking because of the glass that would take care of it.

Mine was the latch. I also tried tightening all of the hardware and no dice.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.