Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello zoo'ers! Nice place you got here. And I didn't have to get the Trooper muddy to get here. :)

My wife and I realized after our first 3 hour trip on our Trooper S that we had paid a large price for a low payment. We were both in pain in our backs after the first 40 minutes or so. Also, we intend to use it as a family vehicle, which may have worked if my family did not have many years left to go in child seats. In any case, we built our bed, are lying in it with only minor private griping but would like to see what we can do aftermarket or at a salvage yard to improve our comfort.

I had an idea that the LS may have improved seats and I could get some from a wreck. I know the Limited's all come with leather and that would just be silly, having leather front seats and cloth rears. Does anyone know for sure if the seats are any different between trim levels? The lack of lumbar support in particular is the issue.

As far as young child friendliness goes, it's the placement of the child seat tethers in the rear floor that kills any happy amount of cargo space. Let alone the fact that Isuzu was one of the few manufacturers that I am aware of that did not include LATCH in their 2002's. I guess in a dying model...and with it not necessary by law until '03... :( And the inablility to lay the rear seats flat with the floor is a negative, too.

This is long enough, and I thank you for reading this far. We are "committed" to our Trooper thanks to a lease and the depreciation (but mostly the lease) and are just trying to make the best of a bad situation.

Thank you!

Ivan
Jacksonville, Florida.

·
Premium Member
5,577 Posts
I can't comment on the 2002s, but I know that earlier 2nd gen Troopers had different seats for different trim levels. From little things like arm rests, to the larger items such as the covering, lumbar support and seat heaters.

Just this past weekend I spent a few hours re-covering the seats in my 94 Trooper. I have the SE (limited) trim level, with leather seats. 184k miles has taken their toll on them, and the drivers seat had a rip in it. Isuzu wanted $400 for just that leather panel, so I bought a set of leather seat covers off of E-Bay for $100. I only replaced the front two covers, so the back ones don't match 100%. I think that it looks fine. Its kind of the same way that aftermarket floor mats don't quite match the carpet, but they still compliment the stock colors.

Anyway, the point of telling you that is because the aftermarket covers have a good bit more lumbar support than the factory covers. After contacting the seller this is because the S seats that these covers were made for have smaller lumbar pads.

You could go this route. I don't recommend it though. It was a lot of work, and the wounds on my hands haven't healed yet.

I would suggest the used seat route. I'd start with http://www.allhyundaiisuzuparts.com They have provided several PI members with good inexpensive parts, and they ship fast.

The biggest problem that you will likely have is that the LS/Limited seats are power seats, and you might not have the wiring harness for them in the S truck. You should check for that before you go any further.

You could also just check with an auto upholstery shop and see what they can do. I'm sure that they have other options for you to consider.

-Tad

·
Registered
192 Posts
flapadlr said:
I had an idea that the LS may have improved seats and I could get some from a wreck. I know the Limited's all come with leather and that would just be silly, having leather front seats and cloth rears. Does anyone know for sure if the seats are any different between trim levels? The lack of lumbar support in particular is the issue.

As far as young child friendliness goes, it's the placement of the child seat tethers in the rear floor that kills any happy amount of cargo space. Let alone the fact that Isuzu was one of the few manufacturers that I am aware of that did not include LATCH in their 2002's. I guess in a dying model...and with it not necessary by law until '03... :( And the inablility to lay the rear seats flat with the floor is a negative, too.
Well, that's the first I've hear from any trim level than the trooper seats are hard. I have an 02 LS and no one complains about the seats(even on a 12hour ride). The seats between the s and ls are not too different(I think just arm rest depending on the year and slightly different cloth materials).

As for LATCH. I too would love it but it went into effect for any vehicle "BUILT" after Sept 02 I think. I'm pretty sure all the ones imported for 02 were built way before that date. So tech. it was for all 03 models and on. I'm trying to see if I can get a retro fit for my 02 Chevy Crew Cab.

Good Luck with your new ride!

Cheers,
Con

P.S. Another Jaguar Guy! I use to live in Jax(well Orange Park that is).

·
Registered
6 Posts
I lived in Jax for a while. 1 year, 2 months at NAS Jax, but unfortunately on that Navy pay I had to live off Timuquana. Couldn't afford Orange Park :) But I'm out now, and back home in Tulsa.
Brandon

·
Registered
2 Posts
I drove from Alaska to Florida in my Trooper. The wife and I had no complaints.

Are you obese? I am asking because once I submitted my Trooper to the stress of a 300 + lb human elephant and it complained about back pains.

I have a limited with power seats btw.

·
Registered
2000 Isuzu Trooper S, ARB bull bar, Warn winch, custom forged 17" Centerline wheels, BFGs, RS9000s.
11 Posts
As you know, seat comfort is a matter of personal taste, but due to back surgery, I probably have to deal with more discomfort than the typical driver. When I bought my 2000 Trooper S, I found that the seat cushion front was too low (or the rear was too high). Consequently, I always felt like I was about to slide forward out of the seat. This also seemed to put quite a strain on my lower back no matter where the seat back was adjusted.

My first thought, like yours, was to find some aftermarket seats, or junkyard seats or something. While there are some interesting alternatives out there, you still wouldn't know if they would solve the problem until you had (spent a ton of $$$) and had them installed. I opted for another solution.

I bought the Isuzu parts manual from an eBay source and discovered that the main seat frames are the same for the S, the LS and the Limited. The real only difference is that the LS had a manually adjustable fore and aft tilt mechanism and the Lmtd had an electrically operated fore and aft tilt. But the really interesting point was that any "S" seat could be converted to the manually operated fore and aft adjustment very easily, although it requires the replacement of a bolt-in seat frame with an adjustable seat frame. Actually, you could convert to the electrically adjustable syste, but the cost would be exhorbitant.

The standard frame is roughly just a square tubing square frame. The frame can be replaced with another part bolt for bolt that includes a worm screw adjustment for raising and lowering the front of the seat and another for raising and lowering the rear of the seat. Voila! Once installed, the seat can be adjusted to suit most anyone's preference and a bonus is that the entire seat can be raised or lowered for folks with long legs or long torsos.

To make this work, you also have to purchase the external adjustment knobs and retention clips. The best part is that, if you'll check, your hard plastic side covers already have the knockouts (must be removed with a shap knife or similar) for the adjustment shafts to stick out from the side of the seat. The knobs then fit perfectly in place and are color matched - the perfect solution!

The installation takes about 1 1/2 hours start to finish, and has made my ride very enjoyable. This summer, we drove our Trooper 4000 miles (I did most of the driving) and I was comfortable all the time (excepting the normal arthritic stiffening from driving several hours at a time).

If you're interested, I will post the Isuzu part numbers. One word of caution, however: these ar new Isuzu parts and the retail is close to $360 as I recall, so you may want to get in touch with someone like St. Charles Isuzu who discounts Isuzu parts. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I have a 2000 Trooper S and to say that the seats were uncomfortable (to us, at least) is an understatement. I bought a pair of cloth power seats from All Hyundai & Isuzu Auto Recycling for $900 (including shipment to AZ). These were plug-and-play. I lucked out and got a pair from a 2000 LS with same interior color. There's a slight difference in the cloth pattern, but you'd be hard pressed to notice.

·
Registered
54 Posts
The seats in my 2000 S are pretty lame as well. I'd love to have LS seats, but I can't imagine paying $900 for them :) . I'll probably just put some covers on them.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.