Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There’s a lot of post asking how much modification is required, or how difficult it would be to put some other engine in their Isuzu. For my 1990 Trooper I took the easy way out and just put a 3.4l in. But I wanted to express that with the right know-how, anything is possible, and share my ultimate swap ….. I put a LS3 V8 in a Cessna airplane.

the swap required a lot of re-engineering of not just the airframe, but the engine and it’s components. Not to bore with details, I had to design a redundant EFI system with a custom ECM software calibration, new electrical system to meet aircraft redundancy requirements, redesign parts to make them lighter weight, use materials that met aero requirements, build a prop, ect… I even used a couple of components off my Trooper! The thing flies great, and cost about 1/3 to fly compared to original aircraft engine, so it was well worth it, and a real engineering challenge that I mostly enjoyed (there was many incidences of doubt, frustration and wondering what the hell I was thinking….same as any other new engine swap). You can see the thing fly at www.corsairV8.com and I posted a few YouTube’s.

my point is…. There are few new engine swaps that go as planned. Even my 3.4L trooper had significant issues, and that swap was the most common and well documented. If the engine will fit, it can be done with some trial and error, and likely lots of thinking…. and many timeouts to clear your head. There’s members here who have done amazing mods and made something super cool and unique, and all had same issues. Keep the mods coming and share!
Vehicle Tire Wheel Aircraft Motor vehicle

·
Registered
9,765 Posts
How'd you register it? Exhibition? I don't think the Cessna part allows it to go experimental. Been piddling around on the homebuilt aircraft forum lately and this is a frequently asked question. Dennis
BTW - seen the awesome Isuzu V-6 A/C conversions? Dennis

·
Registered
1989 Trooper R/S
4,190 Posts
Interesting, for sure. Guessing the engine is installed backwards, that is the normal front is towards the rear (cockpit). How is the engine cooled? Didn't notice any radiator, and curious how a redundant ignition system is accomplished? Would also think the weight of an LS3 would be somewhat more than an O-320 Lycoming and that would change the CG when compared to the center of lift and that wouldn't be something to ignore.

·
Registered
9,765 Posts
I believe the LS engines are aluminum block. Note that the propeller is pitched "backwards". Dennis

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Cooled by 2 radiators mounted at angles each side of engine. The EFI system uses 2 ECMs with custom calibration (come blank from Delphi and we developed calibration files) and critical sensors and battery. The prop does rotate opposite of stock engine. Prop is custom. It’s registered experimental multi purpose.

Dennis…. i have not seen any Isuzu aircraft conversion, please send info. Thanks

·
Registered
9,765 Posts
I saw where you are over on the homebuilt aircraft forum too. Saw your Cessna conversion there and that answered most of my questions. Nice job! Dennis

·
Registered
9,765 Posts
3.5 was Trooper, maybe Rodeo (I think) after 2001. Like to see one in a scaled P-40. Dennis

1 - 8 of 8 Posts