Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
5,831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
okay, so i experienced my first snow storm in my new two wheel drive VW Golf. GARBAGE! all i wished for was a magical little button called 4WD where i could push and therefore drive normally. this two wheel bulls**t is going to drive me nuts all winter.
i need to swap back with the wife. I can't be one of those guys in the clean lane - I NEED MY RODEO BACK!!!
(and i am not above begging)

·
Registered
29 Posts
will do better than my car in the snow. I already took the whole rear off my truck to repair, and learn what it all does, but I wish it was registered, and I could drive it soon, incase it snows in the next month. I doubt it would be ready though, has a power steering leak thats really bad, and idles at around 2000 with a sticking throttle.

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
Might seem silly, but what did you expect? awd for traction in the snow, (I have an Audi A4 quattro! great in the snow!), rwd for FUN in the snow! The Quattro is 'good' in the snow. Gets me where I want to go, with minimal sliding, but the amigo in 2wd mode was so much fun last night. Sliding around corners fully sideways! It was great fun! :D

·
Registered
808 Posts
Sliding around corners fully sideways! It was great fun! Very Happy
Please tell me your not doing this on public highways with other cars around :shock:

BOT, yeah 2wd(fwd) sucks in the snow, 4wd is good stuff, shift it into 4hi and your good to go.

·
Registered
808 Posts
Oh in that case, More power to ya :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: getting a little ralley practice in eh?

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
Well the road is ok for sliding the audi, but the audi is so easy to control, (which is a good thing, I suppose), but it's the forst rwd I've had to play with in the snow over here, and it was a hoot! Nice fresh dropped snow, and lots of opposite lock makes for a happy Andy! Was great in 4WD on the last incline up to the house though!

·
Registered
82 Posts
Never understood the gripe on 2wd in the snow. Its mostly the driver, not the car I feel. Sure I loved the Troop in the snow, but my satty and FRONT wd not AWD Subaru are relatively flawless in 4" to 7" of snow. Just need to know when to blip the throttle, judge turns, and start/stop distances. Good tires (2 Nokians on the front), good brakes, and good concentration are all most people should need for snow. Set a little extra time aside and go to it.

However 4wd is awesome on snow covered trails. Spices up my favorite summer-time trails. :D

·
Registered
5,831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
i dunno man

up here you often have to make your own parking spots by ramming your car into a snowbank, and then the plow comes along and you have a foot and a half bank to get through. try that in a civic. next thinkgg you know you are out shoveling and cursing with the rest of ther world. the rodeo just drives through like its july!

true that driving style has a lot to do with it, and when i drive my VW golf (daily) i have to adjust my driving accordingly. BUT. when it is a blizzard or a big dump and i have to get to work, i take the truck. no ifs ands or buts about it. 4 wheel drive is superior in bad weather, and 2wd while possible, is slow and a bit of a crap shoot.

but when i need to be somewhere FAST on the highway - there is no doubting the TDI. it kicks ***...

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
RodeoRed said:
i dunno man

up here you often have to make your own parking spots by ramming your car into a snowbank, and then the plow comes along and you have a foot and a half bank to get through. try that in a civic. next thinkgg you know you are out shoveling and cursing with the rest of ther world. the rodeo just drives through like its july!

true that driving style has a lot to do with it, and when i drive my VW golf (daily) i have to adjust my driving accordingly. BUT. when it is a blizzard or a big dump and i have to get to work, i take the truck. no ifs ands or buts about it. 4 wheel drive is superior in bad weather, and 2wd while possible, is slow and a bit of a crap shoot.

but when i need to be somewhere FAST on the highway - there is no doubting the TDI. it kicks ***...
Thats exactly the reason I went and got the wee amigo. We have had a good few feet on more than one occasion, and this is a mild winter, so I did not want to rip the frony bumper off my Audi. I think I like driving the amigo more though! Might just sell it!

·
Registered
5,831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
trust me - i think i am the only guy who would buy a brand new car, drive it home, park it, get in his old truck and go out.

i think its an isuzu thing! you just caught the bug!

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
I catch the bug with every car I've owned. Had a race prepped Mk1 astra, an MR2 Turbo (a friggin quick beast that was. 300 bhp!!), A4, A3, and now I have a wee jeepy thing as well!

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
:D You know what I mean! I take it that is some sort of blasphmeous swear word, and all used shall be stoned at sunset type stuff??? I live a dangerous life! :D

·
Registered
82 Posts
RodeoRed said:
i dunno man

I know what you mean. I'm originally from a few New England states. Granted you are a good deal further north than that. But the same time I owned my Troop I also owned a K-car wagon. No real trouble in the blizzards of the 90s with either rig. I saw more idiots who thought they were king of the road in their new SUV stuck as I cruised by in my Aries. There I was 18-19 driving better than folks twice my age yet paying more on insurance cause I was a "teen driver". If the forcast called for snow I'd hit the road to the office at 5 am instead of 6. If it was a bad call on the storm yeah I woke up early for no reason. Better to be safe than sorry. Never need to be anywhere fast if you plan ahead. If its an emergency call the experts. Obviously if you are an expert ie EMT, road crew, cop, Dr., or nurse then I truly understand the need to rush. Within reason.

Be safe out there this winter

Craig

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
Hey Rodeored. You up in Cananananda? We are getting all your bloody cold air and getting reams, upon reams of lake effect snow off Lake Ontaria. Any chance you could come down with a few mates and take it away??

·
Registered
117 Posts

What is SNOW????? :wink:

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.