Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
6,859 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As many of you know, the nature of my job has required me to live away from home for long periods of time. Not sure if you've noticed by my location says my home town by way of whichever city I'm working in. I have been doing this 14.5 years now. The past 5.5 years with a great company which I'm with now. My last job was 9 years with a company that did work predominantly in the midwest. When i came to this company I traveled further for longer. These past 5.5 years I have worked in Little Rock Arkansa, Omaha Nebraska, Roebling New Jersey, Long Beach California, Lompoc California, Eureka California and just recently 2.5 year in Valdosta Georgia. My longest stay ever! I'm currently home awaiting my next assignment. Looks like I'll float on a few projects before the one I'm assigned to starts in the spring! It feels good to be home but the feeling is bitter sweet...... I spent enough time in Valdosta that I actually started to fit in. people knew me when I went places and I even had a place at the bar on Wednesday nights. It felt pretty good! They even threw me a going away party...... :D One so good that it delayed my departure by half a day..... :oops: If you want to stay sober, don't give the table and chairs you can't fit in your u-haul to your bartender.......It was fun to say the least!

Through all of my travels though, there is one place I've come to rely on daily. A place I know i can visit and be welcome. Somewhere I can laugh out loud and nobody understands why but me....... Without it, I don't think I could have kept doing what I've been doing for so long. It's basically become an outlet for me when I'm sad, lonely or just plain bored. Plus an added benefit, I have met and hung out with many great like minded Isuzu enthusiasts along the way. Close to 50 now, best i recollect.

I've had some family maters occur over the past year or so that really made me stop and think. I've seen and done a lot but I've also missed out on a lot! These events made me realize that I need to stop my current lifestyle and start the next chapter of my life. So, as of lately, I've applied to some new jobs with hopes of staying in one place. Mostly local with one being a long shot which would be a major step up for me in my career! It's a long shot but I am qualified for it. I'll be happy even if I get an interview.
Realistically though, I'm looking at three options. Stay here (southern Indiana), move back North close to where my wife and I grew up, or stay with the company I'm at and head West to their Colorado office. It really boils down to my wife's direction which hinges on her finding a PHD program. She likes two prospects, possibly a third. Basically in the areas I mentioned. Any of which will start next year if she gets her application in and gets accepted. My time these next few months will be spent fixing up our house so we can sell it, if we do need to sell and move. Hopefully we get back what we've put into this place. At that point we'll have to hunker down and live like newlyweds again which will be hard on both of us. In the end though, we'll be closer to the life goals we've set for ourselves and that's what it's all about isn't it? Finding a way to make things happen together.

I don't really know why I'm compelled to put this out here other than to say thanks Planetisuzuoo and wish me luck!

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
Hey Cronk,

Best of luck to you man. It's going to be hard leaving a company you like, even harder finding another. But it sounds like you've got your priorities in order. I've never met you but I do feel like I know you from the Planet. :p I would just maybe say to not put too much into the house. Most people who buy end up having their own plans and more often than not, they don't include what you've done meaning your money went down the drain. You might do well to ask an agent for their advice.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Wow Cronk, "Life is what happens when we're busy making other plans". Sounds like you've had some great experiences and made some great friends. I'm impressed with your committment to your family, and that you have goals and desires for your life!! Not a lot of people do that. I have also traveled some, all over the US and over seas in my employment, and the lure of good money is hard to push aside, even for family matters. Good luck on your future. Not a thing wrong with sharing your feelings and concerns here, either, as way amigo stated-you're among friends. :)

·
Registered
6,859 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys!

Yeah, nothing major with the house, just drywall and flooring. Had water coming in when it rained heavy pretty much since we moved in. Pulled the carpet some time ago (previous owner's dogs had used it as a bathroom, once the deodorizer wore off, p.....u...... ). Last year we found termite damage while checking to be sure we didn't have mold......(Too much Holmes on Homes) Pulled half the drywall down in the basement repairing it. Found the water leak in the process though. No more leakage! All the mastic for the gas line water line and sewer line had given out, water was pouring in around each penetration. Just have to put it all back together now...... Trust me, given the chance, I would have built a free standing garage with mother N law suite in our side yard. She keeps me grounded which is good. When we get the basement done we plan to get the place reappraised. We bought it under market value so with the sweat equity we've put into it and the drop in home prices, it should be worth about what we paid, maybe a bit more if it would sell. Problem with this place is stairs. Front steps to get to the front porch. Steps to get in the door, steps to laundry room. A young family would need to buy it but we are in a retirement neighborhood......

·
Registered
11,467 Posts
You just need to settle on Colorado. Lots of off roading possibilities. And Denver is only about 6 hrs from Moab. Still plenty of foreclosed houses going for decent prices here, though we've been below national average for them through the whole thing.

·
Registered
6,859 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Gizmo42 said:
You just need to settle on Colorado. Lots of off roading possibilities. And Denver is only about 6 hrs from Moab. Still plenty of foreclosed houses going for decent prices here, though we've been below national average for them through the whole thing.
We are talking about vacationing in Denver so she can see what the area is like, visit the University and see if she clicks with the people at the university. Not sure I should introduce to you guys if we are out there or not. :D Might scare her off....... :lol:

·
Registered
4,646 Posts
Sounds like we need to have a meet up before you vacate the region! :shock: :lol:

Best of Luck to you and your wife Joe. :D

·
Registered
10,560 Posts
Damn the torpedos onward through the fog! :salute:

·
Premium Member
4,350 Posts
Hey Cronk, stay close man... :D Thats my vote!!!!!

Whatever you do Joe, you will do great, cause that is what you do man. Just know that you have my support.
Now lets get a drink soon!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

cheers
-Ian :blackeye:

·
Registered
2,377 Posts
They got interweb access out there in Denver?

·
Registered
3,998 Posts
Good luck man!

I'm at a fork in the road with my Job as well after a little more than 2 years. I'm about to take the Path Less traveled to make more of a difference. Either way, I will be traveling 100% for the next 6-12 months.

·
Registered
3,587 Posts
Ruination said:
Good luck man!

I'm at a fork in the road with my Job as well after a little more than 2 years. I'm about to take the Path Less traveled to make more of a difference. Either way, I will be traveling 100% for the next 6-12 months.
Now that we are headed back to Greenville you are leaving eh? Well you better make the Zoowharrie trip in April!

·
Registered
3,998 Posts
dman4486 said:
Ruination said:
Good luck man!

Now that we are headed back to Greenville you are leaving eh? Well you better make the Zoowharrie trip in April!
Not leaving, just going away for a little while. :) I might not make it for the Spring trip. It'll be a last minute thing.

·
Registered
2,785 Posts
naaaa i think CO got DSL 6 months ago.
J\K

but i would think theres some areas that are still 56K being to far out in the wild wild west......

·
Registered
11,467 Posts
MarkB.NV said:
They got interweb access out there in Denver?
We have to send a letter through pony express who take it to a telegraph office who then sends it to one of them big cities to put on the web.

Still a lot of places here out in farm country and the mountains are stuck with dial up or satellite. Dont have to get that far outside of town for that to be an issue in some places even.

·
Registered
3,196 Posts
good luck on your new trip cronk if you decided to sop by California again ill be glad to actually hang out

·
Registered
6,859 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I appreciate it everyone!

Taylor, I'll just pick you up on my way to URE next spring. That is, if you'll fit in my truck.......

Ian, lets set a date and time! Your turn this time.

Sal, I do plan to return to the area one of these days. It will probably for vacation. I'll be sure to let you know if I do.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts