Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
706 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What do I need guys?
I'm going to be renting a 10x10 to do my engine build so I will have a completely blank room.
No lights, no outlets, no nothin. One big roll up door and that is it.
So I need to know what I'm going to need. I know I"ll need to throw together a shop-bench. Rent or buy an engine hoist and engine stand.
I also need recommendations on shop lights and if I will be able to do this with my hand tools or if I should look into an electric torque wrench?

I'll be recording and documenting this whole ordeal and I'll probably throw up the links to youtube, where I'll be uploading it to.

Thanks in advance guys,
Travis

·
Registered
751 Posts
The first question, is there a power source you can tap into, or are you needing to run a generator?

Second, a pair of flourescent fixtures will light that small room up like absolute mad. I would however include a couple extra fixtures, single tube units, to light up the bench(es) you are doing small work on, so that you have additional lighting and are not casting shadows over your work.

If you are planning on keeping the 10x10 beyond the engine rebuild, then it'll be worth running a little bit of conduit and dropping a few outlets around the room. You wont necessarily be using them all at once, but depending on what you are doing it can be worth it. Charging a drill in one spot, soldering some small stuff in another spot, space heater set up in another spot, etc.

As far as the engine build/rebuild itself, I see no reason why you wouldn't be able to do it with your own hands. I think you meant an electric impact wrench rather than electric torque wrench. You will however need a regular torque wrench to when you are finishing up, such as installing heads, intakes, exhaust manifolds, things of that nature. Even flywheel bolts and water pump bolts have recommended torque ratings. An electric impact would certainly assist on disassembly, but you'll find that you use hand tools for most of the reassembly.

The lights you should be able to find at most any home improvement store such as Lowes or Home Depot.
These might be a good bet, as they can be plugged in rather than wired http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-Fluorescent-C ... 2566f60014
Comes 2 to a set. They are 4 ft lights, so order 2 sets and you've got a pair of 8 ft runs that should light up the storage unit pretty well. If that's not enough, get a third one, and have better coverage. Since they are plugin, you'll be able to use them anywhere by just plugging them in and hanging them up.

For the benches, you can either buy existing benches, or if you like doing things yourself, pick up a pile of lumber, and build to suit your own needs.

Hope all this helps!

·
Registered
706 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah heh, impact wrench. Derp. Then again I was typing this up at midnight on a Friday night soooooo. :p
I'll be running an extension cord from a hall just across from my unit, it's the only way to get power.
The other thing is that it's a uHaul storage unit so I don't think I'll be able to set up outlets or anything.
Those lights look perfect, thanks!! Benches I'm looking forward to building some but I don't know how big I should go...

Overall that was a very informative response but I still need to find out about an engine stand and hoist.

·
Registered
751 Posts
Is this an indoor unit or outdoor? If your sole source of power is going to be an outlet elsewhere by way of an extension cord, you may want to ask the manager what amperage the circuit is. Running the aforementioned lights might take up most of the available amperage, depending on how many amps the ballasts and lights themselves use. If you are using a plug-in electric impact, it might be wise to turn off most of the lights before hammering at stubborn bolts, or you might find yourself in darkness with no way to get to the breaker box. Otherwise just the lights, a radio, and a couple chargers (cordless impact, flashlight, cellphone, things of that nature) SHOULD be within limits of the circuit.

In general, you'll want your benches no more than 24" deep. You might look at 24 as being a huge depth for a bench, but think about the nature of what you're doing. Engines aren't small lol. The construction of most storage units won't allow for a chain hoist to be hung from the ceiling, so that definitely limits your options. Engine stands aren't expensive, and can be had at your local Northern Tool or Harbor Freight. NT currently lists their 1500lb model for 99 dollars, and their 1 ton engine hoist for 199.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts