Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Working on my new (to me) 1998 Trooper, and after having searched the forum and interwebs, can't find an answer to this dilemma...when I use the turn signal, either left or right, the 4way flashers come on. Front and rear. However, when I press the 4way button, I can hear a "click" indicating the relay is active, but nothing flashes...

Also ( on an unrelated note) does the 98 Trooper have separate ignition and door keys? My ignition key goes into all the door locks, but won't turn. My guess is that the ignition switch has been replaced and uses a different key, but am uncertain. Hoping I don't have to disassemble a door lock to get a code for a key.

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
11,922 Posts
A 98 Trooper uses a single flasher for both Turn and Hazard. When the Hazard switch is On the flasher receives +12 VDC from the Horn/Hazard fuse which is powered directly from the battery bus. When the Hazard switch is Off the flasher receives power from the Turn/Back up lamp fuse which is powered by via the ignition switch. This arrangement allows the Hazard lamps to operate with the ignition switch Off.

The Hazard lamps and the Turn Signal lamps are the same lamps. Turning the Hazard switch On is electrically the same as placing the Turn Signal switch in both positions at the same time. If the lamps work properly when used as turn signals but do not illuminate when used as hazard there could be a problem with the Hazard switch or the +12 VDC for the flasher from the Horn/Hazard fuse is missing. The horn relay receives power from this fuse, so if the horn works the fuse must be good.

The Corner lamps are separate from the turn lamps, they are controlled by separate contacts on the Turn Signal switch and receive power from the headlamp switch via the cornering relay which is controlled by the lighting switch. The Corner lamps do not flash.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The lamps both flash when the turn signal is engaged, simulating a hazard signal. When the hazard signal button is depressed, there is a "click" which I assume is the relay activating, but the lights do not flash on either the dash or exterior.

·
Registered
8,073 Posts
The most common cause of this kind of thing is a bad trailer light converter...if you have one, try unplugging it from the vehicle and see what happens.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
BigSwede said:
The most common cause of this kind of thing is a bad trailer light converter...if you have one, try unplugging it from the vehicle and see what happens.
Hmm. There isn't any kind of pigtail visible, but there is a mount and hitch installed...will check right after work. Thanks!!

·
Registered
11,922 Posts
When the Hazard switch is activated the output of the flasher is connected to all four turn signal lamps and the flasher power is connected to the Horn/Hazard fuse, there is no relay involved unless there is an aftermarket widget installed.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Buster28 said:
When the Hazard switch is activated the output of the flasher is connected to all four turn signal lamps and the flasher power is connected to the Horn/Hazard fuse, there is no relay involved unless there is an aftermarket widget installed.
Thanks for clarifying that for me! Since the horn works, the fuse is good, and since the flashers all illuminate when the turn signal is activated (simulating a Hazard signal) the bulbs and wiring is intact. I'm running out of things to check I suppose. I will check out the possibility of a bad trailer connection this evening...

My assumption of a relay was based on the "click" I hear immediately after the depression of the Hazard switch. The "click" seems to originate from behind the center console a little lower than the Hazard switch itself.

·
Registered
645 Posts
that sounds very odd. keep us posted

·
Registered
11,922 Posts
The first thing I would check is the Hazard switch, it connects the flasher to the lamps and the flasher to the power source, it is the key component.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Buster28 said:
The first thing I would check is the Hazard switch, it connects the flasher to the lamps and the flasher to the power source, it is the key component.
So "theoretically" if the Hazard switch were to be removed, if it was the problem the turn signals would function as normal? Trying to get my mind around the steps necessary to test...

·
Registered
11,922 Posts
If you disconnect the Hazard switch the turn signals will no longer function because the power to operate the flasher goes through a set of contacts on the Hazard switch which are closed when the Hazard switch is in the Off position.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks to all you Isuzu gurus offering help!! I have confirmed a couple of things. It doesn't look like there is any trailer pigtail wired into the rear lights, although it does look like there may have been some modifications performed on the passenger rear assembly. It is wired differently than the driver side rear...

On the switches...I think there may have been surgery performed sometime in the Trooper's past. When the Hazard switch is depressed, nothing happens...until the key is turned on. When the key is on, either with the engine running or in accessory mode, and the Hazard switch is depressed, I heard a whirring whine from under the vehicle!? Upon further investigation, it appears that the two switches have been reversed. Hazard switch where the 4wd switch should be, and vica versa. SOooo, with the key in accessory, and depressing the 4wd switch, nothing happens. With the 4wd switch depressed, the turn signal lever no longer activates the 4ways, it does nothing at all. When the 4wd switch is released, the turn signal lever then operates as Hazards.

Would this indicate something as simple as the newly-installed flasher being bad?

**Update** Bought another flasher and same symptoms as before. I suppose the next thing is to go to eBay and buy a Hazard switch and try replacing it. Autozone wants $118!! Ouch.

·
Registered
8,073 Posts
theconns said:
Thanks to all you Isuzu gurus offering help!! I have confirmed a couple of things. It doesn't look like there is any trailer pigtail wired into the rear lights, although it does look like there may have been some modifications performed on the passenger rear assembly. It is wired differently than the driver side rear...
Try one last thing. Lay on the ground under the drivers side rear fender, and look up...there should be a rubber plug up there, an inch or so in diameter. Pull the plug out, there should be a trailer wiring connecter attached to it. If the connecter is empty then there probably isn't a trailer wiring converter on the truck, unless some dumbass didn't know about the factory setup when they wired it and they spliced it in somewhere else.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
BigSwede said:
Try one last thing. Lay on the ground under the drivers side rear fender, and look up...there should be a rubber plug up there, an inch or so in diameter. Pull the plug out, there should be a trailer wiring connecter attached to it. If the connecter is empty then there probably isn't a trailer wiring converter on the truck, unless some dumbass didn't know about the factory setup when they wired it and they spliced it in somewhere else.
Found the harness under driver's rear fender, pulled plug, looks like the harness has seen use. Connector was full or corrosion...if I clip the connector (which is a mangled mess and a total loss) and clip wires to a non-corroded location (wrapping individually with electrical tape to maintain integrity of the circuit) will this mess up anything other than being able to quickly connect a trailer rig?

·
Registered
8,073 Posts
I wouldn't think so...at worst you blow a fuse. The taillight fuse in in the engine compartment fuse box.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
BigSwede said:
I wouldn't think so...at worst you blow a fuse. The taillight fuse in in the engine compartment fuse box.
I didn't figure so...clipped and tried before checking back here. Same as before.

I found and ordered a Hazard switch...will wait until it come in, replace, and report the results back. Hope fuller with good news! Clock wasn't working either, so figure I will replace that as well while I have everything apart.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
**Update**

New Hazard switch is in, and while I had everything apart, I pulled the 4wd switch and put it in the proper location (if you haven't read the entire thread, the Hazard and the 4wd switches were changed around for some reason)...Hazards, Turn signals, and 4wd all operate properly! Strangely, when I went to start the Trooper, it acted as though it was flooded. For some reason, I pushed the Hazard switch, and it started! Off, turning over and acting like flooded. Hazards on, start. Lots of white smoke...took it out, drove for a couple of miles, turned it off, and all is well now. I suppose that disconnecting and reconnecting the battery might have caused the fuel pump to load up a little or something, I am not sure what else to think. Weird that activating the Hazards would allow it to start, though. However, after all is said and done, it appears to be working properly...

Thank you to everyone for their input. Trying to resurrect a neglected vehicle is a challenge! Now need to figure out why the transmission slips when accelerating between 60 and 70, so have some forum searching to do...

·
Registered
8,073 Posts
I suspect your wiring harness problems are not entirely solved...possibly a grounding problem somewhere?

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
BigSwede said:
I suspect your wiring harness problems are not entirely solved...possibly a grounding problem somewhere?
I don't even know where to start trying to run down a grounding problem... I do know that the behavior has not repeated itself since that initial trouble starting, and have driven and restarted multiple times to try and test. Always hits on the first try since...

Any suggestions to looks for possible loose grounds or shorts that are particular problem areas?

·
Registered
8,073 Posts
Hmmm, well, I guess it's wait and see time. Maybe it is OK now...

1 - 20 of 23 Posts