Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ahoy, Mateys! Just wanted to share some pics of my first Isuzu, a 1988 Trooper II, 2.6l, Manual trans. Got her about 8mo ago and its been garaged, under "construction" for the past 6mo. Many parts have been replaced or upgraded, still alot more work to do, but i finally got her on the road about 3 days ago after finishing the parts hunt for the round headlight conv.. what can i say, im in love with this rig, back to being my daily driver! Next up is re-doing the whole exhaust system, along with a set of brand new Calmini headers that i scored a few months back.. and maybe going the 2.3l head/weber route, but we'll see, the I-TEC is running beautifully so i might stick with it for now. Many, many thanks to the whole PlanetIsuzoo community, from the classifieds to all the technical info found here, this would've been a much harder project! :thumbright:

Attachments

·
Registered
4,392 Posts
She's a beauty! Bet it's fun to drive, with all the offroad locations in Puerto Rico.

Nice work, now you can enjoy the fruits of your labors.

Happy New Year!

·
Registered
1989 Trooper R/S
4,197 Posts
My favorite, a gen. one 2 door, and yours sure looks nice. Was on your Island in Nov., and also St. Martin, and St. Kitts. San Juan was my favorite, what a neat city to walk around. I had my camera ready for a Trooper shot to post for all to see, but didn't see a one. I just finished carbing my 89, but my itec wasn't running well and really did it for ease of maint. than anything else. If your Trooper is running good with your itec, I'd stick with it for a while. Parts are getting harder to find for these here in the states, Haven't seen a Gen. one in our local pick and pulls for almost 2 years. Happy new year also and welcome here.

·
Registered
9,785 Posts
srolmeda said:
a set of brand new Calmini headers that i scored a few months back
Welcome. Your rig sure looks nice. Where did you score a Calmini header? New, used I imagine. Dennis

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks itsmehb! Old San Juan is a very charming city, next time you visit rent a car and come out west and explore the island, there's lots of places to visit and things to do. Im on the west side of the island, much more relaxed than San Juan and the beaches are amazing! Yeah troopers here are also very hard to find these days, i don't think i've seen a first gen at a junkyard around here, ever. I see more first gen Monteros than Troopers but there's a few guys, like ********** here, that are very knowledgeable and "collect" first gens, so parts aren't that hard to find.

The header i got on eBay a few months ago DSUZU. I just happen to be looking at the right time because the guy had just posted the item with a "buy it now" of $100! Brand new, old stock, it even came with the Calmini stickers, I've never been so happy about an eBay score before, lol :mrgreen:

Attachments

·
Registered
4,350 Posts
Killer trooper, love it.

Please share photos of the beautiful terrain and trooper.

Cheers
-Ian :blackeye:

·
Registered
2,096 Posts
My favorite as well, the '88 lwb 2 door. Looks great! And nice score on the header.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thank you all! Ill keep updating as i go along. The troop is at a friends shop at the moment getting the AC fixed. I also replaced the 4x4 light switch a few days ago, the last thing i needed to fix to get the truck working 100%.. Manual trans and diff oil change is next :)

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Did about 5hrs of trails today on the south western corner of the island (PR), very dry landscape compared to the rest which is mostly rainforest. Great day, she ran like a champ! Didn't take many pics but here's a few. Enjoy :wink:

Attachments

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Been a while since the last update, as things get back to normal here in PR, work has continued on my 88. Las week i replaced both front calipers, disks, brake hoses, cleaned up and painted/rust protected everything under the wells, came out looking factory fresh and most importantly, it brakes now! Had a stuck, leaking front caliper and the lack of braking power was alarming. next time i have to deal with that ill do the "big brake" upgrade. Removed, cleaned, painted and serviced the alternator, at some point it had a real bad PS leak, the thing was covered in dirt/oil inside and out.
This week im working on replacing a noisy PS pump, hoses and fix a broken bolt on the mount. Also doing the timing belt and tensioner, the water pump was replaced by the PO before i got her about two years ago. Not sure when it was replaced last but i figured since i have most of the stuff out of the way, i might as well, plus ill know when it was done! Waiting on a few parts from Jerry and Ron (lowzone), till then im detailing the engine bay, removing stuff, cleaning, painting, etc.. busy week. Valve adjustment is next after she's all put back together and moving to the interior, insulation padding and new carpet ready to be installed.

Sorry not a whole lot of pics, just a pic of the timing belt removal in progress and also a pic of the harmonic balancer, looks like the mark has slipped, im i correct?

More pics and updates to come :wink:

Attachments

·
Registered
1989 Trooper R/S
4,197 Posts
Really nice 88. Hard to tell if your balancer has slipped from the picture. Easiest way is to line up the cam gear with it's mark. That is when No. 4 is at TDC on the compression stroke. The balancer, if it has not slipped will now be pointing at the zero mark on the timing scale. If you pull the balancer, you can check the mark on the crank. The keyed shaft is upright at the 12 o'clock position. Put the balancer back on and if the mark is off, you can paint it black, and file a new groove in the balancer to agree with the zero mark and then paint it white so you can use it for checking the timing. You can see on mine it slipped several degrees. Best to check the timing by sound of the engine. Back it off it it pings.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,948 Posts
Nice trooper.
I was down in Camuy last year visiting family and noticed a small amount of built suzukis and monteros but hard to spot any isuzus like in Costa Rica where they are prevalent.
If I get back, we should give you a shout.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks for the info and the picture itmehb, ill take a look and confirm.

Thanks lorenzo! Camuy isn't too far away from me, i'm in Rincon, hit me up next time! Yeah, there's alot of suzuki's around here, from street/strip rotary powered beasts to full blown trail rigs and everything in between, getting expensive btw. Montero's (first gens) you see every now and then but not too many around anymore and Troopers (first gens) are hard to spot lately, there's very few of them around and most of those aren't taken care of. Here's a pic of my Suzuki SJ410 (pre samurai), my dad bought it back in 85' and its still in the family. Its been garaged for the past few years now, needs some restoration work, i need to get to that if the Trooper ever lets me :lol:

Attachments

·
Registered
9,785 Posts
Sweet looking Suzuki. And it has the folding windshield too. I lucked out and found one of those in the yard (back when I had my Samurai and changed it over to the folding windshield, but never did fold it down. Miss that little bugger. Yes, prices for those are totally outrageous, but as supply dwindles, price skyrockets. Had the same brush bar on mine, but opted to paint my "black stuff" silver. GM metallic red with silver trim and a white top. Miss it. Dennis

·
Registered
3,948 Posts
Nice, I drove down to Rincon from Aguadilla just for fun with my cousin and aunt one day when we were there. I love the west side.
Had a beer in town and then drove back up.
If I head back To PR, I'll hit ya up.
Very nice Suzuki and oooh I hope your side of la Isla has power now since the hurricane I hear its been crazy.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
From Aguadilla is just half an hour, not far at all. Yeah the west side of the island just has a different feeling, specially Rincon. Like the saying goes, "It's (always) 5 O'clock Somewhere", well, Rincon is the place where is always 5 o'clock :lol:
Things are slowly getting better, we got water up and running again about two weeks ago, but more than half of the island still has no power, Rincon included and its probably going to take another month or two, who knows maybe more :sad3:
For sure man, definitely, hit me up.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts