Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Banned
Joined
·
3,178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, I've never heard of this designation, but I found a Trooper with "XS" on the side where you usually see LS or SE, etc... What's the low down? I looked it over and don't really see anything unusual.... Is it like Turbine powered or something?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
523 Posts
Another trim level, but not sure how it stacks up to the other two. Maybe a barebones level?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,073 Posts
I *think* it was a long wheel base, two door...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,646 Posts
It was like a Sport edition on most Rodeo's and Troopers, and the best edition on early Amigo's.

It was usually a S, with an automatic, chrome trim, and maybe some power options. Most Rodeo XS's were 2WD. And if i remember, most XS Troops had Flakes, and the 4x4 xs rodeo's did but the 2wd ones either had flakes or some other form of an Alloy wheel.

I consider them the "Sport" designation. Not the base S, but not the luxury LS either.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10,560 Posts
when I bought my '88 Trooper new=
S model = stripper black rubber trim, painted steel wheels with trim rings, 5 speed, manual windows and door locks, bench rear seat, burlap fabric, radio optional. rear wiper and defog option, roof rack option, no LSD, solid color paint and painted grey bumpers
$13,000

XS model = next step up chrome trim and bumpers, alloy wheels, 4 speaker stereo, more velour like cloth.
+$1,200-$1.400 more than S

LS model = top of line (added to xs stuff) Standard 2 tone paints with wide rubber lower moulding on doors, Captain chairs (added arm rests) folding split rear seat that made a bed sorta, power windows + locks, standard LSD. rear step bumper, plastic finish panels under the dash at knee level fancier cloth on seats.
$1.200-$2,000 more than xs

These are the basics as I recall. Like most Jap cars of the time. 2 or 3 trim levels and everything else was a dealer installed option.
Several marketing packages such as SE. As always with Isuzu many exception to every rule and package.

As the v6's came out in '89 more upscale stuff got added. Wide tire option with snowflakes, fender flares and mud flaps were a factory option on 4 door and standard on RS.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,124 Posts
********** said:
Hey, I've never heard of this designation, but I found a Trooper with "XS" on the side where you usually see LS or SE, etc... What's the low down? I looked it over and don't really see anything unusual.... Is it like Turbine powered or something?
i have one, but it didn't come with the turbine option
cheers, john
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,404 Posts
The "X" in the XS stands for the unknown. That particular model came with the teleport and light speed space time continuum package. Also there are pop-up rear mounted computer assisted tracking attack lasers for when the Cylons are on your 6.

Oh and it had chrome and cup holders
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
571 Posts
squatch said:
LS model = top of line (added to xs stuff) Standard 2 tone paints with wide rubber lower moulding on doors, Captain chairs (added arm rests) folding split rear seat that made a bed sorta, power windows + locks, standard LSD. rear step bumper, plastic finish panels under the dash at knee level fancier cloth on seats.
$1.200-$2,000 more than xs
Standard LSD's on LS models? Mine's an LS and it doesn't have the G80 option where all the option codes are listed. Are you sure about this?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,404 Posts
Star Blazers said:
squatch said:
LS model = top of line (added to xs stuff) Standard 2 tone paints with wide rubber lower moulding on doors, Captain chairs (added arm rests) folding split rear seat that made a bed sorta, power windows + locks, standard LSD. rear step bumper, plastic finish panels under the dash at knee level fancier cloth on seats.
$1.200-$2,000 more than xs
Standard LSD's on LS models? Mine's an LS and it doesn't have the G80 option where all the option codes are listed. Are you sure about this?
Yeah, the G80 was not standard on the LS. There are some, very few, first gens that actually came with the G80 but it was a buy up option not based upon trim level package. Also not all LS's have power options. My 88 does not have power anything. But one other thing LS's cam with is the addional plastic panel that is below the dash, under the steering wheel, above the pedals and below the glove box on the passenger side.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
571 Posts
stusvend said:
Star Blazers said:
squatch said:
LS model = top of line (added to xs stuff) Standard 2 tone paints with wide rubber lower moulding on doors, Captain chairs (added arm rests) folding split rear seat that made a bed sorta, power windows + locks, standard LSD. rear step bumper, plastic finish panels under the dash at knee level fancier cloth on seats.
$1.200-$2,000 more than xs
Standard LSD's on LS models? Mine's an LS and it doesn't have the G80 option where all the option codes are listed. Are you sure about this?
Yeah, the G80 was not standard on the LS. There are some, very few, first gens that actually came with the G80 but it was a buy up option not based upon trim level package. Also not all LS's have power options. My 88 does not have power anything. But one other thing LS's cam with is the addional plastic panel that is below the dash, under the steering wheel, above the pedals and below the glove box on the passenger side.
Yes that is the impression I was always under. Squatch you got me all excited for nothing! :p
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,672 Posts
I hate to say this but I seriously don't think ANY of the first gens came with G80 option. Stusvend has an ls without it. I've had an LS parts truck that didn't have it either, plus a dozen or so LS's at pullapart that didn't have it either. Even the v6 LS and the RS's didn't have it. I've only been able to find the G80's on the second gens, And my eyes have been wide open for years now.
I think that it was mostly interior trim and paint shceme that made the LS an LS. My 1988 trooper doesn't have a trim stamp on it anywhere IE; "LS" "S" or "XS". But it came with chrome trim, 15" mag wheels, manual locking hubs, window tint and 30x9.50 AT tires, but nothing else, IE; cruise control, intermitent wipers, power windows, or factory air, the air that it did have was dealer installed. It also had an auto trans that I've heard was a customer bought option.

In a nut shell, I don't think the trim levels meant a whole lot on the first gen trucks. You got what you got. Which attributes to the "easter eggs" of the different year models. I think that makes this hobby more fun. Just yesterday I was at stusvends house and noticed that his 1988 trooper LS has a storage compartment in the rear cargo area. I said WTF?? I need to go find one of those now. Its just too fun to see what everyone ended up with in there troopers you know?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,404 Posts
caveman said:
I hate to say this but I seriously don't think ANY of the first gens came with G80 option. Stusvend has an ls without it. I've had an LS parts truck that didn't have it either, plus a dozen or so LS's at pullapart that didn't have it either. Even the v6 LS and the RS's didn't have it. I've only been able to find the G80's on the second gens, And my eyes have been wide open for years now.
I think that it was mostly interior trim and paint shceme that made the LS an LS. My 1988 trooper doesn't have a trim stamp on it anywhere IE; "LS" "S" or "XS". But it came with chrome trim, 15" mag wheels, manual locking hubs, window tint and 30x9.50 AT tires, but nothing else, IE; cruise control, intermitent wipers, power windows, or factory air, the air that it did have was dealer installed. It also had an auto trans that I've heard was a customer bought option.

In a nut shell, I don't think the trim levels meant a whole lot on the first gen trucks. You got what you got. Which attributes to the "easter eggs" of the different year models. I think that makes this hobby more fun. Just yesterday I was at stusvends house and noticed that his 1988 trooper LS has a storage compartment in the rear cargo area. I said WTF?? I need to go find one of those now. Its just too fun to see what everyone ended up with in there troopers you know?
Yeah, it's pretty neat to see all of the variances in them. Ben, I think you got the manual hubs because of the auto trans. I believe those always went together. Which seems kind of odd. You'd think that manual trans would get the more basic, less luxurious manual hubs and vise verse. "You mean I have to get OUT of the truck to engage the 4WD?" It does get interesting though. Especially when you start looking at all of the odd things like roof mounted speakers and all of the things the foreign markets got or didnt get like canvas tops. The diesels with the tall roof hump like a lando discovery for instance or how the SWB in other countries didnt have the 4.77 gears or the other options that make the RS. In case anyone missed it, look up the thread with the German, "Magik edition" first gen trooper. That one is just down right cool looking.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,977 Posts
That's funny.......every XS I've seen (Especially mine!) is bare-bones nothing.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,969 Posts
Selador said:
It's the Xtra Stupid edition.
Well I don't agree with that. I have an XS, it has the V6 and auto. Chrome bumpers and chrome grill. Did not have armrests but has A/C. Did not have cruise or intermitent wipers.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,977 Posts
Selador said:
It's the Xtra Stupid edition.
Mine is the eXceSsively plain edition I guess! I'ts got A/C and manual everything else. But on the up-side, nothing electrical to break or wear-out
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,284 Posts
hessmess said:
Selador said:
It's the Xtra Stupid edition.
Well I don't agree with that. I have an XS, it has the V6 and auto. Chrome bumpers and chrome grill. Did not have armrests but has A/C. Did not have cruise or intermitent wipers.
I didn't mean to be offensive. I was joking.
 
1 - 20 of 26 Posts
Top