Isuzu SUV Forum banner
61 - 71 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
564 Posts
mtman said:
I'm going to go a different direction here, go for a 92-97 DOHC if you can find it. If service has been kept up, they are incredibly reliable.
Might as well beat a dead horse here (and congrats on your purchase, datroopa!) -- technically, in the US, there wasn't a DOHC motor offered in the Trooper or Rodeo for '96-'97. The 3.2L SOHC motor was re-worked in '96 to produce the same amount of horsepower as the '92-'95 DOHC unit, so the DOHC was dropped.

Personally, I think the best Trooper combos are:

'95.5 Trooper LS or Limited (reliable DOHC motor that doesn't seem to have a 'lifter tick' issue, dual airbags, newer dash design, simpler 4WD system)
'99 Trooper S Performance Package (the 3.5L DOHC motor has a reputation for failing, but once you know it's issues and how to work around them they're great, and no lifters to worry about!)

The later model (2000+) Troopers have a drive-by-wire throttle that has expensive sensors, and have a different and harder to source automatic transmission (technically, it's still the 4L30E, but it has a "duty cycle" torque converter).

Unfortunately, I don't think the DOHC motor was offered in '95.5 with the 5 speed manual, but it seems like that would be the ultimate combination for reliability. Just pop a set of Aisin manual hubs on and you'd be rock solid from stem to stern!

·
Registered
62 Posts
I have a '95.5 LS with SOHC. Most of the web parts sites tell me an LS has the DOHC. VIN code matches SOHC. Maybe it was an option for the LS. ???

·
Registered
564 Posts
Are you sure your 95.5 is an LS and not an S with the Preferred Equipment Package (S-PEP)? What color are your door mirrors, black, body, or chrome? If you post or send me your VIN I'll look it up in the Isuzu EPC and let you know what trim code it reports.

·
Registered
809 Posts
mtman said:
I'm going to go a different direction here, go for a 92-97 DOHC if you can find it. If service has been kept up, they are incredibly reliable.
anything that makes it better than the same years SOHC?

·
Registered
996 Posts
I should of said 92-95 DOHC and 96-97. The 92-95 DOHC eliminates rocker shafts and gets you to 190hp like the 96-97 SOHC's. Less likelihood of lifter tick problems and oil leaks.

·
Registered
809 Posts
^ meh, mine ticks like crazy but runs like new.

·
Registered
996 Posts
Yeah, I'm in the process of rebuilding a DOHC to replace my SOHC in my 1995. After tearing the motor down, the design of the DOHC heads is a lot better than the SOHC heads and the block is built incredibly stout from the factory, like a 6 bolt main.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #68 ·
Okay I'm wondering now. Are there any good after market exhausts for the 2.8 V6?

·
Registered
84 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2,371 Posts
As stated in your other post, it is an Isuzu engine. All you really need to worry about is staying away from the auto transmission.

61 - 71 of 71 Posts