Isuzu SUV Forum banner
41 - 60 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
10,560 Posts
The power controller technology in the tesla is the same(newer version) as the GM EV1 in the movie above. It was developed by the same person I have been told. Here's what I'm waiting for to be my next commuter car
http://www.aptera.com/
Man this thread has really drifted. "88 is the best year trooper and 2.6 is the best motor My .02

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
Actually I think the Aptera is just missing some airplane wings. They should've called that model the Cessna. Wonder what it's like to drive.

The Tesla is cool, but what about luggage? Pretty much the same size as Lotus. Bet it kicks major *** though. When was the last time you saw tach go that high?

·
Registered
7,534 Posts
JBH1989 said:
Night Wolf said:
BTW did you know Ford has been making flexfuel (E-85) vehicles since the 90's.... all the Taurus' and Rangers with the leaf badge on the back are FFV, and most owners don't even know it.
Yeah, cause the current ethanol is SUCH a good fuel...
ok, why not have a flex fuel E85 hybrid????? cheaper renewable source of fuel and hybrid fuel economy....or or or even better 3 cylinder diesel hybrid...imagine what a VW would get on a diesel Bug with an electric motor for city driving.....70 or more mpg?????? the diesel gets 42/49 now!!!!

ok back on topic....later year 2.6L were STRONGER and better built. series 4 or higher heads were best. i say 88-up I4 2.6L with 5 speed, 4 door LS model. blue with silver trim and grey interior....best combo and driveline. the 2.8L/3.1L (in rodeos 91-92, pups 91-94 4wd v6) are nearly indestructable, no power for a v6 but not at all twitchy, intake manifold issues were rampant in the S10s due to the iron heads and aluminum intake, same as the 2.6L aluminum head and iron block, different expansion rates. gaskets dont like that....each has their own flaws, but overall a 1st gen trooper, i prefer 4 dr and I4 5 speeds....imo

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
Lowzone,
I like the VW diesel hybrid suggestion, just make it biodiesel and it's even lower emissions.

As for the 2.6... Finding a living 2.6 is getting difficult around here. I did drive a 2.6 yesterday. It just needed some tlc, It had 275k on the speedo. The owner had pieced together the engine and replaced it with a used engine, also replaced the head with one he had kicking around. The tranny grinded into 3 gear unless you timed it just right and then as we drove it the idle started racing over and over. But it was really clean under the hood and in the interior and the older guy selling it was really into the 1st gen Troopers. He also had a 2 door 2.3 that he drove daily. It was good to talk to him, he really knew a lot, was very personable, and definitely wasn't trying to put one over on anyone.

I just want something with less wear to start with, not a major project, no time for that. 2nd gen Troopers are common around here in the auto trader, but none with stick. Now I'm just leaning towards a 2.8 LS 5spd(power windows, being able to open all the windows when you're driving is key). Like I said a few times before I guess I'll see what the best one I can find will be. But it's gonna be first gen for sure.

The blue car you described is the exact same car I had, except it was 2.8. It was a good one.

·
Registered
10,560 Posts
Actually when VW was talking about bringing back the "new beetle" they did a lot of customer surveys and magazine surveys. One of the questions was what engine would you like? Diesel-electric hybrid was on the check off list.

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
pktrusty said:
The 3800 is a darn fuel efficient motor. But all those boats arent as high in the air which accounts for the drop in fuel economy.
Not to mention the difference in gearing. They are not geared to pull.

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
ArcticTrooper said:
As for the 2.8, the thing I hate the most about it is that mine only gets about 14.5 mpg average, which I think that it is a testament to American engineering when two motors put out the same amount of power and the American motor gets 6 fewer miles per gallon than the Japanese.
Fueleconomy.gov lists 15/17 for an 89 Trooper, 5 speed, 2.6L and 14/17 for the v6. I get about 15/18. Where do you see a 6 MPG difference? What do you other 2.6 owners (Troopers, not Amigos - they are heaver and more boxy) see in reality?

Again, the peak torque and HP are comparable, but I'm going to say the V6 has a wider powerband. Anyone have a dyno?

Our 89 Grand Marquis with a 5.0 EFI gets about 24 MPG highway. It's not very fast off the line, though.

·
Registered
84 Posts
When I was driving the 2.6 I was getting about 20 mpg average, which most of those miles where going though a long back country road with lots of hills and curves. When my dad drove the same car before me he siad that his best was 425 miles on one tank wich is like 23 mpg and he would typically drive about 390 miles on one tank which is like 21 mpg.

I have also seen other people on the forum report getting up to 27 mpg.

But I don't know why the EPA would get something far lower than what at least some of us have gotten, maybe thay didn't ever drive the car and it is just a mathematical estimate.

·
Registered
987 Posts
what was this topic again? o ya opinions on the best year for a trooper.....just thought i would remind everyone

·
Registered
2,920 Posts
armyBob said:
DAMUDKING said:
what was this topic again? o ya opinions on the best year for a trooper.....just thought i would remind everyone
1989, of course.
Damn right, that's my year of birth. Of course it's the best year!

·
Registered
326 Posts
ArmyBob said:

>Again, the peak torque and HP are comparable, but I'm going to say the V6 has a wider powerband. Anyone have a dyno?

I do. Y'all are welcome to come over and settle this once and for all! But just be aware, the dyno is a big humbler (i.e. you almost never put down what you think you will)

>what was this topic again? o ya opinions on the best year for a trooper.....just thought i would remind everyone
>1989, of course.

So really, that means 1988-1991 right? Aren't they identical in those years?

·
Registered
10,560 Posts
armyBob said:
ArcticTrooper said:
As for the 2.8, the thing I hate the most about it is that mine only gets about 14.5 mpg average, which I think that it is a testament to American engineering when two motors put out the same amount of power and the American motor gets 6 fewer miles per gallon than the Japanese.
Fueleconomy.gov lists 15/17 for an 89 Trooper, 5 speed, 2.6L and 14/17 for the v6. I get about 15/18. Where do you see a 6 MPG difference? What do you other 2.6 owners (Troopers, not Amigos - they are heaver and more boxy) see in reality?

Again, the peak torque and HP are comparable, but I'm going to say the V6 has a wider powerband. Anyone have a dyno?

Our 89 Grand Marquis with a 5.0 EFI gets about 24 MPG highway. It's not very fast off the line, though.
I kept real good records on my 1st '88. 2.6 5sp in stock trim it would avg 19-22mpg all around. on long slow trips such as cruising "skyline drive" at 45 mph it would get 25+mpg, but only driven easy under 50mph. After a mild 1 1/2" lift and 32s with light alloy wheels and 3 bar thule roofrack and stock 4:56 gears(that was the way I drove it for years).
I averaged around 18 mpg day in day out at 70+mph commute. And that's corrected for larger tires. If I removed the roof rack or carried my canoe on top(aerodynamic aid it seems) it would increase to 19-20 corrected. This was for a bought new very well maintained truck and I have always tended to drive like the "hypermilers" long following distances, steady throttle, stay away from the brakes ect.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #57 ·
Well it seems I can put this thread to bed. I was able to find a super clean quite well taken care of white '91 LS 2.8 with 93 thousand miles which I bought last weekend. Body is straight, with no rust, the paint is looking really good and the interior is spotless. Most everything works except for the AC, but power windows will work just find in the meantime being that I live close to the coast. It also does need a tune up because the idle races a bit and also one of the injectors sprays while the other drips! So I'll have it right in no time. Anyhow I wanna thank you guys for all the info and I'll post pics when I find time.

·
Registered
996 Posts
I'm going to go a different direction here, go for a 92-97 DOHC if you can find it. If service has been kept up, they are incredibly reliable.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #59 ·
mtman said:
I'm going to go a different direction here, go for a 92-97 DOHC if you can find it. If service has been kept up, they are incredibly reliable.
Guess you didn't read my last post, but maybe somebody else will appreciate that info.

·
Registered
996 Posts
LOL I was reading through the posts and got distracted at the end by my wife :) Anyways, congrats and good luck with it!

41 - 60 of 71 Posts