Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2,920 Posts
squatch said:
datroopa said:
Thanks Squatch. (Is that name short for Sa-squatch?) Good to hear that these babies run I thought so. Man i shoulda kept that '90 LS 2.8, that car was clean and mean. I like that header pic, I dunno if I'm gonna get away with that here in Cali (damn smog rules). But I'm sure something can be done to 2.6 to pump it up a little. Okay man thanks again Squatch for that post.

Anyone else wanna weigh in with their 2cents?
Yes sasquatch, it's a long story. If you don't have any previous preference I would just go with the best cleanest truck you can find. Second gens are nice too but my experience is limited to a couple of years in my 2000. I prefer the simplicity of the first gens. If you are an auto guy maybe a little better with the v6. 5 spd guy go 4 banger. The 2.6 does like regular maint and will let you know if you neglect it. The v6 may be a little more forgiving of late tune ups ect.
My friend's 92 Rodeo 3.1L had about two quarts of oil in it when we changed it and still holds great oil pressure. It's a very forgiving engine. Not to mention the alternator is up high and can be swapped for any high-cap GM alternator, unlike the 2.6L.

However, I must disagree with you squatch, the 2.6L auto has a much tougher and more reliable transmission than the 2.8L V6 auto. The V6s use the GM 4L30E (look up failures and fluid changes here) while the 2.6L autos use the Toyota-esque Aisin 30-40LE. Much tougher and will withstand much more abuse. The 4L30 was designed for cars (older BMW 5-series), the 30-40LE (A340H) was designed for use in trucks (Tacoma, Sequoia, Tundra, 4Runner, etc)

·
Registered
2,920 Posts
Night Wolf said:
BTW did you know Ford has been making flexfuel (E-85) vehicles since the 90's.... all the Taurus' and Rangers with the leaf badge on the back are FFV, and most owners don't even know it.
Yeah, cause the current ethanol is SUCH a good fuel...

·
Registered
2,920 Posts
armyBob said:
DAMUDKING said:
what was this topic again? o ya opinions on the best year for a trooper.....just thought i would remind everyone
1989, of course.
Damn right, that's my year of birth. Of course it's the best year!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts