Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2,521 Posts
2.6L is a stout little motor, its almost, again almost, half of a GM 350. If you compair CU.In. 2.6L is a good fuel mileage motor. Likes to be shifted at about 4100 RPM as thats where the torque band is. I love my 2.6L its a great motor, I have about 6K miles on mine since I rebuilt it.

2.6L--> Aluminum head, watch your TEMP. One time into overheat and your asking for a new head. Mine did it 2 times to me before we noticed problems. The problems I had was too much timing, it RAN GREAT, but blew the head gasket. along with the #3 Cylinder Exhaust Valve. and cracks all over the head. Keep an eye on Vacuum lines, these have alot of them. If they even start to crack, install new ones. But the big one is the Thremostat locking closed and over heating, or lots of coolant loss.

2.8L--> Good motor, LOTS of aftermarket support. I had one in my 89 Beretta Good motor, very simple to trouble shoot, stout bottom end. Can be fuel friendly if they get set up and are kept up right. But they have no more power than the 2.6L. The one in my Beretta ran even better once I did and good exhaust, and a high flow filter and put better coils, Plugs and wires, and was also running on 130 octane Ethanol. ( Of course mine was Fuel Injected, the GM stuff your looking at wont be, it will be Throttle Body ).

·
Registered
2,521 Posts
armyBob said:
88SuperTrooper said:
The one in my Beretta ran even better once I did and good exhaust, and a high flow filter and put better coils, Plugs and wires, and was also running on 130 octane Ethanol. ( Of course mine was Fuel Injected, the GM stuff your looking at wont be, it will be Throttle Body ).
TBI is fuel injection ;) It's just not multipoint or sequential. But it is about as simple as it gets.
You still know what I meant lol! Got me.....

1 - 2 of 2 Posts