Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
88SuperTrooper said:
The one in my Beretta ran even better once I did and good exhaust, and a high flow filter and put better coils, Plugs and wires, and was also running on 130 octane Ethanol. ( Of course mine was Fuel Injected, the GM stuff your looking at wont be, it will be Throttle Body ).
TBI is fuel injection ;) It's just not multipoint or sequential. But it is about as simple as it gets.

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
88SuperTrooper said:
armyBob said:
88SuperTrooper said:
The one in my Beretta ran even better once I did and good exhaust, and a high flow filter and put better coils, Plugs and wires, and was also running on 130 octane Ethanol. ( Of course mine was Fuel Injected, the GM stuff your looking at wont be, it will be Throttle Body ).
TBI is fuel injection ;) It's just not multipoint or sequential. But it is about as simple as it gets.
You still know what I meant lol! Got me.....
Heh heh...I know, just giving you a hard time. I was working on my truck the other day, and someone looked at the air cleaner and said, "Hey, you still have a carburetor?" I wanted to say, "Yeah, it's in the back seat, next to the spare radiator."

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
datroopa said:
Thanks armyBob. Yeah, I'm undecided on which one to buy right now. it might just come down to what I find, thats still in good shape.
I do remember the 2.8 LS I had, so maybe I need to drive the 2.6 and see what I notice that's different about it.
The 2.8 offers more engine swap options, if that is a consideration.

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
pktrusty said:
The 3800 is a darn fuel efficient motor. But all those boats arent as high in the air which accounts for the drop in fuel economy.
Not to mention the difference in gearing. They are not geared to pull.

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
ArcticTrooper said:
As for the 2.8, the thing I hate the most about it is that mine only gets about 14.5 mpg average, which I think that it is a testament to American engineering when two motors put out the same amount of power and the American motor gets 6 fewer miles per gallon than the Japanese.
Fueleconomy.gov lists 15/17 for an 89 Trooper, 5 speed, 2.6L and 14/17 for the v6. I get about 15/18. Where do you see a 6 MPG difference? What do you other 2.6 owners (Troopers, not Amigos - they are heaver and more boxy) see in reality?

Again, the peak torque and HP are comparable, but I'm going to say the V6 has a wider powerband. Anyone have a dyno?

Our 89 Grand Marquis with a 5.0 EFI gets about 24 MPG highway. It's not very fast off the line, though.

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
I'm lucky to get 18 highway. But I typically have 500 pounds of crap in the trunk, so there it is.

I saw a page somewhere where the guy had converted his Trooper to run on...get this...steam.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts