Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a really dumb question about replacing the water pump on my 90 Trooper. It appears that it has been replaced before, and the bolt heads may be a little stripped. I have never seen bolts like these. Round heads with either a torx or allen hole. Can anyone tell me if they are English or Metric? Every wrench I have seems a little loose in them.

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
Umm, two words:

WHICH ENGINE!!!!

:shock:

Actually, it doesn't matter (I'm just being a smarta$$ ;) ), neither the 2.6 4-cyl or 2.8 V6 ever used TORX or Allen, so you're probably right in that it's a replacement.

TORX heads look more like a star with concave innards whereas the allens are more octagonal with straight connecting sides.

Even so, the OEM bolts on both motors are metric with metric thread patterns so your mystery bolts are most likely metric as well, and IIRC, TORX comes in metric and standard.

If your engine is the 2.6, the foot/lbs torque according to the Helm manual is 13.7 with 15 being a more comfortable rating, IMHO.

Don't remember for the 2.8 although 'tight' works really well :lol:

Please complete the profile section and list your rig and some basic specs (like engine type :wink: ) it really helps when troubleshooting problems. The Trooper has the distinction of having come with the 2.3, 2.6, 2.8, 3.2, and 3.5 Liter engines.

BTW:

WELCOME TO THE BOARD!!!!

Cheers,

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks! Its a 2.8. Do you have any idea what the original bolt size is? I wouldn't mind replacing them. I can't tell if these are torx or allen - they are too sloppy. I can get a little bite out of a metric hexhead, so I might try and go with it. If they strip I'm really screwed!

Mike

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
That.............I don't remember. The head size was in the 13, 14 mm range and I don't know the thread-pitch or bolt diameter.

I changed my pump/radiator setup some time ago and didn't have to replace any fasterners (whew!) so I had no need to get into any details on that issue.

If the truck is driveable, then I would recommend finding a shop that will see if the head type can be determined with their tools, that way you don't risk damaging a fastener.

IIRC, TORX and Allen are 5 or 6-point. Hex-heads are 8-point? Maybe someone will chime in and verify.......Seems I recall that a phillips screwdriver will fit in to a Hex Head from my old RV service days.........

Once you get one fastener out, you can then go and match up new fasteners with the old as far as thread-pitch and bolt length. There are usually retailers who specialize in fasteners under that catagory in the yellow pagers (ask me how I know this :roll: )The other option is to buy them from any GM dealer or call (ask for parts) St. Charles ISUZU in MO http://isuzu.stcharlesauto.com/index.asp and they can help you out.

If that is not an option, then you may just have to spring for a cheap set of both types of tools and hope for the best. Advance Auto and AutoZone have them and you can also to to northerntool.com and harborfreight.com for mail order.

DO NOT attempt to pull a fastener with an inappropriate tool. If they've been in a while, then most likely they are 'frozen' and will take a fair amount of torque to 'break' them free which means you really need the right tool to avoid stripping the head, espcially if they are TORX or allen. HOWEVER, desparate times make for desparate actions. With what you have, TRY EACH fastener VERY GENTLY with your tool and just see if you get lucky and maybe one will turn out without stripping. At the first sign of slippage though, STOP.

Is this the original motor in your Trooper? If its a reman, then maybe you can find who did the rebuild and ask what fastners they use.............just a thought.

Good Luck

Cheers,

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks. These look like 6 point. I tried English & Metric in them - they are all too big or too small. I'm going to try some torx next. No auto stores open out here on Thanksgiving!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Looks like a torx takes care of most of them. (T30) There are three larger ones that I don't have a torx big enough for. Do you know if the PS pump has to be removed? I took one bolt out of the brace for it already.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
Yep, now that you mention it, there are several of the accessory bolts that have to come out. IIRC, the PS pump/AC compressor bracket has to be moved to get to some of the other bolts for the water pump. So, are all the fasteners torx? Or just some of them?

If the large accessory bolts are torx, then that's definitely not an OEM motor. I don't have any idea where a torx that large could be got, might have to check with some fastener places anyway. NAPA might have something like that.

Cheers,

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.