Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i put a new head on my 1990 2.6L trooper last week. it has about 150 miles on the new head. When i installed the new head i set the valve clearance @ .0008 in. (.20mm), for all the valves. This is what the haynes manual said to set them at. Now i went in to adjust them and they are all very tight, i cannot fit a .0008 in. (.20mm) feeler guage between the stem and arm.

NOW my chilton manual says to set the valves at .0006 in. (.15mm) for the intake valves and .0010 (.25mm) for the exhaust valves. So were should i set the valve clearance, i understand thet should be alittle loose as opposed to a little tight, but what clearance should i use?? Were are you guys setting your valves??

·
Registered
5,223 Posts
traskrover said:
i put a new head on my 1990 2.6L trooper last week. it has about 150 miles on the new head. When i installed the new head i set the valve clearance @ .0008 in. (.20mm), for all the valves. This is what the haynes manual said to set them at. Now i went in to adjust them and they are all very tight, i cannot fit a .0008 in. (.20mm) feeler guage between the stem and arm.

NOW my chilton manual says to set the valves at .0006 in. (.15mm) for the intake valves and .0010 (.25mm) for the exhaust valves. So were should i set the valve clearance, i understand thet should be alittle loose as opposed to a little tight, but what clearance should i use?? Were are you guys setting your valves??
SET THEM ALL AT .OO8 OR .20 AND SET THEM COLD ONLY, I HOPE YOU MADE A MISPRINT .0008 IS WAY TOO TIGHT ,THIOS WOULD BE LESS THAN 1 THOUSAND OF AN INCH, AND THEY WOULD BURN IN NO TIME

TO SET THE VLVS CORRECTLY SET THE NO 4 CYL ON TDC AND ADJUST THE INT AND EX VLV AND THEN THE IN ON NO 3 AND THE EX ON NO 2 ,,

NOW ROTATE THE CRANKSHAFT ONE COMPLETE TURN BACK UP TO TDC AGAIN AND ADJUST CYL NO ONE INT AND EX AND THE IN ON NO 2 AND THE EX ON NO 3 AND YOU ARE DONE, WHEN YOU ADJUST THE VLVS ADJUST THEM WITH JUST A SLIGHT DRAG ON THE FEELER GAUGE

THE .008 SPECS ON THE INT AND THE .0010 SPECS ARE OK FOR THE EX WITH NEW OR GOOD CONDITION ROCKER ARMS BUT USED ROCKER ARMS .0010 MAY BE JUST A TAD NOISEY ON THE EX HAUSTJUST DON,T GO TIGHTER THAN .008 AT ANY TIME AS THE VLV S WEAR INTO THE SEATS THEY WILL TIGHTEN UP , THAT IS WHY YOU NEED TO CHECK THEM EVERY COUPLE OF THOUSAND MILES UNTILL THEY STOP RECEDING AFTER A COUPLE OF CHECK YOU SHOULD BE GOOD TO GO FOR 15000 MILES THEN DO IT AGAIN JERRY

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yeah sorry about that too many zero's. it is .008 in. i can fit the fit .008 feeler gauge in there but its tight. I had a little bit of "rattle" coming from the valve cover, so hoping doing the adjustment RIGHT will make this noise go away. So go .008 on all the valves like i did the first time should work fine eh?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.