Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When warm and after a period of slow driving, the tranny in my '97 3.2 Auto Trooper seems to get confused and will not change up into high gears unless 'booted' and then wants to change down far too early. I stop the truck, open the hood and shout loudly at the engine. I then restart and all is well until I repeat the same sequence, which may not be for a day or two. Any ideas? (other than continuing to berate the truck).

·
Registered
52 Posts
I OWN A 96 WITH THE SAME CONCERN I DO NOT WORK ON TRANNIES VERY OFTEN BUT I BELIVE THAT IT MAY BE A TORQUE CONVERTOR CLUTCH ISSUE TAKE IT TO A LOCAL TRANS SHOP ASK THEIR OPINION I AM NOW AT 276,000 MILES AS LONG AS ITS PULLING IM DRIVING

·
Registered
123 Posts
Howdy. Hey guys. Always check fluid level first, warm up your truck, go through all the gears and stop and put the vehicle in park or neutral. Then look at the fluid level. That being OK, I might also look into the "kickdown". On older cars these were vacuum controlled unit, and on newer cars they can be either vacuum controlled or solenoid operated. Most are external units, but some can be internal. If you're lucky to have the external type you can also remove this and bench test the unit. Still, 2eyefishclaw is probably right in that a specialty tranny shop will be your best bet. Automatics are pretty touchy and you definately want someone who knows a thing or two or three about them. Good luck.

-Kevin

1 - 3 of 3 Posts