Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,796 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As many know, TrooperChris picked up a 2001 trooper with a bum 4l30e for a song.http://forum.planetisuzoo.com/viewtopic.php?t=51387&highlight=We towed it home behind my old man's hummer (about 45 miles on the interstate) using some tow straps (hey, he had power steering and brakes!).

Chris came up and tried to do some tricks to the trans with no avail. Since the troop was at my folks house in Chattanooga, and he lives in Birmingham, he priced a tow dolly- $75 from uhaul. HF has a tow bar rated at 5,500 lbs for 99.99 on sale for 79.99 but with an extra 20% it was right at $60 (winning!).

We toyed around with tow points and how to attached tow bar to frame. Off came the bumper. We measured the distance between where the tow hook is bolted (passenger's side) and where another tow hook could be bolted on the driver's side. 20.5". I took a 2" x 3" angled steel bar that I had and notched it to let the 2" be horizontal and the 3" be vertical with an outside to oustide measurement of 22.5" so that the bolt holes were along the centerline of the 2" edge. Welded up the gaps. We then realized that the "adjustable tow bar" adjusted from 24" to 43" wide...we were at 22.5... So we added some 3" C- channel steel to either side so that the centerline of the tow bar was 22.5" apart (1.5"...eh? close enough). So now we have the wide "pi" shapped piece.

Some careful math and drafting let us drill the holes. Paint it, bolt it up and tow it home!

It took roughly 45" of steel angle plus about 6" of C for the wings (you could use something else, but its what we had).

With this design, you can leave the skid plate on, and we are 99% sure you can leave the bracket on with the bumper back on.

Don't forget to drop the driveshaft on the autos!!!!

·
Registered
676 Posts
Very clever, looks great!

·
Registered
2,796 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks! We looked at mounting it a bunch of different ways and this on only had us doing a few cuts and simple bends. Chris might chime in with more pictures and a testament as to how it drives. (I think he survived towing it!)

·
Registered
734 Posts
Yeah, it is a pretty cool design and also one that I can use again many times. Towed like a dream. 2nd Gen troopers can flat tow other troopers with no problems at all. My 3.2 had plenty of power and I could have run as fast as I wanted. Stopping was another story...haha, so I kept it at 55 or less. I'll have some pictures up later tonight but it really did tow very well.

·
Registered
6,859 Posts
That looks pretty solid. Making it easily removable using the factory bolt locations is a great idea. Those tie downs are already meant to hold the weight of the truck so I'd think they should work really well as tow points.

·
Registered
2,796 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
It was meant to be able to stay behind the original bumper cover, which I don't think was too hard to get off (Trooperchris did it before I got there). Once that is off, its a matter of sliding two pins through the bar and brackets and lining it up!

Don't forget to disconnect the driveshaft!

I'd allow 15-20 minutes to drop the driveshaft and hook the tow bar up, but I don't know about the bumper cover... Maybe another 15(depends on how nice it is!)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.