Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2000 Isuzu Trooper S 3.5l DOHC - Scheduled for heart surgery
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was planning on doing a radio and speaker upgrade write-up with photos.
Nope. Clickity-Clack life gives you a whack!

I've known that these Isuzu engines can get a bit tap-tap happy and it's fairly normal. Mine however may have crossed over a sound barrier into severe trouble.
  • First batch of codes: P0300, P1290, P1295
  • The sound is coming primarily from the area of cylinder 1
https://flic.kr/p/2mwk3gn
  • Does not go away at any RPM
  • Sounds like a diesel motor
  • 1x Oil & filter change with Rotella T4 and 5oz of Seafoam. New Napa filter.
  • Volume of sound dissipated...dull instead of sharp I would say.
https://flic.kr/p/2mwfUmU Throughout all of this power output seemed fairly consistent on test drives UNTIL....
A good sounding clunk and billowing smoke. I got it back in the garage and pulled number 1 plug.

Wood Spark plug Gas Audio equipment Engineering Wood Gas Plumbing Metal Hardwood
As you can tell by the pictures it was slammed pretty well and good. Unfortunately I hadn't pulled any of the plugs beforehand so I am unsure if this was a long-standing issue. It backed into the garage with as much noise and smoke with it pulled as it had with it in.

I've spent a good chunk of time wandering older posts on this same issue. I'm expecting the worst but hopeful of at least learning some valuable information. I was going to work my way through fault checks replacing as I went, the end goal being the timing belt and associated items. This new issue seems a bit more severe.

Is there anything I can look into or check at this point or is this an engine out problem? Pulling it out isn't an issue, just would like to exhaust some other options first if possible.
I'll try to provide any additional information that can help. Hopefully an Isuzu-guru(s) out there have sage advice for this novice. Thanks!

·
Registered
9,708 Posts
Borescope down #1 hole. There used to be plenty of "inspection cameras" on ebay. Basically a cable that plugs into a USB port and a CD disc. Then you'll have an idea of what's going on in there. I lean towards a dropped valve. Dennis

Reactions: Mayor_West

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Borescope down #1 hole. There used to be plenty of "inspection cameras" on ebay. Basically a cable that plugs into a USB port and a CD disc. Then you'll have an idea of what's going on in there. I lean towards a dropped valve. Dennis
Thank you, this is a great suggestion. I have an inspection camera for checking electrical runs inside walls; now it gets a fun new use.

I'll pull the other plugs and see what kind of pictures I can take. I'll be back and post my results. In the meantime any other suggestions would be welcomed!

·
Registered
4,324 Posts
A bad hydraulic belt tensioner can sound like a rod knock. But the damage to the spark plug makes it very likely that something has self-destructed in that cylinder. I reckon the borescope examination will tell a lot.

IDK if the piston overtraveled due to a spun rod bearing, if it could hit the spark plug like that. Maybe a broken valve or chunk of piston, hard to say. Something sure did travel thru the combustion chamber!

How's the oil pressure after the incident?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Something sure did travel thru the combustion chamber!
Well...
Window Blue Automotive mirror Automotive lighting Vehicle door Rectangle Windscreen wiper Font Automotive exterior Tints and shades

I was able to get a scope down today and after looking at the images I didn't explore much further.

Any ideas on how to formulate my next steps, and or budget friendly options? The truck is in good shape otherwise and I would aim to keep it. Not too many wandering up here in Minnesota in any sort of shape let alone decent. :)
Thanks all!

·
Registered
4,324 Posts
Time for a rebuild or engine replacement. Looks like some major destruction, hopefully it didn't hurt the block. Might need a replacement head as well, depends on if a valve busted or how beat-up the combustion chamber is.

3.5 crankshafts don't take well to weld repairs, and they can be hard to find. Hopefully the one in your 3.5 is ok.

You might start looking for a cheap 3.5 Trooper with a bad transmission and a good engine. There are no shortage of those up in the PNW!

Try the Pick-n-Pull yard inventory or www.car-part.com for wrecking yards near and far.

There are also a number of complete engines on eBay:

HTH & Good Luck!..............ed

·
Registered
4,324 Posts
This search pulls up a few more:

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have questions!!🙋‍♂️

Currently it's the stock 3.5l in my 2000, with 220k. When I pull this what other items should I check on while I'll have access? The steering column boot needs attention, so that's on my list. Keeping with the 3.5, are there certain models that made improvements over my 2000? I see a 3.5 from a 2002 Axiom, would this work? I assume I transfer most of my current electricals to the replacement lump?

Thanks again for the great assistance! I'm coming from a lifetime of wrenching on small British classics & old chevy trucks to this modern world of computer controllers and OBD blinking.😂

·
Registered
11,763 Posts
Keeping with the 3.5, are there certain models that made improvements over my 2000? I see a 3.5 from a 2002 Axiom, would this work? I assume I transfer most of my current electricals to the replacement lump?
The 00-02 Trooper 3.5L engines are identical, the 02-03 Axiom 3.5L is the same engine as the 00-02 Trooper.
The 04 Axiom 3.5L is Gasoline Direct Injection (GDI) engine and is not interchangeable with the non GDI engine. Same applies to a 04 Rodeo 3.5L GDI engine.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The 00-02 Trooper 3.5L engines are identical, the 02-03 Axiom 3.5L is the same engine as the 00-02 Trooper.
The 04 Axiom 3.5L is Gasoline Direct Injection (GDI) engine and is not interchangeable with the non GDI engine. Same applies to a 04 Rodeo 3.5L GDI engine.
Thank you! That’s immensely helpful to know as I start my shopping list.

·
Registered
11,763 Posts
Thank you! That’s immensely helpful to know as I start my shopping list.
Btw, a 00-04 Rodeo 3.2L is the essentially the same engine as a 00-02 Trooper 3.5L. The 3.5L is a stroked version of the 3.2L. If you can't find a 3.5L a 3.2L is a good substitute, swapping over the engine wiring harness is all that is necessary to use the 3.2L.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Btw, a 00-04 Rodeo 3.2L is the essentially the same engine as a 00-02 Trooper 3.5L. The 3.5L is a stroked version of the 3.2L. If you can't find a 3.5L a 3.2L is a good substitute, swapping over the engine wiring harness is all that is necessary to use the 3.2L.
Again, thank you! I take it that it mates up to the AT without issue?
I'm sure it's written in other posts, but are there major pros & cons with the two engines? I use my truck as a daily driver with Minnesota snow & cold being its only adventure, if that makes a difference in which is preferable.

·
Registered
11,763 Posts
Again, thank you! I take it that it mates up to the AT without issue?
I'm sure it's written in other posts, but are there major pros & cons with the two engines? I use my truck as a daily driver with Minnesota snow & cold being its only adventure, if that makes a difference in which is preferable.
A high mileage 3.5L usually burns a more oil than the 3.2L which is why you probably will have a hard time finding a useable 3.5L. A lot a Troopers went to the crusher with a blown engine.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
A high mileage 3.5L usually burns a more oil than the 3.2L which is why you probably will have a hard time finding a useable 3.5L. A lot a Troopers went to the crusher with a blown engine.
I've found an 3.5l with ~90k on the engine and am trying to talk down the $1800 tag to something much more reasonable.
Seems people up here ran them into the ground. Left with trucks that have a cancerous structural rust & blown engines. I'd much rather put this in a more clean ride, but right now engines are more plentiful. C'est la Vie....

I'll keep this post updated. Thanks all. If anyone thinks of anything useful I may need or what to do, please let me know!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts