Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1990 Isuzu Trooper V6
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just picked up a 1990 trooper V6 and it has fluid dripping. Is there any problem if I remove the skid plate protectors underneath and drive around on pavement for a couple weeks? I'm thinking that could help me isolate the source and repair it.

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
You'll be completely fine without the skid plates while just driving on the street. I mean, not if you hit something that would cause damage, but even with the skid plates on that's wouldn't be ideal.

·
Registered
1990 Isuzu Trooper V6
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
You'll be completely fine without the skid plates while just driving on the street. I mean, not if you hit something that would cause damage, but even with the skid plates on that's wouldn't be ideal.
Thanks Enemigo! I figured there was nothing structural to them, just wanted to be sure.

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
Indeed, take the plates off, then spray degreaser and/or spray brake cleaner as much as you can all around the the power/drive train to clean off the sludge/crud as much as you can so it'll make it easier to see fresh fluid. Common trouble areas are the oil pan (which is a special kind of hell since you have to lower the front diff to take it off and re-dress the gasketing), and the trannie/x-fer case areas. Trannie fill is passenger side halfway (28mm) and the drain is on the driver side (also 28mm). One of the issues with these is the seals on the trannie begin to fail and allow fluid migration from the trannie, into the x-fer case. There is a vent on top of the x-fer case, and fluid will come out if the x-fer case fills up with oil. Mine does this, especially when hot or when towing so I have to keep an eye on the trannie level (motor oil, 5w-30 NOT gear oil). Good luck with the ride. Mine is still hovering right at 200,000 on the clock.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts