Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
11,921 Posts
Fuel Pressure is not monitored by the OBDII system so a fuel delivery problem would not create a diagnostic trouble code. I recommend you buy a fuel pressure gauge to check the fuel pressure at the test port. You should also consider buying a scan tool that can monitor live data so you can retrieve engine sensor data monitored by the ODB II system to help in troubleshooting.
Btw, a 02 (96-02) Trooper has a Powertrain Control Module (PCM) as opposed to an Engine Control Module (ECM). The PCM controls the engine and 4L30e transmission. You can swap the PCM in your truck with one from a 00-02 Trooper with 4L30e transmission. Additionally, TOD is not part of the transmission, there is a separate TOD "computer".

·
Registered
11,921 Posts
The PCM is a swap out part but it seldom fails so it is not likely you would need to replace the PCM. A replacement for your truck has to come from a 00-02 Trooper with 4L30e.

For the engine to just stop running and then restart after a few hours suggests a fuel delivery problem. In some rare instances the engine shuts down on fuel exhaustion because the gas tank vent valve is plugged with debris so a vacuum is created in the tank as fuel is removed. When the vacuum gets high enough the fuel pump can't pump fuel. If the engine shuts off again while your driving loosen the gas cap and see if it will restart. If I recall correctly, a 02 Trooper gas tank has a drain valve. I don't believe you can buy a useful live data scan tool for 100 bucks, maybe a code reader but not a scan tool. I would defer cleaning the PCM contacts for now because the the problem does not seem to be PCM related. Recommend you install a new set of single platinum spark plugs. Fram/Autolite AP3924 spark plugs are inexpensive and work well with the installed Ion Sensing Ignition System in your truck.

If you have O2 sensor codes set what are the DTC numbers?

1 - 2 of 2 Posts